Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brayden Sier

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Played the first half of a VFL practice match today.

I think match fitness is an issue. So hopefully, we'll see a bit more of what he can do when he starts to play full matches.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:20 pm

The kid was a gamble from the very start. If he makes the grade it'll be a bonus.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 pm

He was drafted at 17 years of age, so he was always seen as a long-term project rather than someone who would have an immediate impact.

Jury is still out for me, but we'll see what happens.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:03 am

Damien wrote:
The kid was a gamble from the very start. If he makes the grade it'll be a bonus.

Is it worth to take that Bigger a Gamble with our 1st Pick even in the 2nd Round

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Damien wrote:

Is it worth to take that Bigger a Gamble with our 1st Pick even in the 2nd Round

In a draft where the options at that pick are not strong, yes.

It's a choice between a player you know will be decent but almost certainly not better (we got those with later picks, eg. a Smith) or someone who maybe has slightly less chance of being decent right away but has more upside in the future and could potentially be a good AFL player, not just a decent one.

Not really different to any other pick I guess: look at which player you think will be the best in 5+ years time, not tomorrow. With later picks though you can take a little bit more risk.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:50 am

All he is right now is a beautifully built footballer, who has had a dreadful run of injury till up to this point. The players can have all the drills and simulated match play at training, but until they compete against opposition sides in actual games (AFL and VFL) you can't predict how they are going to turn out.
Look how Gault went last year - extremely athletic and demanding of the football in the practice games preseason and then does nothing in the main season and then retires at the end of the year.

Hine has a history of picking dark horses in the draft, such as Marsh, Wills, Gault and others. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. In keeping with past history Hine has done it again the last draft with Kirby and McCarthy. Recruiting is a science and most of us including myself just doesn't get it. I look at a player like Ash Close and can't work out why he isn't on an AFL list. Ryan Pendlebury is another one (and Jonty Scharenberg from the last draft). So I leave it to the experts who seem to know what they're doing.

I've been watching Sier a bit at training. He's putting himself in the best possible situation to get his body right and prepare himself to play AFL footy. At some point of time when he can string a number of games together, it will either click (at which time Hine will be proclaimed a genius), or it will fall apart like it did for Gault and he will become another one of Hine's picks that didn't work out. It's all part of the process that every list manager has of trying to come up with a combination of 22 players to win a premiership.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: