Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The National, Pre-season and Rookie draft thread. (All done)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:55 am
Post subject: The National, Pre-season and Rookie draft thread. (All done)Reply with quote

Hopefully no other club will bid on Callum Brown before the 28th pick in the draft.

If they do, we'll have a problem. But I'm sure we'll match any realistic bid.

But what if no bid comes? Will we just go ahead and use that pick on Brown anyway? He is expected to fall around that selection and this means we'll shift our focus to pick 44 and Josh Daicos where the same questions arise.

Sorry, I'm rambling on. I'm sure the club has a plan.

This is a thread to discuss any players you think might be there around pick 28 if we don't have to use it on C.Brown. And of course any other players you think we might be looking at later in the draft.

Last edited by Presti35 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:12 am; edited 22 times in total
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:05 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very interested in Jonty Scharenberg who some had as a top 15 pick. He has since fallen a bit in the experts views and could still be there at pick 28.

And I was interested until I read this:

Quote:
The biggest knock on Scharenberg — both from an AFL club and his personal perspective — is his field kicking.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2016-jonty-scharenbergs-newfound-respect-for-older-brother-matt-at-collingwood/news-story/efb90cad4e08d54d7325cec4535fa4ab

That has dearly put me off. He is, however, a quick thinker and a tough inside ball winner. I guess you have to look at Matt Priddis. But gee whizz, when I read that he doesn't have the foot skills.... Maybe we'll go with a defender?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:42 pm
Post subject: Re: The Great Big General Pre-Draft Thread. (25 Days To Go).Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
Hopefully no other club will bid on Callum Brown before the 28th pick in the draft.

If they do, we'll have a problem. But I'm sure we'll match any realistic bid.

But what if no bid comes? Will we just go ahead and use that pick on Brown anyway? He is expected to fall around that selection and this means we'll shift our focus to pick 44 and Josh Daicos where the same questions arise.

Sorry, I'm rambling on. I'm sure the club has a plan.

This is a thread to discuss any players you think might be there around pick 28 if we don't have to use it on C.Brown. And of course any other players you think we might be looking at later in the draft.

Can't see any club firing a shot before pick 28 to be honest. If they do we get a automatic 20% discount in there bid and they slip down the draft order.
Realistically both are rated late second round onwards picks with Daicos considered a 3rd round option.
We have extra pick next year we can spend on points
If we want both which I assume we do we will land both simple.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:57 pm

My understanding is that if a club bids on one of our f/s selections, we must use our next pick to match (+ others to make up points if necessary).

If no bid comes before 28, we would use that pick on another player, and then wait to see what happens. It's considered a deep draft so 28 could be a good player. I imagine we'll wait until a bid for Brown (or Daicos) comes and then match following. It would only be a point of contention if a bid comes prior to 28, when a decision must be made realistically between f/s player and whoever we rate at 28.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:54 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
My understanding is that if a club bids on one of our f/s selections, we must use our next pick to match (+ others to make up points if necessary).

If no bid comes before 28, we would use that pick on another player, and then wait to see what happens. It's considered a deep draft so 28 could be a good player. I imagine we'll wait until a bid for Brown (or Daicos) comes and then match following. It would only be a point of contention if a bid comes prior to 28, when a decision must be made realistically between f/s player and whoever we rate at 28.

My understanding is its about points. If some one bids with say pick 20 (912 points) then we get our 20% discount (912 - 184=728 points) or the equivalent of pick 26. How we make up those points is completely up to us we can combine our current draft picks to get to that value or if we use a higher pick then those points go back onto our later pick. We can also use picks (other than first round) from the 2017 draft including any drafts picks we have already traded in from other clubs to make up the points required.
I'm fairly confident in a draft that's fairly even with no outstanding players but many decent/fair prospects I can't see either boy going to early. Also there are several other father sons who are rated better prospects than ours at this stage.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:49 am

So who might we be looking at for pick 28?

Anyone know about Alex Witherden? A 186cm rebounding defender?

Apparently he's good decision maker and has a penetrating kick. One analysis also says he is a very good user of the ball and has good vision. Although it seems that he isnt overly fast by foot.

It's always hard to judge where the recruiters see these players, but is this kid one who might slot into out team in the second half of the year?

The bad news for him, is that he suffered a broken leg earlier in the year, so he didnt get a good chance to show recruiters what he really has.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:54 am

Based on the posts above (which I was careful not to "quote" - credit please mods) it sounds like the bidding rules have changed. will bids come in real time? If so, that's really cool. we will be sweating the number 27 pick pretty badly if it gets to that.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:58 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Boogie Knights wrote:

My understanding is its about points. If some one bids with say pick 20 (912 points) then we get our 20% discount (912 - 184=728 points) or the equivalent of pick 26. How we make up those points is completely up to us we can combine our current draft picks to get to that value or if we use a higher pick then those points go back onto our later pick. We can also use picks (other than first round) from the 2017 draft including any drafts picks we have already traded in from other clubs to make up the points required.
I'm fairly confident in a draft that's fairly even with no outstanding players but many decent/fair prospects I can't see either boy going to early. Also there are several other father sons who are rated better prospects than ours at this stage.

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I am 100% sure it doesn't work the way you are saying.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:24 pm

my understanding is that we won't bust a gut to get brown or daicos if we're seriously challenged.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:28 pm

E wrote:
Based on the posts above (which I was careful not to "quote" - credit please mods) it sounds like the bidding rules have changed. will bids come in real time? If so, that's really cool. we will be sweating the number 27 pick pretty badly if it gets to that.

didn't they bid in real time last year? i am fairly certain that is how dunkley got to the welfare and not the swans. actually:

Quote:
After nominating the Swans as his preferred destination under the father-son rule, his father's old club declined to match the Bulldogs' bid of pick No.25 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, much to the Dogs' joy.

Tubewayarmy 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:45 pm

The AFL have really nailed the draft methodology!
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:57 pm

John Wren wrote:
didn't they bid in real time last year? i am fairly certain that is how dunkley got to the welfare and not the swans. actually:

The bidding was indeed performed in real time last year.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:39 am

John Wren wrote:

Quote:
After nominating the Swans as his preferred destination under the father-son rule, his father's old club declined to match the Bulldogs' bid of pick No.25 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, much to the Dogs' joy.

Bloody hell, not that he was the deciding factor, but I bet they wish they could take that one back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:14 am

John Wren wrote:
my understanding is that we won't bust a gut to get brown or daicos if we're seriously challenged.

Where do you get that understanding from?
I thought it was get them no matter what?

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:19 am

If we take J Scharenberg, we will then face 2 related "go home" issues in a few years?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19   

Jump to: