Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Picking 3 youngsters to emerge in 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, I think you are grossly underestimating how improved our forward line will be.

Hoskin-Elliot is a gun! And Faz is a gun. Its almost certain that one of Pendles, Wells, Varcoe or Sidebottom will be forward at all times adding a star to the mix AT ALL TIMES

Finally, given that we will have BOTH Blair and Mayne up there, once the ball goes in, it aint ever coming out!!!!!!!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:35 am

E wrote:
OK guys, I think you are grossly underestimating how improved our forward line will be.

Hoskin-Elliot is a gun! And Faz is a gun. Its almost certain that one of Pendles, Wells, Varcoe or Sidebottom will be forward at all times adding a star to the mix AT ALL TIMES

Finally, given that we will have BOTH Blair and Mayne up there, once the ball goes in, it aint ever coming out!!!!!!!

I was with you until you mentioned Blair. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and he is a serviceable player for us. But seriously, if we are to significantly improve, then others must jump the queue making him a reliable, but nonetheless, a depth player only.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:39 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
E wrote:

I was with you until you mentioned Blair. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and he is a serviceable player for us. But seriously, if we are to significantly improve, then others must jump the queue making him a reliable, but nonetheless, a depth player only.

Agreed; if he commands a game in 2017, then something is seriously wrong with our trading/list management over the last two years.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:39 pm

E wrote:

why do you want to stir the pot?

kk blind folded will have more impact this year than …..blair

E 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:32 am

ok you got me. I threw Blair in there to see if anyone was reading my post!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:03 pm

Imagine if all the players who look like taking the next step actually did?! Of course we still have by far the worst coach in the game, and try as I might I can't remember a premiership side with a dud coach. This century all the flags have gone to coaches like Sheedy, Pagan, Roos, Woosher, Matthews, Williams, and, Malthouse, Thompson, and Clarkson. I guess Longmire didn't have a brilliant coaching CV, but of course like Scott for Geelong he simply took over from a great & didn't change much, if anything! And before anyone calls Bomber a dud, he had his side from 11th to finals in the first year, and by '04 they missed out on a Granny by single figures. I can't even think of a coach who took a top side and had them lower on the ladder with each of his 5 years. It's unheard of.
Yes, we undoubtedly have the talent to do anything, go anywhere, win flags. But we also had hat in 2012, & 2013, maybe not 2014 after the big cleanout of champions (although we were in the top 4 at halfway, just as we were in 2015. This year was different. Despite finding some great players & landing a top 5 mid we were all over the place. Beating top sides & going down to crap ones. We should have an even better side in 2017, but the results of the last 5 years simply can't be laid at the feet of the playing group/s.

Anyone who knows our game could look at our performances, and without knowing who the coach & players were, or even which side it was, tell you that those results can ONLY be caused by poor coaching & a poor culture.
What they probably couldn’t figure out was the Dictatorial President who admitted being just that after the Carlton nightmare in May.
This is just not a recipe for success. The fact that we haven't even done a coaching review is the last straw. Eddie McLiar now has to go before Collingwood can be successful again. I love Eddie, always have, and I wish it weren't true, but back in May he swore he'd always put the club first.

He hasn't done that, instead we got the utterly dishonest farce they called the members night. Two hours of how great Buckley is and how great 2017 will be. There were questions from members of course, but strangely not one was critical of Coach or President, instead people asked about memberships and which seats they'd get. What a crock!
Failure is one thing, but lying, misinformation & misdirection Penn & Teller would be proud of (women's team anyone?) is NOT the recipe for a successful club.

As the OP says, we have a fantastic pool of young talent and I can't wait to see how DeGoey, Aish, & Maynard will perform, and watch Brodes take the next step & take his place as one of the top 3 or 4 Rucks in the game. Very hard to name just 3 though. Smith & Wills were revelations this year, and the three "sons of" could be outright guns. Moore almost is, and Brown will show his wares in 2017, & while Daicos might take longer, he could be the best of the lot.

So much to look forward to, but how can they possibly do more than finish between 6-8, and maybe win a final? And that is NOT a rhetorical question! How?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:07 pm

How? Because of out of the eight draftees only Schade can be reasonably expected to play any AFL footy in 2017 (and even he looks skinny on the training track). Of the senior playing group returning from their after season break, a few are on modified programs, such as Reid, Oxley, Langdon, De Goey, Broomhead, Elliot and Wells and a couple, in Grundy and Goldsack are yet to be sighted. It's going to take months to get this playing group to gel together and most of the positions on the football ground, I think would be up for grabs depending on form and injury.

A finishing position of 6-8 at the end of the 2017 season in my opinion, is a bit optimistic given the maturity of the playing group, but you never know, given the success of the WB's in 2016. I would take every win we can get in 2017 as a positive sign that our overhaul of the list is starting to succeed, but to expect success on the basis that we have a great young playing group is downplaying the young lists of other teams like GWS and the Bulldogs. Then to discredit our senior coach and president, if we don't have success in 2017, is pretty pointless.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:13 pm

35forever wrote:
Imagine if all the players who look like taking the next step actually did?! Of course we still have by far the worst coach in the game, and try as I might I can't remember a premiership side with a dud coach.

Alan Joyce?

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:35 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
How? Because of out of the eight draftees only Schade can be reasonably expected to play any AFL footy in 2017 (and even he looks skinny on the training track). Of the senior playing group returning from their after season break, a few are on modified programs, such as Reid, Oxley, Langdon, De Goey, Broomhead, Elliot and Wells and a couple, in Grundy and Goldsack are yet to be sighted. It's going to take months to get this playing group to gel together and most of the positions on the football ground, I think would be up for grabs depending on form and injury.

A finishing position of 6-8 at the end of the 2017 season in my opinion, is a bit optimistic given the maturity of the playing group, but you never know, given the success of the WB's in 2016. I would take every win we can get in 2017 as a positive sign that our overhaul of the list is starting to succeed, but to expect success on the basis that we have a great young playing group is downplaying the young lists of other teams like GWS and the Bulldogs. Then to discredit our senior coach and president, if we don't have success in 2017, is pretty pointless.

My God Mr Buckley, do you seriously think I haven't heard the "It's the players" argument? About a thousand times!? There ARE only 2 arguments in existence in Suckley's favour! This one, and the old "but he's been so unlucky with injuries - for FIVE straight seasons, making him the unluckiest coach in the history of sport!" And you even managed to work this into your answer!
I've heard nothing but these two lonely arguments in five long, long, long years! I'm STILL waiting for an example of brilliant coaching from this total dud, and I've been asking for 3 years, but not a sausage!

Now you tell me Reid, Oxley, Langdon, De Goey, Broomhead, Elliot and Wells are already injured? So with the 7 non-starter rookies we'll have 12 players compromised and it's still only 2016! Of course there will be more injuries before Round 1. What if there are 7 of them? We face the reigning premiers with 21 guys?
So that's gonna be SIX straight seasons of being decimated by injuries? Be honest, tell me how many more years do we have to be crippled by injuries before you start to consider something OTHER than sheer bad luck? I can pretty much guarantee that Buckley will NEVER go into Rd.1 with a full list. Why is it that no coach in history has ever had even 3 such years? Look it up! The most I can find is two. Really, what you're saying is that we may as well write off 2017. Actually, I already had, and yet I would bet anyone $1000 that if we had a new coach we would finish 2017 in the uppermost 4 spots. Watch & see who the duds of '17 are... North, Richmond, Port, and us. The only sides who have retained coaches who've had time to prove they ain't up to it.
What really shits me to tears is that people here think I delight in bashing the former champion. I wish to god with every fibre of my being that Buckley had turned out to be "The Man".
But it just isn't possible, no coach that I can remember has taken a side from Minor prems to laughing stocks in just 4 years, certainly not one that got a 5th and then 6th year despite ever deteriorating results!!!
Stuff mentions Alan Joyce, and there may be a case for calling him a "dud", certainly he was seen as not much more than a 'caretaker' for Alan Jeans, however a guy who wins a flag in his first year, and another 2 years later, oh and with a batting average of 63% (against Buckleys 53%), hardly qualifies as a complete dud... I wish Suckley was such a dud! But I do see what you mean, even though we had to go all the way back to the 80s!
Chris Scott could be put in the same basket, taking over from a great coach and changing nothing brought instant success (but he's only won 2 finals since of the 8 Geelong have played in).

The evidence for Buckley's extreme 'dudness', is overwhelming, how can any side he coaches win a flag? It just isn't possible! He would be a FAR better chance if he went to another club, but it ain't gonna happen at Collingwood, I would hand over my 1969 Fender Stratocaster to be wrong!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Rickshaw 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I don't normally post on this blog but reading the rubbish that people like 35forever post, I wonder if I am truly on the correct supporters site.

I have joined the "bleed black and white' face book page where people like him are totally barred. Maybe the mods on this site should use their discretion to weed out posters that just want to denigrate the club.

I wonder how successful posters like him would be if they replaced the people that they criticise.

If you can't support the club during good and bad times you have the choice to support another team. But then you'd probably criticise them as well because that is the type of person that you are.

Mods if this is over the top just ban me.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:58 pm

My hopes would be with

1. Scharenberg.... the sooner we get games into him the closer our side will be towards a premiership, he has real potential.

2. Broomhead.... From what I have read and seen, he is a classy footballer with skills and reads the game very well. Future 200 gamer.

3. Toss up between Aish, Degoey and Moore. Which one of these players would step up. Given that I am expecting Moore to step up, then I would hope for Aish. Simply because he has pedigree and looks a natural footy player. If he becomes the player I hope then he would be a pleasure to watch.

Sorry to Degoey but he will probably come good next year, anyway. Wills I am hoping something big from him as that would be an absolute bonus seeing we got him cheaply and as a speculative pick.

Also sorry to Ramsay, Maynard, Crocker, Sier, Elliott, Crisp, Smith and even Fasolo.

How good would it be to see Fas uninjured and kick 70+goals next year!

Another who I would like to see go well is 23 year old Henry Schade, who looks a talent and obviously has something to offer (pick 24 in 2011). He could be a steal for us.

You wont see me complain either if Kirby and McLarty have their way in 2017......where to fit them all in though....

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:11 pm

My dream team

Maynard, Dunn, Scharenberg
Varcoe, Reid, Ramsay
Broomhead, Adams, Wells
WHE, Mayne, Sidebottom
Elliott, Moore, Fasolo
Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar
Aish, Schade, DeGoey, Crisp

Emerg...Smith, Wills, White, Greenwood, Phillips, Sinclair, Blair, Langdon.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:46 pm

35Forever. You say we have such a great bunch of young talent, to which I wholeheartedly agree and you also say we have a dud coach.

Most of that young talent who came to our club said they did so BECAUSE of Buckley. They want to be coached by him.

If it wasn't for Bucks, some of that talent wouldn't be at our club. Whether you like it or not, Bucks is our coach, as a supporter of the Pies I will back him in, support him and the group. I want success, and uniting gives you the best chance. Go Bucks, Go Pies!

Stevo75 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:17 pm

Well said Rickshaw! The sooner people who continually find a way to bag the club go away the better this site will be. The quality of posters now compared to when I originally signed up has dropped dramatically and the same people hijack every thread and fill it with negativity.

For the sake of the topic I would love to see Langdon, Ramsay and Cox get a sustained run at it this year as they all have tremendous upside. Fingers crossed for Sharenberg too who has obvious talent but has been cruelled thus far by injury.
Regardless, whoever fronts up every week has my full support as a paid up member and lifelong supporter.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:22 pm

I hope we can make the deadline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: