Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Great Consolidated 2016/17 Pre-season Thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to ask one question - was Bucks there..??
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:19 am

He's at Falls if that s what you're asking
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:38 pm

any chance of a weekly precis of events? couldn't be any less interested in the off season if i tried. someone please wake me up when the preseason games commence.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:04 pm

John Wren wrote:
any chance of a weekly precis of events? couldn't be any less interested in the off season if i tried. someone please wake me up when the preseason games commence.

So that was you "awake" in-season 2016?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:15 pm
Post subject: Training 23rd November 2016Reply with quote

Bit of everything today from 9:30AM to about 11:30 and only a small crowd to watch. Drills included pairs in running contests with changes of pace (organised by Davoren), midfield contests with players lying down on the ground and having to get up and chase the ball while being tackled from the side and front, one on one contests between forwards versus backs, rucking drills organised by Rocca, goal kicking practice and match play simulation with the object of kicking or hand balling the ball through nets at either end of the ground.
Players training away from the main group included Langdon, Reid and at times Crocker. Jamie Elliot made a brief appearance. Players i was unable to sight included Grundy and Goldsack.
Players to impress:
Scharenberg - looks to have beefed up in weight. Had a very solid workout. Moves very well without any discomfort. I cringe every time I see him twist and turn or get tackled, but today he breezed through all the drills.
Smith - Looks to have trimmed down a little in weight and moved effortlessly through all the drills. Still doesn't look like a footballer up close (from a build point of view) but from a distance does everything an AFL footballer should do. Can't see him being replaced in the side.
Treloar - Beautiful footballer to watch when he is near the football, or using the football. Has a presence around the football which all the great footballers have. Away from the football in the running drills just looks like an ordinary footballer.
WHE - Skinny footballer of good height with long arms and evasive skills and is lightening quick when he has the ball. More than justifies a future second round draft pick for him.
Mayne - In every drill and does everything you would expect from a seasoned footballer without standing out in any particular facet of the game. Easy to pick with his long hair and seems to have a lot of respect from the players around him.
Wells - So much like Varcoe the way he glides around the ground. Clean in anything he does, he's almost invisible to watch.
Dunn - A brute of a footballer, you wonder what forced him out of the Melbourne side. Are the two McDonald brothers that good, or is Dunn a victim of a youth policy at Melbourne?
Crisp - He's a workhorse with a huge left foot kick. Every AFL team needs one of them. Just don't expect lightening pace or supreme skills from him.
Ramsay and Sinclair - both were out there participating in most of the drills which makes me think they will ready at the start of the 2017 season.
Keeffe or Howe? - I was confused who it was I was watching out on the ground. If it was Howe out there he is wearing a beard and has grown a couple of inches. If it is Keeffe, the club made the right decision in adding him to the senior list. Whoever it is, he is the perfect build and athleticism for the prototype AFL footballer. Has lightening speed to go with the perfect build.

Players to disappoint:
Cox, Aish and Moore - not for what they were doing on the ground. Only because they don't appear to have put on any weight in the off season. Both Moore and Cox need to add about 5 kilos to their frame. Aish needs at least another couple of kilos to his frame.
Two footballers I won't name who were the subject of speculation during the trade period. I can't see either getting a game in 2017 because neither has any change of pace. At the end of the day you need change of pace to get you out of trouble on the football ground, or you get run down by good opposition.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:27 pm

ty
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:10 pm
Post subject: Re: Training 23rd November 2016Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Bit of everything today from 9:30AM to about 11:30 and only a small crowd to watch. Drills included pairs in running contests with changes of pace (organised by Davoren), midfield contests with players lying down on the ground and having to get up and chase the ball while being tackled from the side and front, one on one contests between forwards versus backs, rucking drills organised by Rocca, goal kicking practice and match play simulation with the object of kicking or hand balling the ball through nets at either end of the ground.
Players training away from the main group included Langdon, Reid and at times Crocker. Jamie Elliot made a brief appearance. Players i was unable to sight included Grundy and Goldsack.
Players to impress:
Scharenberg - looks to have beefed up in weight. Had a very solid workout. Moves very well without any discomfort. I cringe every time I see him twist and turn or get tackled, but today he breezed through all the drills.
Smith - Looks to have trimmed down a little in weight and moved effortlessly through all the drills. Still doesn't look like a footballer up close (from a build point of view) but from a distance does everything an AFL footballer should do. Can't see him being replaced in the side.
Treloar - Beautiful footballer to watch when he is near the football, or using the football. Has a presence around the football which all the great footballers have. Away from the football in the running drills just looks like an ordinary footballer.
WHE - Skinny footballer of good height with long arms and evasive skills and is lightening quick when he has the ball. More than justifies a future second round draft pick for him.
Mayne - In every drill and does everything you would expect from a seasoned footballer without standing out in any particular facet of the game. Easy to pick with his long hair and seems to have a lot of respect from the players around him.
Wells - So much like Varcoe the way he glides around the ground. Clean in anything he does, he's almost invisible to watch.
Dunn - A brute of a footballer, you wonder what forced him out of the Melbourne side. Are the two McDonald brothers that good, or is Dunn a victim of a youth policy at Melbourne?
Crisp - He's a workhorse with a huge left foot kick. Every AFL team needs one of them. Just don't expect lightening pace or supreme skills from him.
Ramsay and Sinclair - both were out there participating in most of the drills which makes me think they will ready at the start of the 2017 season.
Keeffe or Howe? - I was confused who it was I was watching out on the ground. If it was Howe out there he is wearing a beard and has grown a couple of inches. If it is Keeffe, the club made the right decision in adding him to the senior list. Whoever it is, he is the perfect build and athleticism for the prototype AFL footballer. Has lightening speed to go with the perfect build.

Players to disappoint:
Cox, Aish and Moore - not for what they were doing on the ground. Only because they don't appear to have put on any weight in the off season. Both Moore and Cox need to add about 5 kilos to their frame. Aish needs at least another couple of kilos to his frame.
Two footballers I won't name who were the subject of speculation during the trade period. I can't see either getting a game in 2017 because neither has any change of pace. At the end of the day you need change of pace to get you out of trouble on the football ground, or you get run down by good opposition.

TY - great report - believe Keefe and Thomas cannot resume with the Club till the 10th Dec.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Read in 1 of the preseason reports that there was a very deliberate aim to add wait to Moore gradually, 2-3kgs a season, so hardly surprising he hasn't significantly bulked up.

Cox you'd like to see building strength through the legs and improving core strength, bulk not such an issue.

Aish may be the type who struggles to add bulk or someone who has had a focus on building the tank rather than adding bulk over the off-season.

Last edited by jackcass on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Could not be our suspended boys because they cannot start until December as I understand. So, who was the bearded, lightning fast, ideal prototype running around. Please, I cannot stand the suspense.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:38 pm

^^^ Would be Howe going by powers of deduction.

Two things that I would love to see is Mayne as our CHF, working his butt off in the forward line and doing all the smart stuff with the occasional high mark. Our forward line could all work around him.

Secondly I would love to see Broomhead get alot of gametime because this guy is all class.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:15 pm
Post subject: Re: Training 23rd November 2016Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Players to disappoint:

Does not mean they got Stronger Though. Moore and Aish seem the type that won't have Big Bodies.

I agree a Few More be good for Aish but Remember it only the start of Pre-Season

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:16 pm

jackcass wrote:
Read in 1 of the preseason reports that there was a very deliberate aim to add wait to mMoore gradually, 2-3kgs a season, so hardly surprising he hasn't significantly bulked up.

Cox you'd like to see building strength through the legs and improving core strength, bulk not such an issue.

Aish may be the type who struggles to add bulk or someone who has had a focus on building the tank rather than adding bulk over the off-season.

Very True. We don't know what they been working on

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:17 pm

Regarding Moore, I read an excellent article in the Herald Sun about him and it mentioned the club is carefully managing his weight gain at about 2kg per season so as not to adversely impact his speed and athleticism.

Here's the article for those who can evade the paywall. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwood-forward-darcy-moore-is-nowhere-near-content-with-his-progress-at-afl-level/news-story/569f25b6d570742f988e84a946f7d82f

Too much weight gain too quick for a young agile tall bloke, not good. Puts stress on the joints apart from the other impacts. Let him grow naturally.

Cox doesn't need to be bulked up for similar reasons. He's 25 and doesn't have the frame for it, putting on big amounts of weight would cripple his leap and mobility. Build his core strength instead.

Otherwise, great observations, cheers.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks for your trouble in posting the report - appreciated.

Really pleased for Schranberg in particular.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:40 pm

thanks for the report.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: