Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What can't or won't you eat?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:21 pm
Post subject: What can't or won't you eat?Reply with quote

Semi inspired by some of the comments in the whats for dinner thread, I thought it would be interesting to find out what people just won't eat.

Whether because you don't like the taste, have bad memories of a time, allergies or beliefs, whatever the reason.

I grew up hating fish, now I can eat some fish like flake, Barra, Prawns even calamari but I just can't handle smoked cod, smoked salmon or oysters. (fkn horrible little pus balls) I quite like the small tins of Tuna but still have occasional nightmares about mums tuna casserole from the 70's and no chance I'm trying raw fish.

Cantaloupe. Just the smell makes me feel sick. I had some at my grandparents house one day with ice cream when I was little and vomited for the next hour. Don't know what caused it but I ain't eating that shit again.

Tripe or Brains. Eaten them both, yuck. particularly the brains.

I can pretty much eat any vegetable I've tried, raw tomato I only like in small doses not big pieces and Kale is some marketers revenge. Horrible shit.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to eat lamb or veal because I don't like eating baby animals. I'll eat them if someone serves them up, and lamb is really tasty but I wont go out of my way to order/cook it.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Meat and just recently managed to cut out chicken and now I am trying to wean off seafood which is really tough because I love it!

And bananas I hate hate hate bananas - the smell makes me dry reach - even those lolly bananas yuckitty yuk yuk yuk!

I don't mind sprouts and I love grapes - especially the red ones that come in a bottle Razz

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:25 pm

There's nothing I won't try.
Bit like beer, it's all good!

Couldn't live without; oysters, meat, fish, prawns, anchovies, blue vein cheese..... *^%*%^, my mouths watering!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Butter
Peanut butter
Sour cream
Macaroni cheese
Potato cakes at Flinders Street Station (had to learn that one the hard way)

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:55 pm

What happened to it?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:03 pm

Tripe, liver, Brussel sprouts because I had too as a kid, and hated them.

I love love love bacon but gave up all pig bits after watching a video of one killed. I like pigs more than bacon I guess. Can't stand the smell or taste of lamb, and also the baby factor. I don't eat much meat at all now, but every now and then I cave for a nice steak. Does the blood good too! And thanks to poddy calves I don't eat/drink much dairy either!

Please don't anyone show me a chicken dying in agony! I'll starve. I love anything that comes out of the sea! I eat heaps of free range eggs.

I don't eat any white simple carbs, bread, rice, and no white potatoes. Pure sugar! I break that rule occasionally when I cook roast potatoes, one thing I cook exceptionally well (thanks mum!). And I can't go past the occasional port Arlington potato cake!

When I'm overseas, I try everything! I'm pretty game, and I have a cast iron stomach!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:22 am

Can't eat prawns or shrimps - something in them attacks the stomach membrane with spectacular results for ca 5 hours. I've only wished for death twice, and that was the cause both times. Oddly, lobster, crayfish, all ok - if it has nippers, it's fair game.

Won't eat anything cage- or battery-reared.

Don't like to eat most offal (though pate is fine), very ripe bananas, and the skin of a raw apple (though peeled is fine). I also hate the pith of tomatoes. I always cut the core out of a tomato before I slice it, and I never order tomato in prepared food, in case I get a top-end.

I've also eaten just about everything in China, from duck's tongues (the little tongue-root is the creepy thing), to various roes, snake, sea-slug and raw abalone. Politeness is a hard master.

Of the posts above, David's seems the most weird to me. His list of hates reads like the things I'd eat in vast quantities if they were not so generally unhealthy.... and LOL Morrigu, at the "bottled red grapes". They're quite tasty. As are bottled barley, hops and malt.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:49 am

^ Those aversions are all mostly relics of childhood that have stuck around. Except for potato cakes, which I love! There's just nothing worse than a stale one. Crying or Very sad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:05 am

Your right about the potato cakes, I've made the mistake of getting the ones sitting in the Heater thing, ugh, they have to be fresh out the oil. I don't indulge in the, very often, but when I do they have to be in their pure state!

Glad someone mentioned ripe bananas, I can't even stomach the smell! As soon as the skins start to get spots, I peel them and freeze them for smoothies. Not a lot worse than a banana peel left in a hot car for a day or two, ugh!

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:49 am

I have no idea how I have survived on what I eat!

I don't eat any fruit, salads, cheese, pasta, rice and the only vegies I eat are potatoes, peas, beans and occasionally cauliflower!

Good luck finding anyone worse than me!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Lychee, burbon (how anyone could call this putrid liquid vomit "whiskey" I don't know), tripe, lamb's fry. That's about it. Oh, and I'll go a long way to avoid salt cod.

Seafood in general I tend to avoid, but not obsessively so. I quite like most seafood so long as it is in small doses alongside other food, I just struggle with large servings of it. A few prawns in a dish of salad: yum. A whole plate of them: no thanks, I'd throw up.

I generally avoid over-processed food (white bread, factory anything) when cooking for myself but I'll cheerfully eat pretty much anything that's put in front of me.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:29 pm

Any seafood, even those miniature prawn things you get in fried rice.
Not allergic, haven't tried most of it so it's not that I don't like it, but I actually can't eat it.

Tried to have a piece of barramundi once & couldn't get it in my mouth. Another time a friend gave me some thing he'd cooked, said no seafood in it so I ate it. Then he said 'there was seafood in it, see, you can eat it' and I immediately threw up. It's bizarre & I can't explain it but I just can't eat it.

Don't eat pork but love bacon & crackling, just the white meat is gross.
Don't like duck (which is always the seafood substitute at this MCC luncheon I go to, urghhh).

I have pretty simple tastes - meat & 3 veg, bangers & mash, keep it simple & I'm happy Smile
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:32 pm

Until then. . .
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Mugwump wrote:

I've also eaten just about everything in China, from duck's tongues (the little tongue-root is the creepy thing), to various roes, snake, sea-slug and raw abalone. Politeness is a hard master.

The wierdest thing I've ever eaten is fruit bat. Years ago when I was holidaying in Vanuatu. Very gamey but it was cooked in a nice red wine sauce.
Politeness didn't make me do it. I was just young and stupid.

And I've sucked on chicken feet too. But I won't do that again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: