Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PLEASE Collingwood! See reason just this once!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:06 am
Post subject: PLEASE Collingwood! See reason just this once!Reply with quote

I'm really saddened that the Dickhead's in suits can't see the benefits we accrue by having a Daicos wearing #35. No one expects a paid employee to care about the romance and illustrious history of our great club, so it's up to US to tell them!

During the year the one proposal I had which met with almost universal appeal was that of giving the 35 to Josh Daicos, and reviving the great #42 as the reward each year for being our first selection, rather than hanging it up as a 'dead' number, it becomes a living symbol of one of our greatest players. I know people want to see the great number as a living tradition rather than an empty locker, and I know Sean, Darren's brother, would approve. Its also a number which means a lot to Darren's good mate, Josh's dad, and it cannot help but put a sense of club history into the heart of the kid lucky enough to wear it each year!

"Young Josh Daicos wearing the great 35 picks the ball up one handed, sends a spearing pass straight on to the chest of Brown in #26, who handballs to this new kid who has shown so much in the great #42, and who's on the end of a perfect pass but the sensation of 2017, Darcy Moore in the number 30"

Sounds nice to me!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

IF JD wants to wear #35, he'll get it. Same with Brown and #26. And it is possible that both players could actually want different numbers.

Don't worry about what that article on the AFL web site says.

#42 is going to remain retired for some time I think.

But there's a lot of water to go under the bridge here anyway. Let's wait and see who we take at pick 28 and go from there.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:09 am

Or, it probably doesn't matter.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:25 am

I would like to see the number 42 back in service soon, but not for a new draft choice as the pressure would be too great.

Give it instead, if they want it, to the next big fish, such as the enigmatic Daniel Wells or Treloar, or Jolley. These men already have careers in their old clubs, so wearing the famous old number would not worry them.

I have similar misgivings about the number 13, given its dubious history - Cooper, Bourke, Cole etc...
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:01 am

regan is true fullback wrote:
I would like to see the number 42 back in service soon, but not for a new draft choice as the pressure would be too great.

100% agree with that. You'd hate to give an 18 year old that number and then see them struggle under the pressure. It works with 35, but 42 is different.

And sadly, in this day and age, some players just wouldn't give a rats about the number or the player who and wore it.

Give it instead, if they want it, to the next big fish, such as the enigmatic Daniel Wells or Treloar, or Jolley. These men already have careers in their old clubs, so wearing the famous old number would not worry them.

Don't think I agree with this. I'd rather is stay retired. I really dont know about bringing it back. It's a very touchy subject and Id hate to see it ruined in any way.

I guess Hawthorn brought back #5 after it not being used for many years. Sam Mitchell did the number justice, but how many people relate that to or remember Crimmins? And will a new Hawk be given that number now?

I have similar misgivings about the number 13, given its dubious history - Cooper, Bourke, Cole etc...

Daisy did ok in it before he ran away after Mick. Adams will be a candidate to be our next captain, so she'll be right mate!

Anyway, young Brown and Daicos need to be given the chance to path their own career and if they want to wear their old mans numbers, then the club should allow it. But we'll see what happens with 35. I like the idea as Im obviously a fan of Presti, but I also understand the fascination about another Daicos in the number.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 am

Think 42 will remain out of use till after Millane's mother dies
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:56 am

Ffs we have a lot more issues as a club than what numbers players wear.

The last trade & free agency period was absolutely embarrassing. The guys that negotiated on our behalf Dekka, Gubby etc underperformed in a big way.

Lose Cloke for pick 72
Lose Witts for a 40's & a 60's pick
Lose Marley for pick 105
Lose Frost, pick 76 & a 2017 3rd round pick for a 2017 third & 4th round pick.
Lose Brown for nothing in FA

Bring in Mayne & give him a 4 year deal on $500,000 per year that nets Freo a low 20's compensation pick that pushes our first pick back further. He is a role player not a star.

Wells is a good get but at his age 3 years is a risk.

Hoskin Elliott. 2nd round pick. Time will tell but I have my doubts on him.

Dunn was brought in to cover for the backman we just lost due to our fire sale. There will be times he gets exposed badly.

I'm not sure how anyone can think our list has improved from 2016 to 2017 & we didn't end up with any decent draft picks to show for it either. Horrible negotiating from our guys. Paid too much for guys coming in & got nothing for guys going out.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:25 am

woftam wrote:

The last trade & free agency period was absolutely embarrassing. The guys that negotiated on our behalf Dekka, Gubby etc underperformed in a big way.

Lose Cloke for pick 72
Lose Marley for pick 105

Bring in Mayne & give him a 4 year deal on $500,000 per year that nets Freo a low 20's compensation pick that pushes our first pick back further. He is a role player not a star.

Dunn was brought in to cover for the backman we just lost due to our fire sale. There will be times he gets exposed badly.

I'm not sure how anyone can think our list has improved from 2016 to 2017 & we didn't end up with any decent draft picks to show for it either. Horrible negotiating from our guys. Paid too much for guys coming in & got nothing for guys going out.

So do you just keep playing guys who weren't any good in 2016, or do you make changes to the side to reward the guys who played well and back them up with seasoned professionals from other clubs who can compliment the guys we kept? What's the point of keeping Marley, Witts, Frost, Brown and Cloke if they spend most of 2017 playing VFL, when they could be rejigging their AFL careers with other clubs.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:28 am

It's the guys that negotiated on our behalf Dekka Gubby underperformed in a big way or the high way.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:35 am

woftam wrote:

Lose Cloke for pick 72
Lose Marley for pick 105

Speaking of FFS... Why must people continually hijack threads on this board with discussions that are a done ad infanatum on almost every other thread.

When I open this thread I expect to read the OP and then other views relating to the OP. Not a tangent off to something totally unrelated.

Get consistent mods and do your job.

<Mod edit: Kindly cease your backseat moderating and do not lecture us on how to do our jobs - the bbmods team>

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:18 am

Not really that important. Josh isn't Peter.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:50 am

How about you let the kid settle in and get on with playing football without applying even more pressure on him to be as good if not better as his Dad. Let Josh make his own history with a new number. Many young players have failed trying to live in their famous Fathers footsteps and in that group, many have committed suicide because they couldn't be as good as Dad.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:34 am

I am not that concerned about what number Josh wears, I would be happy for him to be just as good as his dad in his own right. I am with Culprit, there's no need to add more pressure on Josh.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
themonk 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:52 am

The Prototype wrote:
I am not that concerned about what number Josh wears, I would be happy for him to be just as good as his dad in his own right. I am with Culprit, there's no need to add more pressure on Josh.

Agreed, it also shows a lack of respect to Presti.

We need to be focused on football & success, not romance.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:20 pm

Since we started this "silly" (in my opinion) first year player wears number 35 thing, this is how many senior games the player with 35 has playedl

2016 - 0
2015 - 16 (De Goey)
2014 - 0
2013 - 7 (Grundy)
2012 - 15 (Elliott)
2011 - 13 (Fasolo)

The two zeros are what worry me, come on now, 35 should be given to a player who is in our best 10-15 players, not a first year kid.

Time to stop this silly idea, and give the number to a player who is likely to play every game for the next few seasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: