Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Alfred

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:56 am
Post subject: The AlfredReply with quote

had to head in to the alfred in the small hours of the morning dur to breathing difficulties. as it turned out i was not the only one seeking treatment for this problem. see: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hospitals-at-breaking-point-two-feared-dead-after-thunderstorm-asthma-triggers-disaster-response-20161121-gsuh6f.html

when inside ed i got to watch all the staff scurrying around going about their business. the epidemic of "thunderstorm asthma" was stretching resources while staff were also attending to numerous other patients with other ailments.

the staff were incredible in the way they retained their professionalism, calm dispositions and beside manners treating all and sundry. it's pleasing to know we are in safe hands out there in hospital land.

the alfred has been my local hospital for many years and, fortunately, i have not had to visit too often. i commend the likes of morrigu, wpt and to a lesserr exxtent stui for the work they do in the health sector.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:31 am
Post subject: Re: The AlfredReply with quote

John Wren wrote:
had to head in to the alfred in the small hours of the morning dur to breathing difficulties. as it turned out i was not the only one seeking treatment for this problem. see: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hospitals-at-breaking-point-two-feared-dead-after-thunderstorm-asthma-triggers-disaster-response-20161121-gsuh6f.html

when inside ed i got to watch all the staff scurrying around going about their business. the epidemic of "thunderstorm asthma" was stretching resources while staff were also attending to numerous other patients with other ailments.

the staff were incredible in the way they retained their professionalism, calm dispositions and beside manners treating all and sundry. it's pleasing to know we are in safe hands out there in hospital land.

the alfred has been my local hospital for many years and, fortunately, i have not had to visit too often. i commend the likes of morrigu, wpt and to a lesserr exxtent stui for the work they do in the health sector.

Hope you're OK mate.

My youngest's boyfriend was at St Vincent's from 10.30pm last night to 3.30am. Said it was quite scary but the ED & the hospital was incredibly well organised. He's taken today off work & she went to work a bit late today.

Last edited by watt price tully on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

all good now thanks. my wait was only an hour or so. in by 2am and gone just after 4am. lots in the queue but not nearly as bad as some places. in a way, it was reassuring to know it affected others and wasn't just isolated to a personal problem.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:42 pm

John Wren wrote:
all good now thanks. my wait was only an hour or so. in by 2am and gone just after 4am. lots in the queue but not nearly as bad as some places. in a way, it was reassuring to know it affected others and wasn't just isolated to a personal problem.

one of the kids at netball took her mum to willi hospital for that last night, and apparently st vincents ran out of ventolin inhalers, not good. glad you are ok,

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:23 pm

As a severe and chronic asthmatic since early childhood, I am surprised and disappointed to have missed out on this mass-hospitalisation event. Then again, I never was much of a joiner.

Glad you're OK, JW.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:45 pm

^ like many of the males there at ed i thought it would pass. i left it nearly 8 hours before deciding to take a trip to the hospital. am not one to tie up public resources unnecessarily given there are usually people in greater need.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:24 pm

A few off work today. My Mrs companies superclinics were inundated. All staff and doctors called in. In house chemists ran out of supplies. It mainly hit the western suburbs and they lost one patient. It was chaotic. One of the guys at work rushed his wife to Werribee Mercy and sat there for 3 hours. One nurse was catering for a few hundred people. I have never heard of this phenomenon but I know it now. Good to hear you got through JW. Apparently there will be an inquiry into what happened. I don't know what this is supposed to conclude other than a massive emergency situation we are basically screwed.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Glad you are OK, JW dude.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Culprit wrote:
A few off work today. My Mrs companies superclinics were inundated. All staff and doctors called in. In house chemists ran out of supplies. It mainly hit the western suburbs and they lost one patient. It was chaotic. One of the guys at work rushed his wife to Werribee Mercy and sat there for 3 hours. One nurse was catering for a few hundred people. I have never heard of this phenomenon but I know it now. Good to hear you got through JW. Apparently there will be an inquiry into what happened. I don't know what this is supposed to conclude other than a massive emergency situation we are basically screwed.

i am surprised at the people who are attacking the system. for all intents and purposes it was an unforeseen event that we now have even more data on than before. it was quite the mechanical operation that ran smoothly in my situation.

in a case of a larger epidemic or catastrophic event i doubt our system would cope anyway even with all the good will and planning in the world.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Easy target to attack the public health system. The little Jack Russell opposition leader will no doubt come out and say It's Daniel Andrews and the Labor parties fault.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:31 pm

Very glad you are ok JW!

In all my years I have never experienced anything like that!Shocked

At one point I think we had around 230 patients in the 2 main EDs!

We all participate in Emergo training exercises to test our responses etc in the event of a Code Brown but I don't recall ever having as many "patients" as what arrived in a short time last night!

It seems that 2 people may have lost their lives which is very sad but I think everyone (ambos, cops, firies, docs, nurses and even management) did their absolute best in an unprecedented situation.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:00 pm

Good to hear you're well JW.

I was really surprised this morning when I first heard about it and thought people must be exaggerating. Then I saw a facebook post from a bloke I know about 30 minute queues at the pharmacy to buy ventolin.

I had a meeting with a bloke this morning and I asked him about it, our ED's copped a hammering too, but not as bad as the west. I heard of Ambos coming in off duty and going to peoples houses in station wagons cos all the ambulances were on the road and one of the big private hospitals opened it's ED to the public patients to help with demand.

All together, despite apparently 2 people unfortunately dieing, it seems like for a totally unforeseen situation that caused instant stress to the whole system, the system coped very well.

Like Morrigu said, all health services practice for Emergo situations but this was a very rare situation where it hit everywhere simultaneously with zero notice.

partypie 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:17 pm

i had severe hay fever in Melbourne in the 70s when I did HSC exams. There was hardly any room on the desk as it was covered with eye drops, tissues, god knows what. I recall there being a mighty downpour on Melbourne Cup Day that flooded part of our house. Thankfully it was pretty much a one off. Congrats to all the health personnel who managed the situation. It makes you realise that despite its flaws we are very lucky to have our health system.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:35 pm

think positive wrote:
John Wren wrote:

one of the kids at netball took her mum to willi hospital for that last night, and apparently st vincents ran out of ventolin inhalers, not good. glad you are ok,

Talking to Nicole again tonight, the young girl that died, Hope, went To school with Nicole's boyfriend, another was in dancing classes with her. Apparently she had a major health scare at the start of this year, and now She's gone. Just terrible.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 am

just read about hope and the other young chap who passed away. terribly sad situation but, without fully understanding the challenges and circumstances faced by the ambulance services, it is difficult to condemn them so early in the piece or even at all.

no doubt the opposition will be baying for blood and the families of the deceased will be anguishing no end and wanting answers. lessons need to be learned but there needs to be a measured enquiry into the handling of things.

here's the numbers affected:

By the numbers

Two people died, including 20-year-old Hope Carnevali

At least 30 people in intensive care

1900 calls to Ambulance Victoria in five hours

Royal Children's Hospital: 500 children taken to emergency, normally 300 in a day

Royal Melbourne Hospital's Emergency Department: a record number of 335 patients in 24 hours, more than 215 people with thunderstorm asthma.

Northern Hospital: 383 patients, normally 170.

Western Health: at 1am Tuesday morning, 230 patients across the two emergency departments of Footscray and Sunshine Hospital.

St Vincent's: 216 in 24 hours to 2am. Normal day is 120.

Monash: 512 emergency patients overnight across its three emergency departments, compared with an average of 250.

Austin Health: 197 patients overnight, compared to an average of about 50. About 75 per cent had respiratory problems.

The Alfred Emergency Department: 110 more patients than an average Tuesday night

Sandringham Hospital Emergency Department: 90 more patients over an average Tuesday night

Frankston Hospital: 260 patients in 24 hours, normally 200.

University Hospital Geelong: 108 people arrived at the Emergency Department between 6pm and midnight., normally 200 people in a day.

Eastern Health: On Monday, 147 people arrived at Angliss Hospital's emergency department, 211 people arrived at Maroondah Hospital's emergency department.

Box Hill: On Monday, 230 patients presented to Box Hill Hospital's emergency department.

what i find is striking are the numbers seeking medical attention on any given night. i guess it's a numbers game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: