Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Picking 3 youngsters to emerge in 2017

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:29 am
Post subject: Picking 3 youngsters to emerge in 2017Reply with quote

Obviously if we are to have a successful season in 2017 and win some finals, then our whole team will need to improve. With players like Moore, Treloar, Smith and Howe already performing well, I wonder, of our other younger players, who will emerge and really go up a level in 2017. Here's my tips/hopes:

1. Jordan De Goey - after showing a lot of promise in his first year, he was a tad disappointing in 2016, though finished off the season quite well. There were rumours that he was a bit of a party boy and lacked the discipline needed to become a gun player. I don't take too much notice of this. He's still a kid and probably just needed to grow up a bit. If he can perform in the midfield as he was in the pre-season last year, then he can become a real match winner for us and provide both grunt and class on the ball.

2. Jackson Ramsay - after having 2 seasons ruined by injury, let's hope this kid has an injury free season. He has enormous potential and can become a real weapon off the half back line, with his running power, grunt work, intercept marking and good disposal skills.

3. Tom Langdon - had a season cruelled by injury, but had been earmarked earlier as a future leader of our club. Slight question marks remain over his pace and kicking, but I think they are exaggerated. Assuming he can remain fit, he can become a genuine swing man for us, able to be used at both ends of the ground.

I could have listed Scharenberg, but given his shocking history of injuries, I suspect he will need most of the year just to find his way as an AFL player. If he does well, then I'd expect him to really take off in 2018. Phillips, Crocker and Cox should all improve, but I'm not expecting any of them to dominate. Aish, could possibly emerge, but I'm still a little unconvinced of his potential. I hope he proves me wrong. I haven't listed Adams, as I reckon he's already a gun player, but should be even better if he can remain injury free. The smoky is Rupert Wills, imo; a player who might become a genuine gun or else could remain a bit player - having already got as good as he's going to become.

Obviously, there will be improvement coming from new players such as Hoskin-Elliott, Wells, Mayne, and our other draftees, but I'm interested here in our existing players ready to blossom.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times does aish need to prove you wrong? he came from a organisation that held him up from injuries that flowed into his first preseason at the pies which halted his game day confidence early in the season. he then found that confidence in the twos(whether that's coaching performance from tapping or not, who's to say) then came back and grew in each game there on. he's positioning around the ground in congestion and as a link player shows that he as a looong career in front of him in footy. we won't mention his marking, decision making and his kicking abilities as that is plain for all to see.
so with a full preseason and a settled lineup the other two to take a few by surprise will be wills and phillips. 🙏🏼

Last edited by simon tonna on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Given I always seem to kill careers when I nominate players

Mason Cox could change the game and our club

Rupert Wills a starting 4 mid by round 1 he wants the ball and wants to be involved and wants to make it happen. Would like him to get number 36 on his back!

Tom Phillips can run and can kick

If these three are permanents when we have a full list

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:34 pm

simon tonna wrote:
How many times does aish need to prove you wrong? he came from a organisation that held him up from injuries that flowed into his first preseason at the pies which halted his game day confidence early in the season. he then found that confidence in the twos(whether that's coaching performance from tapping or not, who's to say) then came back and grew in each game there on. he's positioning around the ground in congestion and as a link player shows that he as a looong career in front of him in footy. we won't mention his marking, decision making and his kicking abilities as that is plain for all to see.
so with a full preseason and a settled lineup the other two to take a few by surprise will be wills and phillips. 🙏🏼

You could be right simon.......and I hope you are. Wink
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Tough call given 1/2 our squad still qualify under the "developing prospect" tag. If I had to choose it'd be:

Maynard - will firmly establish himself in the 22 and become an absolute beast.

Broomhead - kid needs a break on the injury front and we desperately need some quality run and finish developing.

Aish - will be well entrenched in the best 22 and show what all the hype was about following another preseason and 2016 settling at the club.

Would also like to see Sier (pic below next to Maynard) pushing for senior selection by midseason. Kid has obviously done the hard yards preseason to date and I think he along with Wills give us a couple of midfield weapons longer term. Both these guys are coming from a fair way back so happy to be patient.

Tempered my expectations for Ramsay and Scharenberg given they're both coming off ACL's.

See players like Moore and DeGoey as already established best 22. Not suggesting they don't have further improvement in them, just that they've already passed this point.

preseason.jpg

Last edited by jackcass on Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:47 pm

I would LOVE to see Brayden Sier emerge as a terrific young player next season. Very Happy Laughing
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:55 pm

I actually agree with all posters so far but for mine it needs to be our pillars

Darcy Moore needs to take that next step up and be our go to man. He has all the attributes to be anything we need him showing it every week

Brodie Grundy had a sensational second half of last season. Everyone knows big men take a bit more time to develop but if he can bring that same level every week in 2017 we are a far better side.

Ben Reid yes I know not a rookie by any means but last season was the most games he has played in a season since 2012. He was basically a new player again for us. His skill in the back line will go a long way to deciding our fate in 2017. If he can develop into our backline general and still be the intercepting mark and skilled kick then we are a much better side

Aish DeGoey Ramsay Scharenberg Wills Phillips Langdon Crocker etc all need to improve by 10% or more for us to be realistic top 8 side.
I'm still bullish but not overly if that makes sense. I saw enough in the second half of 2016 to excite me but know we are still a fair way off being a top 8 side but I have high hopes
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:22 pm

jackcass wrote:
Tough call given 1/2 our squad still qualify under the "developing prospect" tag. If I had to choose it'd be:

Broomhead - kid needs a break on the injury front and we desperately need some quality run and finish developing.

Aish - will be well entrenched in the best 22 and show what all the hype was about following another preseason and 2016 settling at the club.

Would also like to see Sier pushing for senior selection by midseason. Kid has obviously done the hard yards preseason to date and I think he along with Wills give us a couple of midfield weapons longer term. Both these guys are coming from a fair way back so happy to be patient.

Tempered my expectations for Ramsay and Scharenberg given they're both coming off ACL's.

See players like Moore and DeGoey as already established best 22. Not suggesting they don't have further improvement in them, just that they've already passed this point.

Good calls JC. For mine, Maynard is already established in our best 22. He's a beauty and a beast! Thanks for reminding me about Broomhead - seems he's been on our list for a while but we've hardly seen him play. I reckon this year will be a make or break season for him. We are crying out for a quality crumbing forward, and he could well fit the bill.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:28 pm

Maynard is still a puppy but will be on the verge of elite soon.
Aish is all class.
DeGoey will be a star
If Darcy can stay fit should develop in leaps and bounds.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:51 pm

I want to see Johnny Wise and Gerald Betts take the next step next year! Shit! It's 2016 not 1976, let me get back to you!
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Hopefull of :

Cox
Sharenburg
DeGoey

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:12 pm

jackcass wrote:

Would also like to see Sier (pic below next to Maynard) pushing for senior selection by midseason. Kid has obviously done the hard yards preseason to date and I think he along with Wills give us a couple of midfield weapons longer term. Both these guys are coming from a fair way back so happy to be patient.

I might have used a different turn of phrase when referring to Broomhead but the kid deserves some luck.

I don't want too high expectations placed on Sier despite picking him as our first clear selection last year. He had injuries last year & was picked as a project player.

Maynard has surpassed my expectations of him so far & may he continue. Tough as nails & better he is better one on one that I thought.

Ramsay has been very very good in the last two seasons before injury & I hope the kid makes it: fast, fearless, breaks lines & is a great prospect.

Aish played much better in the second half of the season & I am looking forward to seeing him next year: I still think we paid overs too get him that is 2 second round draft picks. Having said that I hope he proves me wrong.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:17 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Hopefull of :

Cox
Sharenburg
DeGoey

Despite being 211 cm, I forgot about Cox!

Just watched the Anzac Day game over a few nights - he played a ripper that game & did very well against Geelong too. Hope he continues with his improvement (& learns to Ruck)

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:56 pm

If Ramsay gets a clear run, watch for him to break out. I recall reading somewhere that he has polled in the copeland in (nearly?) all of the games he has thus far played...
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
jackcass wrote:

I might have used a different turn of phrase when referring to Broomhead but the kid deserves some luck.

I don't want too high expectations placed on Sier despite picking him as our first clear selection last year. He had injuries last year & was picked as a project player.

Maynard has surpassed my expectations of him so far & may he continue. Tough as nails & better he is better one on one that I thought.

Ramsay has been very very good in the last two seasons before injury & I hope the kid makes it: fast, fearless, breaks lines & is a great prospect.

Aish played much better in the second half of the season & I am looking forward to seeing him next year: I still think we paid overs too get him that is 2 second round draft picks. Having said that I hope he proves me wrong.

No pun intended 😉
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: