Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

More states legalize Pot 8) when for Oz?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will it be legal here?
Within 2 years
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
2-5 years
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
6-10 years
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
11-20 years
26%
 26%  [ 4 ]
It'll never happen
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 15

K 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Older Americans Are Flocking to Medical Marijuana

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/health/seniors-marijuana-cannabis-pain.html

"In fact, so many Laguna Woods seniors use medical cannabis — for ailments ranging from arthritis and diabetes nerve pain to back injuries and insomnia — that the local dispensary, Bud and Bloom, charters a free bus to bring residents to its Santa Ana location to stock up on supplies. Along with a catered lunch, the bus riders get a seniors discount.

But the researchers are uneasy about the fact that older people essentially are undertaking self-treatment, with scant guidance from medical professionals.

Cannabis consumers face a confusing array of options, including various strains and brands and many methods of ingestion: smoking, vaping, tinctures, edibles, topical creams or patches. Users can also experience potentially harmful side effects.

The strongest case, Dr. Casarett said, is that cannabis can reduce neuropathic pain, sometimes caused by diabetes, shingles or chemotherapy, without the toxic effects of opioids.

Studies have also shown that cannabis alleviates the nausea and vomiting that often follows chemotherapy. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has approved two synthetic T.H.C. drugs for that purpose, though some patients insist that smoking the real thing works better.

Cannabis appears to relieve muscle spasms in people with multiple sclerosis, though that research is less extensive, and to improve appetite for patients with cancer or AIDS, Dr. Briscoe said.

Moreover, “the jury is very much out about long-term cognitive effects in adults,” Dr. Casarett said.

Medicare, for instance, doesn’t cover medical cannabis, and it won’t cover drugs used off-label. The bus riders from Laguna Woods often pay $100 to $200 a month out of pocket for cannabis products, a financial struggle for some."
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:43 am

I've cut my use back big time. Mainly due to having to do a medical for my new job, and they are more rigorous with the testing at the site I'm on now.

I can have a few cones on my first 2 days of r 'n r then no more.

As well as my BP going up enough to have to increase the dosage of one, I have noticed more niggling pains in; my knees, my shoulders and my back. Never had any issues with my knees, even when running 200k's a month.

Coincidence?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:46 pm

maybe, maybe not. You are getting older you know. Wink
K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:52 am

K wrote:
A mobile phone is not really what we think of as a drug... but in the US "the Federal Communications Commission and the Food and Drug Administration ... regulate cellphones and gauge any risks to human health".
On with the story then:

Study of Cellphone Risks Finds ‘Some Evidence’ of Link to Cancer, at Least in Male Rats

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/health/cellphone-radiation-cancer.html

<snip>

But...

Powerful devices in the 5G era: Do mobile phones cause cancer?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/powerful-devices-in-the-5g-era-do-mobile-phones-cause-cancer-20181214-p50mcr.html

No, the reported Oz study claims.

The paper is here:

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/bmjopen/8/12/e024489.full.pdf

From the article in The Age:

' "There were no increases in any brain tumour types, including glioma and glioblastoma during the period of substantial mobile phone use from 2003 to 2013," they wrote.

"There was no increase in gliomas of the temporal lobe, which is the most exposed location, during the period of substantial mobile phone use."

Emeritus Professor Simon Chapman, the lead author of the 2016 study, said critics were most likely going to argue that it was too early to see a rise in cancers.

"The problem is, if you drill down into their papers, they're the ones saying the effects of exposure can happen in one to four years," he said.

"It's true there's a latency period, like exposure to cigarettes before we see peak incidence, but we're not seeing any gradual rise."

"We've made these suggestions to put minds at ease, but personally I don't follow these," Dr Karipidis said. "As a scientist the evidence is not good enough, I don't feel the need to use the speaker or hands-free." '

[The phrase "as a scientist" makes me cringe.]
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 am

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/fiona-patten-moves-to-legalise-cannabis-predicts-revenue-of-205m-20181219-p50n4t.html

Fiona Patten moves to legalise cannabis, predicts revenue of $205m
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Culprit wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/fiona-patten-moves-to-legalise-cannabis-predicts-revenue-of-205m-20181219-p50n4t.html

Finally, we are seeing a common sense approach to cannabis.
It's been over 2 years since the poll started... maybe the 2-5 year option will be the winner?

K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I wish the interface allowed multiple poll questions, e.g. not just predicting when something will happen, but whether voters want it to happen, etc.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 pm

I hope that your dreams come true.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Addicted to Vaped Nicotine, Teenagers Have No Clear Path to Quitting

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/health/vaping-nicotine-teenagers.html

"On Monday Monitoring the Future, an annual survey of American teenagers’ drug use sponsored by the federal government’s National Institute on Drug Abuse and conducted by the University of Michigan, reported that teen use of e-cigarettes soared in 2018.

Unfortunately, methods for quitting cigarettes can’t be grafted onto vapes. While cutting down on daily cigarettes can include simple math — cutting back, say, from the 20 cigarettes in a pack to 18 to 14 and so on — an analogous method doesn’t readily apply to vaping.

That’s because the amount of nicotine each person inhales and then absorbs through e-cigarettes is difficult to measure. A formula for reducing cigarettes doesn’t readily translate to pods or cartridges."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Skids wrote:
Culprit wrote:

Finally, we are seeing a common sense approach to cannabis.
It's been over 2 years since the poll started... maybe the 2-5 year option will be the winner?

I guess it’s complicated by the fact that any legalisation will likely happen state by state, and getting a law like that passed in Victoria is a very different matter to getting it passed in Queensland. But I do think it’s likely that, once one state passes it, the others will follow, even if it takes another decade or more.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:18 pm

K wrote:
Addicted to Vaped Nicotine, Teenagers Have No Clear Path to Quitting

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/health/vaping-nicotine-teenagers.html

"On Monday Monitoring the Future, an annual survey of American teenagers’ drug use sponsored by the federal government’s National Institute on Drug Abuse and conducted by the University of Michigan, reported that teen use of e-cigarettes soared in 2018.

Unfortunately, methods for quitting cigarettes can’t be grafted onto vapes. While cutting down on daily cigarettes can include simple math — cutting back, say, from the 20 cigarettes in a pack to 18 to 14 and so on — an analogous method doesn’t readily apply to vaping.

That’s because the amount of nicotine each person inhales and then absorbs through e-cigarettes is difficult to measure. A formula for reducing cigarettes doesn’t readily translate to pods or cartridges."

e-liquids come in different strengths of nicotine. You can also buy liquid that has no nicotine and dilute your own to reduce nicotine.

When I told my GP I was trying vaping, she was very happy as it's not the nicotine itself that causes all the problems with cigarettes, it's the smoking and all the chemical additives

K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 pm

A Visual Journey Through Addiction

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/us/addiction-heroin-opioids.html
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:32 pm

Sad read
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:44 pm

I can't read it, they want money.

I like your contributions in this thread K, but heroin and cannabis are about as similar as Nuclear warheads and water pistols.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Yes, agree they're very different. As are recreational drugs and prescription medication (with the latter not necessarily safer than the former). And so on...

Is "vaped" pot something that can be done nowadays?

Update: I found a new (5 Dec '18 ) article on the latter topic at https://www.futurity.org/vaping-cannabis-anxiety-1925032-2/ . I'll return to it and possibly post on it later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 22 of 33   

Jump to: