Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie’s 2017 Season Preview

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ ^^^

Wow! Perfect sense here E.

The club are definitely damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I prefer it when they do; better to take a risk and fail than wonder what it might have been. So many examples of us NOT taking a risk inn the past and then wondering about what would have happened IF we got John Kennedy as coach, Quinlan, Lockett etc. etc. These are the very same posters who whinge/whine and sook about Wells... Evil or Very Mad Mad

And what is it with this frigging fascination with their pay? Have we bloody become Nick's razor gang over the summer? The club manages that and lets leave it to those who know FFS. I know this will cut the scope for whinging but they will ultimately find some boot studder to carry on their insatiable sooking about. Rolling Eyes

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Lazza wrote:
^^^ ^^^

Wow! Perfect sense here E.

The club are definitely damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I prefer it when they do; better to take a risk and fail than wonder what it might have been. So many examples of us NOT taking a risk inn the past and then wondering about what would have happened IF we got John Kennedy as coach, Quinlan, Lockett etc. etc. These are the very same posters who whinge/whine and sook about Wells... Evil or Very Mad Mad

And what is it with this frigging fascination with their pay? Have we bloody become Nick's razor gang over the summer? The club manages that and lets leave it to those who know FFS. I know this will cut the scope for whinging but they will ultimately find some boot studder to carry on their insatiable sooking about. Rolling Eyes

You just had to ruin my day by mentioning Quinlan. It made me angry then and it makes me even more angry now. He wanted in and Tommy wanted him. But, we wouldn't pay that much but bloody pauper Fitzroy did! That is one decision that left our premiership cabinet barer than it would otherwise have been.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:44 pm

^^^ ^^^

Yep totally agree.

I wont spoil your day any further but I can think of at least 4 other occasions (including Steve Johnson) where Collingwood didn't take a risk with recruiting. I know all about bloody risk minimisation and all that but sometimes you just need to bite the bloody bullet with certain (maybe injury prone) players and go for it. Other clubs like Hawthorn do this regularly and sometimes they fail badly but at least they have a go. Even the Bulldogs and Saints have started taking risks now and it is paying off. I don't go to their fan forums but I'll be extremely surprised if they have the amount of posters we have here on Nick's sooking about Wells, Mayne etc in an area that was once reserved for Corrie, Tristan Walker and Armstrong Rolling Eyes

Also, who gives a flying crap about what players get? Is it good club management if they bring us a bloody flag that these <snip, you're a serial offender with insults, cut it out - the mods> on Nick's want so badly??? Or will they still be whinging at the Premiership celebrations about how much so and so got for bringing us success? Question Evil or Very Mad Mad FMD Shocked

Tezza23 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Collingwood have taken plenty of risks with players over the years. Some have worked others haven't. Included in these are the current risks of Sharenberg, Aish, Cox, Sier, McLarty and Kirby. All have question marks over them, but as always you can only tell if a risk has worked or not after a reasonable time - usually a season or two at least. The Wells/Dunn/Mayne decisions are no different.

PS - While it was true that Collingwood did not opt to pursue Lockett it was highly improbable that Collingwood could have ever met St.Kilda huge asking price. If you remember he actually signed with Richmond, but St Kilda asked for far too much and Richmond did not want to meet the outlandish price so he ended up at Sydney
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:47 pm

Are Lazza, Jezza and Tezza related? Coz that's a lot of Zs.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 am

MightyMagpie wrote:

Don't hold it against us Wink

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:39 am

MightyMagpie wrote:

More Zs than a snoring cartoon character...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:58 am

E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It may not be, MB, but it feels more poetic than, say, "What the f$&@ were those ar$&hats thinking when they took this broken-down hack that was considered too old even for the Pauperoos on a f($&ing 37 year contract at $23 million per season???!!!!" Wink

Wells played 19 games in 2016 if i'm not mistaken and led the kangaroos (a team that played in finals) in brownlow medal votes. He is certainly a risk due to age and prior injury record (although 19 games in 2016 might be evidence that he's not dead yet). with all that said, i might agree that you can exaggerate here and say "broken down" and "old".

But a hack????? Dumbest comment maybe ever made on Nicks.

The guy is an out and out gun. One of the most talented players in the league. Game changer, Difference maker. Might be the best player on our list when fit (some might argue pendles is slightly better and perhaps Sidey and Treloar are on par, but no-one else is better than him).

We keep bitching that we miss out on the gun players. We complain that the hawks recruited Lake who took them to a couple of flags. and then, when we take the sam e brave chances that the Hawks took, somehow everyone starts screaming WTF.

You will never be satisfied.

True but the Hawks get them while they are still kicking. He's old as well as injured. How much has he got left in him? These kids will need more than a year. If we pulled a Dangerfield move then we could cheer. But even so, he's hasn't been enough.

The difference between MM and Bucks in my opinion is defence. MM made damn sure every player knew that they had to defend as well as attack. We gotta fill those holes. Jezza s comments give me some hope, round one that's what I'll be looking for.

As an aside, Faz cops a lot of flack here, (not from me) and I think some of it comes from the fact after he misses or loses the ball, he doesn't do enough to get it back. Watch Billy Elliot chase down a lost ball.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:39 am

E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It may not be, MB, but it feels more poetic than, say, "What the f$&@ were those ar$&hats thinking when they took this broken-down hack that was considered too old even for the Pauperoos on a f($&ing 37 year contract at $23 million per season???!!!!" Wink

Wells played 19 games in 2016 if i'm not mistaken and led the kangaroos (a team that played in finals) in brownlow medal votes. He is certainly a risk due to age and prior injury record (although 19 games in 2016 might be evidence that he's not dead yet). with all that said, i might agree that you can exaggerate here and say "broken down" and "old".

The guy is an out and out gun. One of the most talented players in the league. Game changer, Difference maker. Might be the best player on our list when fit (some might argue pendles is slightly better and perhaps Sidey and Treloar are on par, but no-one else is better than him).

We keep bitching that we miss out on the gun players. We complain that the hawks recruited Lake who took them to a couple of flags. and then, when we take the same brave chances that the Hawks took, somehow everyone starts screaming WTF.

You need to relax. My comment was obviously a joke, hence the wink at the end. I don't really understand how you could miss this. Or did you think that I was seriously suggesting he is 37 and is being paid $23 Million per season?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:53 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
I kinda enjoy Dyso's meltdowns...

For The Season is long, and The Bat is patient. Surprised

Stay tuned!

69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Clokey's first shot on goal last game was a ripper apparently, today it went out on the full. If we still had him, would we play him considering the current alternatives?
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Updated my best 22 for Round 1 today (10/3/17 pre-Richmond JLT game):

Steps:

1) Anyone averaging > 10 AFLPRP gets in (I'm including Elliott for this purpose as I'm pretty sure he would have back in 2015 when fit).

FF Elliott XXX Fasolo
HF XXX XXX Crisp
C Sidebottom Treloar XXX
HB Howe XXX XXX
B Maynard XXX Aish
R Grundy Pendlebury Adams
Int XXX XXX XXX XXX

(remove Langdon and Wills for Rd1 as insufficient game.)

2) Structural needs (2nd ruck/forward, KP backs, KP forwards).

FF Elliott Cox Fasolo
HF White Moore Crisp
C Sidebottom Treloar Phillips
HB Howe Reid XXX
B Maynard Dunn Aish
Int XXX XXX XXX XXX

(replace Keeffe with Dunn. White in for Wills.)

3) Consider recent FA/trade additions (Wells, Mayne, Dunn, Hoskin-Elliott).

FF Elliott Cox Fasolo
HF White Moore Crisp
C Sidebottom Treloar XXX
HB Howe Reid XXX
B Maynard Dunn Aish
Int XXX XXX XXX Hoskin-Elliott

(I currently have Keeffe and Schade as next cabs off the rank if KPB or KPF goes down).

Dunn in. WHE tick. Wells insufficient game time for Rd1. Mayne cross (see what happens today).

4) Rd1 Prediction right now:

FF Elliott Cox Fasolo
HF White Moore Crisp
C Sidebottom Treloar Phillips
HB Howe Reid Goldsack
B Maynard Dunn Aish
Int Greenwood De Goey Varcoe Hoskin-Elliott
Emg Blair Smith Mayne

LTI: Sinclair

VFL practice matches (needing game time before being available for selection): Wells, Langdon, Keeffe, Wills, Broomhead, Oxley, Ramsay, Scharenberg.

VFL (probably relying on injuries for games in 2017): Brown, Crocker, Daicos, Kirby, Lynch, Mackie, McCarthy, McLarty, Schade, Sier and Thomas.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:44 pm

Half time:

Smith tick
Ramsay tick
Mayne cross still for me, so VFL
WHE tick
Dunn no game time so far an issue
Greenwood not named, an issue?

Full time:

as above except
Mayne got some shots and pressured, but still not clear best 22 for me
Dunn played second half
Blair was Blair

I expect my 25 is close to the mark and that emergencies will come from Greenwood, Aish, Smith, Mayne and Blair.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Rohan Conolley at the Age has written his annual ladder prediction piece.

Unlike most other footy writers he has Collingwood in the 8 at H&A season’s end:

Collingwood? I can see the eye rolls from here. But surely they are overdue a bit of luck on the injury front.

Importantly, the Pies have pumped another year's experience into a considerable army of younger players. Jordan De Goey, Brayden Maynard, Josh Smith and Tom Phillips are just a few who have shown good signs in pre-season.

Not everyone has been a fan of their top-ups from other clubs. But former Docker Chris Mayne and Giant Will Hoskin-Elliott could make a difference up forward, alongside a healthier Jamie Elliott and Alex Fasolo, enough support for the very promising Darcy Moore.

The defence still looks a little thin for height and strength. But there's no denying the class and depth of the Pies' midfield now. Daniel Wells would be merely the icing on the cake for the likes of Pendlebury, Treloar, Sidebottom, Adams, Greenwood, Crisp and so on. I give the Pies another chance.

If they don't make it this year, coach Nathan Buckley has conceded he's as good as gone. I might be in a bit of trouble, too, after going out on a limb for them once again.

Read the rest (paywall free) at: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/rohan-connolly-predicts-the-2017-afl-season-final-ladder-20170316-guzkfk.html
E 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
E wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

We keep bitching that we miss out on the gun players. We complain that the hawks recruited Lake who took them to a couple of flags. and then, when we take the same brave chances that the Hawks took, somehow everyone starts screaming WTF.

You need to relax. My comment was obviously a joke, hence the wink at the end. I don't really understand how you could miss this. Or did you think that I was seriously suggesting he is 37 and is being paid $23 Million per season?

Mate, you can say what you like. You weren't joking, you were just exaggerating to make your point. I didn't dispute anything you said (including the exaggeration) EXCEPT for two things:

1) you called Wells a hack when he is a top 10 calibre talent.
2) your point was that the club maybe erred in recruiting this broken down old player on a large salary. I say NOTHING VENTURED NOTHING GAINED!

Go pies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: