Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A message to Bucks: use the force

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need to infect every threat with your one dimensional negative comments. Give us a break.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:20 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Do you really need to infect every threat with your one dimensional negative comments. Give us a break.

Gee that is an original comment.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:23 pm

Collingwood fans have a lot to be optimistic about and can't help feel that the slanted media analyses has a lot to do with creating negative sentiment. Take into account the following:

* SEN at 5:52pm today crosses to Tim Watson whose lead sports story is about "Bux under pressure with Pies fixture release for 2017".

For gods sake, has he ever never been under pressure??? From the days he went to Brisbane Bears, to the 1994 move to the Pies not the Roos, to pre 2002 Grand Final day when all media pundits said "until he does it in September" ........ To the succession plan pre-takeover then to the post Mick takeover, to the NOW .......

He has never had one year to relax from the limelight, breathe, relax and let natural tendencies and progression to develop. He is has been such an easy target for dumb, thoroughless and low hanging fruit journalists needing to fill air time and copy space.

Lets as hard core Pies fans not add to the noise and give him 2017 plus hope that injuries, Gubby Allan or any other external factors can piss off for 12 months.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:28 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Collingwood fans have a lot to be optimistic about and can't help feel that the slanted media analyses has a lot to do with creating negative sentiment. Take into account the following:

* SEN at 5:52pm today crosses to Tim Watson whose lead sports story is about "Bux under pressure with Pies fixture release for 2017".

For gods sake, has he ever never been under pressure??? From the days he went to Brisbane Bears, to the 1994 move to the Pies not the Roos, to pre 2002 Grand Final day when all media pundits said "until he does it in September" ........ To the succession plan pre-takeover then to the post Mick takeover, to the NOW .......

He has never had one year to relax from the limelight, breathe, relax and let natural tendencies and progression to develop. He is has been such an easy target for dumb, thoroughless and low hanging fruit journalists needing to fill air time and copy space.

Lets as hard core Pies fans not add to the noise and give him 2017 plus hope that injuries, Gubby Allan or any other external factors can piss off for 12 months.

Bux bleeds black and white.
There is no harder worker for the benefit of CFC than Bux.
He is probably the best clubman in the last 30 years.
But he is not up to the task.

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 pm
Post subject: Re: A message to Bucks: use the forceReply with quote

thompsoc wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
magpieazza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
With the new season still several months away, I can't help but feel that our club is currently facing numerous problems, on and off the field, and there is a growing air of despondency. Apart from the latest Gubby Allan fiasco and murmerings of discontent amongst our football department over the treatment of some staff, our supporters seem to be divided into two camps, the "perceptive fellow" who want Buckley out and the lollipop brigade who think he deserves one more year to turn things around.

What is missing is a sense of genuine excitement and optimism for our short to medium term future. Part of this imo, is the way we have allowed our club to become not much more than a franchise of the AFL. In abandoning our spiritual home all those years ago, we set up shop in South Yarra, but despite the quality of the facilities there, it has never felt like a home. Collingwood members and supporters are simply customers. This is not a unique problem of ours, but rather the result of the corporatisation of sport.

The problem is made worse by the fact that our coach, whom I am a strong supporter of, seems oblivious to the need to engage and connect with fans. As good a communicator as Bucks is, and imo he's the best public communicator of all AFL coaches, one gets the feeling that he sees his job purely in terms of preparing the players and making positional moves on match day.

However, not all is lost. As a Buckley fan, I'm hoping he can do more than this. For those who follow the round ball game and especially the English Premier League, you should know about my 'other' club, Liverpool, and its amazing coach/manager, Jurgen Klopp. From the moment he arrived at Liverpool midway through last season, a team which were in the doldrums (but are now sitting equal first on the Premier League table), he made it clear that the players, coaches and the fans all had a role to play in making Liverpool great again. He regularly implores the fans to create a ferocious atmosphere for visiting teams, and speaks glowingly of them, as being part of the club, and the reason the club is great. He often says things like "to win this game we need the fans to help us and inspire us". He has created an incredible bond between players and fans, something which had been in decline for many years. Liverpool is now on the march, in part, because Klopp has smashed down the dividing line between team and fans.

So Bucks, I have been concerned at your apparent belief that it's not your role to motivate the players. Luke Beveridge has demonstrated how a coach can help generate team spirit and enthusiasm, beyond that of players being professional. However, as well as recognising that as coach you have a key role in motivating the team, as head of the CFC, you have a powerful weapon, a force, the Magpie Army, which you have not properly mobilised. Let's not simply limp into and through another season. Bucks, I'm asking you to make it your job to encourage, activate and mobilise the Magpie Army to support, encourage and inspire our team in 2017. We have a power and force like no other club, but it's been in 'sleep mode' for several years now. Make us believe again and together lets go into battle and demonstrate and celebrate the meaning of COLLINGWOOD. Side by Side.

Mate, this is exactly what we need!!

I wrote about Klopp and his influence to the whole club just a few weeks ago when it looked apparent this was missing with us. I likened the influence of Beveridge similar to Klopps.

I too am a Buckley supporter but this slight disconnect between fans and the club is a piece missing from the puzzle.

Great to see another Liverpool fan, its going to be a great year and the belief he has spread around the club is very real.
The belief bounces from person to person within the club and media circles, and is a genuine force you can breath in and smell.

I loved it when Nick Maxwell came out at the start of 2010 and said Collingwood would win the premiership that year.

"Side by Side" is the same as "You'll never walk alone".

Collingwood and Liverpool were both formed in 1892. Cool

I love You will never walk alone...that is fantastic.
But side by side
Is often used on this forum to shut people up.
There is a huge difference in the meaning between the two.

....stepping over the line there a bit thompsoc, don't bring your battles here, you have taken this out of context.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:43 pm

No I am not.
The use of side by side to squash criticism of certain members of the inner
Circle at CFC is what I object to.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:47 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I have zero time for soccer, but my son talked me into watching a movie called green St Hooligans several years ago. The club in the movie, Millwall, is from the area my fathers family came from apparently, but I also have no interest in blowing bubbles. Michael Jackson had that routine down pat.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:50 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Please don't compare us to Liverpool Embarassed

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:52 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Cam wrote:
Hear, hear.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

- Albert Einstein

If you truly think that we are destined to keep repeating the same mistake you are certainly lacking any understanding of human development and intellect.

Bucks is not stupid and he certainly has the ability to analyse his past actions, recognise and identify the flaws and improve on the process.

I do not know much about coaching but after 40 + years of being a man manager I have a pretty good idea of what makes people tick and how to get the most out of people. It is obvious to me that Bucks still has a great deal to learn about human application and one of his greatest issues is that he has a tendency to judge others by his own high professional standards and expects others to behave in a similar manner to himself. Disapointment is guaranteed.

I am confident he is learning and we hopefully will see him as being a better people person next year and a better coach.

By the way Rude Boy, I think your assessment of the situation is spot on.

I'm a primary school teacher.

I see some people who are very skilled teachers, but don't have fun with their charges and thus don't engage with them. They just teach at them. So the students rate them down, and they actually achieve less despite what the teacher offers knowledge wise. Because as you would know, given your vast experience with people management, its usually not so much the message, but rather the delivery or the non-verbals that make or break relationships.

And often many teachers in this boat never change because they never see it as a problem with themselves, only with the individuals that aren't meeting their high expectations. I'm hearing there is a disconnect, and unless the mountain moves, the sea may not ever be able to reach it. Unfortunately sometimes you only learn by failing, bigtime, smalltime doesn't do much to harm the hardened.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:03 am

what a load of rubbish!! Everyone knows deep down in their heart that the Magpie army will rally around a successful team.

I remember the last cycle. Tonnes and tonnes of bickering and dissent among pies army over the direction MM was taking our team. shit, i got my name trying to convince people that we were developing an elite midfield when everyone else was saying that we had recruited a bunch of hacks with now stars.

As we rolled toward 2010, the Magpie army slowly came out of hibernation and the bickering stopped. mid 2010 until Sept 2011 was about as bicker free a time as i can remember.

So you have the order all wrong. Bucks needs to build a team for us to believe in, and then, and only then, will the Magpie Army unite around them.

AND I GUARANTEE YOU. IF BUCKs PUTS TOGETHER A SERIOUS VIRTUAL PREMIERSHIP TEAM (which i define as any team that can play in a grand final against GWS over the next 8 years since they are going to win the next 8 flags), the Army will be there and the bickering (even about Buckley) will stop.

We always think we are living in new times. But this cycle has been happening over and over throughout the years and there is no reason to believe anything will change this time around.

Success begets unity! Success begets the Army!

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:06 am

Coaches are given too much credit when the team is going well. Coaches cop too much of the blame when a team is going poorly.

The last time that I went to a Collingwood match, round 23 2016 v Hawthorn, I did not see Buckley kick a ball, give a handball, take a mark or lay a tackle. I also didn't see him on field during the game providing leadership by directing players to set up in a certain way or go to a certain position on the ground. Apparently, it is the players that do all these things.

The one thing that always comes to the fore in discussions about successful football sides is the leadership of players. Coaches like David Parkin and Alastair Clarkson have said on numerous occasions that their successful teams were built on players taking ownership and basically coaching themselves. How many times in the last five years have you heard commentary saying that Hawthorn has five or six on-field coaches?

In hearing Buckley speak about coaching it is clear that his philosophy is to empower the playing group to take ownership and drive their own success. For this to be successful you need to have leaders capable of driving the playing group on and off the field.

One of our major problems in the last three seasons has been our lack of leadership on-field, too much has been left to Pendles. The 2016 leadership group of Pendles, Sidey, Adams, Maccaffer and Brown hardly played a game together.

In seasons 2014 and 2015, if you watched our games closely the only player consistently directing players on-field was Pendles. In 2016, Sidey and Adams started to help Pendles in this area. In hearing Adam Treloar speak, I believe that now that he has one year under his belt with us, that he will also begin to help in this area.

A priority in 2017 is to develop more players to assist Pendles, Adams, Sidey and Treloar in driving the team on-field. This will automatically improve if we can sustain a period where the nucleus of the side is able to play a string of games together to build the camaraderie.

Buckley's philosophy of empowering the playing group is sound and from someone that has played high level sport, if you have to rely on someone to always get you up to perform than your success is going to be very short lived.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:40 am

mooretreloar wrote:
Coaches are given too much credit when the team is going well. Coaches cop too much of the blame when a team is going poorly.

The last time that I went to a Collingwood match, round 23 2016 v Hawthorn, I did not see Buckley kick a ball, give a handball, take a mark or lay a tackle. I also didn't see him on field during the game providing leadership by directing players to set up in a certain way or go to a certain position on the ground. Apparently, it is the players that do all these things.

The one thing that always comes to the fore in discussions about successful football sides is the leadership of players. Coaches like David Parkin and Alastair Clarkson have said on numerous occasions that their successful teams were built on players taking ownership and basically coaching themselves. How many times in the last five years have you heard commentary saying that Hawthorn has five or six on-field coaches?

In hearing Buckley speak about coaching it is clear that his philosophy is to empower the playing group to take ownership and drive their own success. For this to be successful you need to have leaders capable of driving the playing group on and off the field.

One of our major problems in the last three seasons has been our lack of leadership on-field, too much has been left to Pendles. The 2016 leadership group of Pendles, Sidey, Adams, Maccaffer and Brown hardly played a game together.

In seasons 2014 and 2015, if you watched our games closely the only player consistently directing players on-field was Pendles. In 2016, Sidey and Adams started to help Pendles in this area. In hearing Adam Treloar speak, I believe that now that he has one year under his belt with us, that he will also begin to help in this area.

A priority in 2017 is to develop more players to assist Pendles, Adams, Sidey and Treloar in driving the team on-field. This will automatically improve if we can sustain a period where the nucleus of the side is able to play a string of games together to build the camaraderie.

Buckley's philosophy of empowering the playing group is sound and from someone that has played high level sport, if you have to rely on someone to always get you up to perform than your success is going to be very short lived.

MT I don't disagree with your assessment of what bucks is trying to do. I actually think it's a positive step empowering the individual and making them accountable for performance.
My only question mark is over those chosen to be leaders.
Pendles is still learning as a skipper and he will be better again in 2017. He's a follow my example style leader which is a distinct variation from Maxy who was a leader by words and fearless actions.
For this empowerment process to work we need variation in our leaders and there style of leadership.
Pendles is a given to be skipper again and as the 2016 season progressed especially the second half he was learning that other side of leadership which is directing others around him. Clarkson often mentions Hodge Mitchell Burgoyne Lewis are his coaches on the field hence why when the game is close they go into autopilot in set-ups and structure its second nature to them after many years of practise we are still getting that.
Our leadership group last year didn't cut mustard for several reasons. It's not a knock on those in the group from 2016 it just didn't work.
Sidey for mine isn't a leader. He's neither a voice or instructor naturally. This isn't a knock on him but not every player is cut out for leadership. Personally I think he needs to be a selfish player concentrating on his own performance which in turn benefits the team. He and Pendles are to much the same style as a person to be in the leadership group together.
We need more voice from our other leaders and also need a motivating type who can rally around a individual who makes a error we need variation in styles (like Hawthorne Hodge is different to Burgoyne who is different to Mitchell who is different to Lewis)
Adams missed matches so it's hard to judge fairly but I like the voice he brings. He's young and worth persisting with.
We need to find a leader then who is confident in there own performance enough to be able to motivate and assist others when things aren't going that players way. This style of leader can still perform there job but also get around his team mate when required. I like someone like Trelaor for this job. He's clearly our second best player and his spot will never be in jeopardy and he oozes confidence which can rub off on others.
We also need that confidant style who young players can go to with any issues and be there sounding board. Again this player must be in the best 22 every week and be a strong enough person who can speak to the player with empathy but also strong enough to point out any short comings that player may have but doing it in a positive way. Finding that person isn't easy but I think someone like Howe or Reid seem like the personalities who could handle this.
Finally we need a leader who can fill the void of any of the above if the situation arises. Someone to fill several roles who knows how to be w bit of everything to everyone especially th skipper. He is the go to player for the coaches or coaches to get messages across to certain players or the group as required. Again he must be a walk up start in the 22 and be highly respected among the group not only by performance but by selfless actions putting team above individual. This is the hard player to find. This player takes pressure off the skipper without being heard over the skippers voice but his voice fills the gaps. I'm not sure who this player in our team is.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:07 am

Cam wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
If you truly think that we are destined to keep repeating the same mistake you are certainly lacking any understanding of human development and intellect.

Bucks is not stupid and he certainly has the ability to analyse his past actions, recognise and identify the flaws and improve on the process.

I do not know much about coaching but after 40 + years of being a man manager I have a pretty good idea of what makes people tick and how to get the most out of people. It is obvious to me that Bucks still has a great deal to learn about human application and one of his greatest issues is that he has a tendency to judge others by his own high professional standards and expects others to behave in a similar manner to himself. Disapointment is guaranteed.

I am confident he is learning and we hopefully will see him as being a better people person next year and a better coach.

By the way Rude Boy, I think your assessment of the situation is spot on.

I'm a primary school teacher.

I see some people who are very skilled teachers, but don't have fun with their charges and thus don't engage with them. They just teach at them. So the students rate them down, and they actually achieve less despite what the teacher offers knowledge wise. Because as you would know, given your vast experience with people management, its usually not so much the message, but rather the delivery or the non-verbals that make or break relationships.

And often many teachers in this boat never change because they never see it as a problem with themselves, only with the individuals that aren't meeting their high expectations. I'm hearing there is a disconnect, and unless the mountain moves, the sea may not ever be able to reach it. Unfortunately sometimes you only learn by failing, bigtime, smalltime doesn't do much to harm the hardened.

Certainly being a school teacher you would be very much tuned into personal development but with a very different cross section and age group.

I personally believe that there are opportunities for personal growth and things to learn every day. Unfortunately some take advantage of what is on offer. Some, like the teachers who have not grown their skills so that they can interact with children at a more effective level will never get it. From their perspective they are doing their job well based upon self imposed limitations.

I see Buckley as a deep and and analytical character. I personally think he has the ability to identify his limitations and grow beyond them. If he he can do this and at the same time maintain a good macro understating of the situation I believe he will improve on an ongoing basis and results will follow.

The fact is that we just have to live with those teachers that never grow beyond their rigid perceptions and the managers and individuals of influence who will never take the next step in their development and as a result they will continue to limit the opportunities and outcomes of those who rely upon them.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 am

Bucks moved from school to school as a kid, 12 or 13 different ones IIRC from his book. He didn't have close friends, his relationship with his dad wasn't great until he was much older. He is tough, and didn't rely on close relationships or bonds to survive. He became one of the hardest men, mentally in the game. He didn't really need people much.

However he is married, and a father, and both those facts will have changed him. There is hope, but I fear his metamorphosis will come too late for us. Having taught 20-75 year olds at TAFE in IT, high school kids, and down to babies that have grown up in my house, I can safely say that in every class you have a clown, its their thing. There are the shy kids that work hard no matter what, ones that are shy and only thrive with constant praise, showoffs with high skills that have superiority complexes [possibly rightly so], showoffs with low skills that compensate via their vaudeville, high maintenance ones with low skills, need praise and disrupt others. Every class has these, no matter what the age, although you do get less disruptive ones after 30 as they tend to be there with a focus.

Point is, I really hope that we are not trying to have one type of player at Collingwood. Because no matter how hard we try, people shift roles to fill them. Take out the class clown and another will spring up in its place, it's social nature. Respect the diversity, embrace the diversity, individualise and maximise improvement. And don't tell the players to not listen to music before a game [as happened this year] - because everyone prepares differently.

I, too see the affable man on the TV and in the post game interviews and think "How can this possibly not be working?". Maybe it doesn't translate? Maybe MM poisoned everyone at the time and Bucks never had a chance. Not all movies have happy endings, particularly at Collingwood.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 am

Just on leadership I can't see the criticism levelled at Pendlebury as warranted. To me he's a great leader who leads from the front, plays even when injured and speaks well in front of the media. The only criticism I have of Adams is that he throws himself into the fray too much putting his body at risk. We need Adams out there on the field every game, not watching from the sidelines.
Sidebottom gets into the leadership group by default, admittedly not the ideal route to promotion, but as one of the most senior and skilled players in the side, he needs to stay there. Obviously Brown and Macaffer didn't work out. We need one of the back six to step up into the leadership group. Howe to me would be a good choice to promote.
Treloar is the other obvious one to promote into the leadership group.
Not a good look if three of the leadership group are outsiders, but we haven't been drafting players with leadership qualities into the club lately and this has been making Buckley's task to win games harder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: