Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie’s 2017 Season Preview

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:

The difference between MM and Bucks in my opinion is defence. MM made damn sure every player knew that they had to defend as well as attack. We gotta fill those holes. Jezza s comments give me some hope, round one that's what I'll be looking for.

As an aside, Faz cops a lot of flack here, (not from me) and I think some of it comes from the fact after he misses or loses the ball, he doesn't do enough to get it back. Watch Billy Elliot chase down a lost ball.

Buckley made Faz play in defence in the VFL to learn to defend so he does make players defend as well as attack. The problem is that defending becomes harder the more attacking the game plan is.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

neil wrote:
think positive wrote:

The difference between MM and Bucks in my opinion is defence. MM made damn sure every player knew that they had to defend as well as attack. We gotta fill those holes. Jezza s comments give me some hope, round one that's what I'll be looking for.

As an aside, Faz cops a lot of flack here, (not from me) and I think some of it comes from the fact after he misses or loses the ball, he doesn't do enough to get it back. Watch Billy Elliot chase down a lost ball.

Buckley made Faz play in defence in the VFL to learn to defend so he does make players defend as well as attack. The problem is that defending becomes harder the more attacking the game plan is.

As anything in life striking the correct balance is the hardest thing.
In our game the balance has to tip toward offence but the more offensive your game plan gets, the smarter footy players you need to cope with the defensive rebound of the opposition.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm not sure if I have it in me to do this again for 2018, but I'm starting to turn my mind to the offseason.

If media reports of contract offers to Grundy (3 years), Cox (2 years), Phillips (2 years), Varcoe (1 year) and Goldsack (1 year) are correct and we assume that they are finalised, then I understand that leaves the following players currently in limbo for 2018:

Blair (RFA)
Sinclair (RFA)
Ramsay
Crocker
Wills
Smith
Keeffe (FA)
Thomas (FA)
Sier

plus the four rookies

McCarthy
Schade
Mackie
Lynch

I also would not be surprised if:

* an attempt were made to negotiate an early exit with Mayne; and
* Oxley (contracted to 2018) were traded north.

White retiring provides one of the three compulsory list changes.

Of those in limbo, my comments are:

Blair (RFA) - likely to be left until the last minute and if a list spot is available, he will be re-signed relatively cheaply as a depth player.
Sinclair (RFA) - I fear concussions and other injuries may have ended his career.
Ramsay - injuries also an issue, but likely to get an extension or at least a rookie offer.
Crocker - one of my favourite stories, but hasn't shown a lot yet. May (or may not) get a one year offer or rookie offer.
Wills - was sensational in 2016 and afflicted by injury in 2017. Can't see him not getting an offer and surprised he is uncontracted.
Smith - more than any other, his future may hang on whether Buckley is still around. If he is, then an extension is likely.
Keeffe (FA) - no senior opportunity suggests his time is up and a possible delist.
Thomas (FA) - has mostly impressed in his return. Possible extension.
Sier - no senior time for our top pick in that draft year. If they have faith in him still then I would expect the club to take the risk of moving him to the rookie list rather than keeping him on the senior list.

Our main immediate needs are a KPF and KPB and whilst we may have the opportunity for a KP prospect in the draft, I would expect the club to be open to trading to fill those gaps and/or looking at FAs and RFAs.

Of those known to be "available" at this stage, my #1 target would be Luke Hodge (albeit not a KPF or KPB) on a play-then-coach contract to settle and be the general in our backline (teaching the kids along the way - Sharenberg, Maynard, Ramsay - and bringing some Hawks IP). He would slot into Crisp's current slot and free Crisp back into the depth of midfield.

Eric McKenzie seems to be a possible RFA pick up to fill a KPB position.

Jake Lever from Adelaide has been mentioned, but would be expensive in trade cost.

Trade-wise Gold Coast look to be a rotting carcase worth picking over. If we have the capital, Lynch, Hall, McKenzie and Matera would all be worth a shot.

Kelly would be a nice get from GWS (unlikely given the $ and interest), but Smith and/or Hopper might be attainable.

It will be an interesting offseason. We should know the main actions out the club-wide review in the next week or so and then I expect a lot of activity.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

I think I slot into Crisp's current slot and free Crisp back into the depth of midfield.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:59 pm

HAL wrote:
I think I slot into Crisp's current slot and free Crisp back into the depth of midfield.

You are confusing Crisp with a USB stick.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:21 pm

So, if I told you, as you were previewing season 2017, that we'd finish 13th, and that Buckley would be given a TWO YEAR extension within a few days of that, what would you have said?

I know what I said, but if the federal police were listening they'd probably drop in to say hello.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: