Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The National, Pre-season and Rookie draft thread. (All done)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

themonk wrote:
Giants may lose picks 15 & 37 due to Whitfield saga, increases our chances of landing a key position player.

Cool

That was reported in The Age on Friday.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/gws-face-loss-of-draft-picks-over-lachie-whitfield-affair-20161111-gsn45r.html

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:35 am

If GWS lose those picks, then it will help us, even if only slightly.

I think it's pretty clear that we will take the best KPP defender available with our first pick.

Brennan Cox seems to feel like a favorite that could be there around our first pick.

Just don't forget that with the new bidding system, our first pick (currently 28 ) could be pushed back a few spaces. But this also means that our latter picks can come forward a few spots too. (This of course, will effect our picks when it comes to potential bids on young Daics and Brown)

Jordan Ridley, Zach Sproule and Josh Rotham are probably the next best KPP defenders that could be there at our first pick.

Jack Maibaum and Griffin Logue will probably be gone by our first pick, but sometimes you never know.

I think we'll be ok to use our first pick on a KPP and if we're extremely lucky, no bids will come on our f/s prospects before our second pick, but that could be extreme wishful thinking.

Cant wait for draft day.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:16 pm

We'll really be in the shit if both boys get bid on early, IMO Daicos is a priority, Brown not so much, just because his type isn't hard to find.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Bob Sugar wrote:
We'll really be in the shit if both boys get bid on early, IMO Daicos is a priority, Brown not so much, just because his type isn't hard to find.

I think Daics isn't as highly rated as Brown. I don't think we'll see a bid on either until the 2nd round. (Similar to young Silvagni last year.) Would love to get at least one pick in before matching a bid.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:

I think Daics isn't as highly rated as Brown. I don't think we'll see a bid on either until the 2nd round. (Similar to young Silvagni last year.) Would love to get at least one pick in before matching a bid.

Daics has little exposed form, he's high risk, potentially high reward, not the type to get drafted early when clubs are looking for low risk high reward.

Brown has more exposed form but his form is a good player, no X factor, good solid citizen of which the draft is full of. Again, nothing much to attract a first round pick.

Both kids are very capable given development but that's what low picks and the rookie draft is for. Any club that bids high on either is just playing with us to be pricks.

Having said that, I want them both and will lead the charge to firebomb the Holden centre if we pass on them.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:05 am

can someone who knows confirm if i am thinking of this the right way.

If someone uses pick 27 to take, say, Daicos, do we need to match with 28 given that we get a 20% discount? if we do, i assume that the pick just gets sent down the order.

So if Daicos is taken with pick 27 (703), that would cost our 28 pick (677) but the 28 pick would not disappear, it would just become pick 63 - because (80% of 703) - 677 = 115.

if taken with 26, our pick would become pick 65 (94 pts) and so on.

Am i thinking of this correctly?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:26 pm

E wrote:
can someone who knows confirm if i am thinking of this the right way.

If someone uses pick 27 to take, say, Daicos, do we need to match with 28 given that we get a 20% discount? if we do, i assume that the pick just gets sent down the order.

So if Daicos is taken with pick 27 (703), that would cost our 28 pick (677) but the 28 pick would not disappear, it would just become pick 63 - because (80% of 703) - 677 = 115.

if taken with 26, our pick would become pick 65 (94 pts) and so on.

Am i thinking of this correctly?

Yep, have to use the next pick, factor in the discount we'd likely get pick around mid 50's back to reflect the excess points. It's actually a flat 197 points discount beyond the 1st round rather than a stable 20% throughout.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:14 pm

Presti35 wrote:

I think it's pretty clear that we will take the best KPP defender available with our first pick.

Brennan Cox seems to feel like a favorite that could be there around our first pick.

Just don't forget that with the new bidding system, our first pick (currently 28 ) could be pushed back a few spaces. But this also means that our latter picks can come forward a few spots too. (This of course, will effect our picks when it comes to potential bids on young Daics and Brown)

Jordan Ridley, Zach Sproule and Josh Rotham are probably the next best KPP defenders that could be there at our first pick.

Jack Maibaum and Griffin Logue will probably be gone by our first pick, but sometimes you never know.

I think we'll be ok to use our first pick on a KPP and if we're extremely lucky, no bids will come on our f/s prospects before our second pick, but that could be extreme wishful thinking.

Cant wait for draft day.

In reality the chances of getting a quality tall at pick 28 are very very slim.

Look at our recent history as evidence.

A.Rocca, Prestigiacomo, Tarrant, Reid, L.Brown, N. Brown and Moore all former top 10 picks.

T. Cloke highly rated father son selection.

McCartney, Wilson and Roach failed top 10 selections.

Really Dawes is the only non top 10/father son selection I can think of that achieved limited success in being a role player in a premiership side.

Now think of all the key position players selected by us outside the parameters above and it's a plethora of failure to long to list.

If we're going to take a punt on a kpp at 28 then why not put a bid in for Macreadie?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:21 am

^

Cant seem to find a way to argue that.

But Chris Grant was taken at pick 105. Razz

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:37 am

I stand to be corrected but as I recall Kerrison, Russell and Francis from the 1990 flag team and Swannie from the 2010 flag team (there may well be a few others from both teams) were taken from outside top 25. Rolling Eyes
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:11 am

Lazza wrote:
I stand to be corrected but as I recall Kerrison, Russell and Francis from the 1990 flag team and Swannie from the 2010 flag team (there may well be a few others from both teams) were taken from outside top 25. Rolling Eyes

Swoop's talking about KPPs

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:30 am

swoop42 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Cant wait for draft day.

In reality the chances of getting a quality tall at pick 28 are very very slim.

Look at our recent history as evidence.

A.Rocca, Prestigiacomo, Tarrant, Reid, L.Brown, N. Brown and Moore all former top 10 picks.

T. Cloke highly rated father son selection.

McCartney, Wilson and Roach failed top 10 selections.

Really Dawes is the only non top 10/father son selection I can think of that achieved limited success in being a role player in a premiership side.

Now think of all the key position players selected by us outside the parameters above and it's a plethora of failure to long to list.

If we're going to take a punt on a kpp at 28 then why not put a bid in for Macreadie?

Have to agree that the Pies haven't done too well drafting KPP types late although the story for Frost and Marsh may not yet be fully written. The cream is generally taken early.

However, there are hidden gems to be had and other sides have done well. I certainly haven't spent a lot of time looking but 2010-14 Tom McDonald, J Pod, and Aliir Aliir all taken 3rd round or later, and Jeremy McGovern, Justin Clarke, Matt Taberner, Jack Redpath and Xavier Richards all take in the rookie draft.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:36 am

Oh I get our latter picks can come a few spots too .
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:14 pm

dalyc wrote:
Lazza wrote:

Swoop's talking about KPPs

OOPS and DURR.............. Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:14 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/emma-quayles-top-30-draft-rankings-20161113-gso7vw.html

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/14/top-50-prospects-for-2016-afl-draft-26-50/

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/11/17/top-50-prospects-for-2016-afl-draft-1-25/

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2016-champion-data-ranks-the-top-30-players-based-on-their-statistical-performances/news-story/febca6c18551c62dbbd7950dfc02ece6

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-20/callum-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-november-edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19   

Jump to: