Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PLEASE Collingwood! See reason just this once!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after 25 years it might be time to bring back 42 but give it to either Adams or Treloar who will wear it with distinction over the next 10 years or so.

Time to scrap this #35 goes to out first draftee for a year. What purpose does it server other than the kid cleaning out his locker at the end of the year. Give it to Josh if he desires and let him keep it. We will always remember Faz in 1 and Grundy in 4.

We hardly get to see 35 on the park, it feels semi retired. Maybe for a very high pick but other than that they are generally not ready for senior footy. Give it to Josh and let him wear it for his career so we can see the #35 grace the footy field consistently again.

Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 pm

I would vote #42 going to the first pick each year. There would be no better height to set the bar at, than Darren’s number. It makes a lot of sense to me eg life can be fickle so make the most of your time while the opportunity is there.

As for Josh, he may have little brother Nick wanting their Dad’s number. He’ll choose but I get sense he will opt for a number he can call his own.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:47 pm

The sentiment behind giving 35 to our first pick each year was nice but flawed. The number spends the majority of time in the VFL. Hardly a tribute realy. Give it to Daics kid.

With no 42, been done to death. I'd like to see the number back out there but the club won't do it unless Darren's mum agrees and hell will freeze over first.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:54 pm

With no 42, been done to death. I'd like to see the number back out there but the club won't do it unless Darren's mum agrees and hell will freeze over first.[/quote]

When it was first mooted that our first draft pick would get 42 we were affiliated with Williamstown and Shirley Millane didn't want it to happen because it was likely that it would rarely make it in the seniors. Now they all play for Collingwood she may have changed her mind.

The Daicos kid should have 35 if he wants it. Same as Rowdys kid can ask for 26 if he has his heart set on it.

Millane and daicos were both offered lower numbers during the careers but decided to stick with the numbers because at 100 games you got the name on the locker.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:45 pm
Post subject: Re: PLEASE Collingwood! See reason just this once!Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
I'm really saddened that the Dickhead's in suits can't see the benefits we accrue by having a Daicos wearing #35. No one expects a paid employee to care about the romance and illustrious history of our great club, so it's up to US to tell them!

During the year the one proposal I had which met with almost universal appeal was that of giving the 35 to Josh Daicos, and reviving the great #42 as the reward each year for being our first selection, rather than hanging it up as a 'dead' number, it becomes a living symbol of one of our greatest players. I know people want to see the great number as a living tradition rather than an empty locker, and I know Sean, Darren's brother, would approve. Its also a number which means a lot to Darren's good mate, Josh's dad, and it cannot help but put a sense of club history into the heart of the kid lucky enough to wear it each year!

"Young Josh Daicos wearing the great 35 picks the ball up one handed, sends a spearing pass straight on to the chest of Brown in #26, who handballs to this new kid who has shown so much in the great #42, and who's on the end of a perfect pass but the sensation of 2017, Darcy Moore in the number 30"

Sounds nice to me!

You know perfectly well that the Millane family have made it known that they do not want anyone, other than a Millane, to ever wear 42 for Collingwood. We have said we would respect their wishes.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:32 am

regan is true fullback wrote:
I would like to see the number 42 back in service soon, but not for a new draft choice as the pressure would be too great.

Give it instead, if they want it, to the next big fish, such as the enigmatic Daniel Wells or Treloar, or Jolley. These men already have careers in their old clubs, so wearing the famous old number would not worry them.

I have similar misgivings about the number 13, given its dubious history - Cooper, Bourke, Cole etc...

Our most famous player ever to wear 13 was the great dick lee, an utter champion in his day, and of course, daisy Thomas, when he really was daisy Thomas, not the shadow of himself he now is at scumland.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:38 am

woftam wrote:
Ffs we have a lot more issues as a club than what numbers players wear.

The last trade & free agency period was absolutely embarrassing. The guys that negotiated on our behalf Dekka, Gubby etc underperformed in a big way.

Lose Cloke for pick 72
Lose Witts for a 40's & a 60's pick
Lose Marley for pick 105
Lose Frost, pick 76 & a 2017 3rd round pick for a 2017 third & 4th round pick.
Lose Brown for nothing in FA

Bring in Mayne & give him a 4 year deal on $500,000 per year that nets Freo a low 20's compensation pick that pushes our first pick back further. He is a role player not a star.

Wells is a good get but at his age 3 years is a risk.

Hoskin Elliott. 2nd round pick. Time will tell but I have my doubts on him.

Dunn was brought in to cover for the backman we just lost due to our fire sale. There will be times he gets exposed badly.

I'm not sure how anyone can think our list has improved from 2016 to 2017 & we didn't end up with any decent draft picks to show for it either. Horrible negotiating from our guys. Paid too much for guys coming in & got nothing for guys going out.

I totally agree Woftam, we looked a bit bloody ridiculous at the trading table this year after doing so well last year, but that was partly forced on us by the AFL changing the goal posts after we got Darcy Moore, so we had to scramble for every point by trading everyone who didn’t play 20 games this year. I was actually amazed to read that we didn't lose the most players this year. The average was about 10-11. Obviously everyone sees this as a pivotal year in the game, I fear the sides which grabbed a lot of old players are planning on a lousy few years, and tanking for picks.

STILL, this thread was about the NUMBERS ok?

I start about 5 threads a year and most get deleted, moved, merged, or just disappear. So I'm not gonna brook any subject changing!!!

I know Sean Millane & his Mum, and though I haven't spoken to them on the matter I KNOW they would love to see the great no. 42 used & spoken about EVERY season. I knew Daz briefly and believe he'd prefer the number playing a part each year than gathering dust in the clubhouse. He was known for taking on young kids and showing them the ropes.

A Daicos in #35 would be the biggest thing for Magpie morale, especially old farts like me who are pissed off at recent developments, and would NOT overwhelm young Josh who has confidence up the wazoo!

I can also assure you that number 42 will NOT overawe our first pick, as most 18 year olds have never heard of Pants, although this might remedy that. The official line that they want to stick with 'tradition', really shows how little these dicks in suits understand the true 125 year tradition of our great club. To them it is a marketing opportunity, and a tradition which covers the single stupidest part of that 125 years, is hardly a tradition!

NO ONE loved watching Pants Millane play than I. A fellow Dandenong boy - The Redlegs too, not the "stingrays" Where the F are there Stingrays in Dandenong?!?! Doveton Baths?
Having he and Rowdy and Daics in the same side was pure joy, they were like 6 players! I have never seen the like, and the number of times I heard people say "Hang on, didn't he just kick it?" about him was gorgeous! He was everywhere!

How perfect then that our best young kid, our newest hope, wear a number so beloved and which represents such a dynamic champion, and which ALSO brings Daz's name to the fore each year (something I assure you Daz would've loved, he wasn't a shy boy!!!). The club has Missus Millanes number, ask her and Darren's bro, and I guarantee they'd be stoked that the number be worn by a new potential star each & every season.

Daics is not dead, he is still part of the club, he still loves Collingwood, and he Would DEFINITELY be proud to see his boy wearing his number! These measures would give hope and pride to the generation who saw these great names finally break the 32 year nightmare, and would certainly help with attendances and memberships!

Do you THINK my generation wouldn't be out in droves to see a Daicos in 35, a Moore in 30, a Brown in 26, and a new young gun in 42?

Really?

COME ON!!!!!!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Presti says hi.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Are you still located in it?
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:15 pm

I personally think that there is a lot more to be gained for all concerned if the number was released and given to the "Best Clubman" each year. This then puts it within the reach of all players and not just the most talented. As an example, Maxy was a great clubman and and it takes little to reflect and recognise his contribution to the team and our club.
daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:40 pm

35 casts a big shadow. Maybe Josh wants to wear it, maybe his brother Nicholas wants to wear it. Maybe Presti's son will one day want to wear it. At the moment we ALL still wear it in recognition of two amazing careers at Collingwood.

I am really looking forward to Josh coming to the 'pies and will happily wear whatever number he takes when he gets to play senior footy. It'll be a great day. Good luck to him.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:55 pm

It all makes sense now, I was destined to become a star of the AFL, but in my final year of junior footy they gave me a new number, the pressure of that number made my form suffer.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
It all makes sense now, I was destined to become a star of the AFL, but in my final year of junior footy they gave me a new number, the pressure of that number made my form suffer.

You too? I was destined to be a star of the VFL/AFL but 2 stuffed knees at 15 cost me.

Lack of game sense may have also had a minor role. Embarassed

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:09 pm

Presti35 wrote:
And sadly, in this day and age, some players just wouldn't give a rats about the number or the player who and wore it.

Even some Younger Fans would not Know about Milane and so they have not much Emotional Feelings towards the #42 and Darren Milane

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:10 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Since we started this "silly" (in my opinion) first year player wears number 35 thing, this is how many senior games the player with 35 has playedl

2016 - 0
2015 - 16 (De Goey)
2014 - 0
2013 - 7 (Grundy)
2012 - 15 (Elliott)
2011 - 13 (Fasolo)

The two zeros are what worry me, come on now, 35 should be given to a player who is in our best 10-15 players, not a first year kid.

Time to stop this silly idea, and give the number to a player who is likely to play every game for the next few seasons.

That be same as every number then Including #42

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: