Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PLEASE Collingwood! See reason just this once!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
With no 42, been done to death. I'd like to see the number back out there but the club won't do it unless Darren's mum agrees and hell will freeze over first.

How can that be when the Club Own's the Jumper and Number?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:33 pm

I personally think numbers should only be retired in very specific circumstances, such as a player dying on the field as a mark of respect to that player. Another could be nothing a number available as it belong to the fans, like the 12th man being allocated to the fans of the Seattle Seahawks
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
With no 42, been done to death. I'd like to see the number back out there but the club won't do it unless Darren's mum agrees and hell will freeze over first.

How can that be when the Club Own's the Jumper and Number?

It's all about respect Dave.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:18 pm

daicos35 wrote:
35 casts a big shadow. Maybe Josh wants to wear it, maybe his brother Nicholas wants to wear it. Maybe Presti's son will one day want to wear it. At the moment we ALL still wear it in recognition of two amazing careers at Collingwood.

I am really looking forward to Josh coming to the 'pies and will happily wear whatever number he takes when he gets to play senior footy. It'll be a great day. Good luck to him.

35 will always mean Daicos. Presti only borrowed it.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:40 pm

Maybe Josh is a little sick of the constant comparisons to his father and will be happy to have a different number
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:40 pm

I think 42 should come back and be worn by our captain.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:41 pm

If 42 is given to the captain or best clubman, it risks just becoming another number. Captains are very often attached to their numbers - as are the kind of guys who win best Club man. I can't imagine Pendles not in #10, can you? Given to the first pick it becomes a living memory of one of the great players, and a demonstration of exactly what a Collingwood player should be. (Onfield of course, there's no point pretending Daz was a choirboy off-field).
I know it can't be proved, but I'd bet the farm Daz would FAR rather be remembered each year, than represent an unused number gathering dust. I'd bet his brother would agree. His mum might like the idea too.

Nearly as importantly, I'd really love to see an initiative of the fans & membership get up. More & more the current administration are far too ready to present us, the folks without whom there would be no Collingwood, with Faits d'accompli which we can either like or lump. Much of this has to do with the fact that we have a spineless board unwilling to stand up to his worship, the President, who admitted in 2016 that he makes all the big decisions unilaterally, feeling no compunction to consult anyone about his decisions.
Case in point: The new jumpers were shown yesterday, and are a shock. Massive Emirates & CGU logos taking up much of the chest, and the club emblem, actually the 125th Anniv Emblem in an awkward spot below the huge logo, so that it sits below the pectoral muscle where it would nearly point to the ground. Nowhere near the player's heart. And they want to talk about tradition?
It seems cash is the primary motivation for most decisions at CFC these days. I supported & defended Ed for a dozen years, but the club I loved all my life is morphing into a corporation wherein members & fans are little more than an annoyance who have to be thrown a bone every so often to keep them quiet.

Put 42 on our next young gun each year. It WILL give them inspiration & a spur to work as hard and play as well as Darren did, and will teach the younger members about one of our greats each year.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:50 am

35forever wrote:
Put 42 on our next young gun each year. It WILL give them inspiration & a spur to work as hard and play as well as Darren did, and will teach the younger members about one of our greats each year.

But thats what 35 is doing and people seem to hate the idea.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:14 am

I like the idea of players making their own destiny in a number rather than the constant changing.

F/S's obviously have a stronger claim on their fathers number but that should only occur when and if it becomes available. This year a case in point, assuming they want them.

Understand certain players might request a specific number when it becomes available due to some attachment and I'm fine with that.

I'm not a fan of the 35 to 1st recruit policy, think it denies the number the exposure it so richly deserves.

Think the club also needs to set a timeframe with the Millane family for 42 returning to the field.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:05 am
Post subject: NoReply with quote

regan is true fullback wrote:
I would like to see the number 42 back in service soon, but not for a new draft choice as the pressure would be too great.

Give it instead, if they want it, to the next big fish, such as the enigmatic Daniel Wells or Treloar, or Jolley. These men already have careers in their old clubs, so wearing the famous old number would not worry them.

I have similar misgivings about the number 13, given its dubious history - Cooper, Bourke, Cole etc...

No! No! No. Tradition should not be flushed down the toilet like most other things at our Club and allow these great numbers to be worn by anyone else. How dare you!

duke750 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:33 am

I would like 42 back in service. I fail to see why the family and not the club decides when.

I, too, am not a fan of the current process around 35.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:53 am

duke750 wrote:
I would like 42 back in service. I fail to see why the family and not the club decides when.

I, too, am not a fan of the current process around 35.

All the arguments about 35 have nothing to do with 42. 42 is retired as per the family's wishes until they decide otherwise and that's the way it should be.
duke750 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:58 am

As I said, I fail to understand why the Millane family decides this, rather than the club.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:24 am

duke750 wrote:
As I said, I fail to understand why the Millane family decides this, rather than the club.

It follows a convention at other clubs as well. Two players who come to mind are Peter Crimmins and Ron Barassi's father. The club consults with the family and the family decides if they wish to retire the jumper, or keep it going. With Peter Crimmins it was hoped that one of the sons would inherit the jumper at Hawthorn, but when that wasn't likely to happen the jumper was returned to circulation. The difference between Millane and Crimmins is that the 42 jumper is a much higher jumper than, I think, the 5 jumper at Hawthorn, so wouldn't be in high demand normally by a player. If the club wanted to return the 42 jumper into circulation they would need to consult with the Millane family first.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:49 am

Turned out both kids wanted different numbers.

I really thought Brown was a shoe in for 26.

the 35 jumper will continue to be worn by our first draft pick for now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: