Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A message to Bucks: use the force

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

KenH wrote:
How do you get the Ponny full of Magpie supporters? I for one am not a fan of sitting or standing near the goals. If I get seats near any of the goal areas I won't go or I will go and stand somewhere else. I like to be as close to the centre as possible. I don't think I am the only one?

I always like standing behind the goals.
Just my choice.
But for good viewing nothing beats the wings.
But at the MCG the cricket club and afl members have this area sown up.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:55 pm

I try to at least get to the 50mt arc.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:39 pm

KenH wrote:
I try to at least get to the 50mt arc.

Interesting avatar.
A white backed and a black backed magpies.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:28 pm

Home and clash variants?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Home and clash variants?

Well done!

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Ha ha hadn't thought of that!
E 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:14 am
Post subject: Re: A message to Bucks: use the forceReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
With the new season still several months away, I can't help but feel that our club is currently facing numerous problems, on and off the field, and there is a growing air of despondency. Apart from the latest Gubby Allan fiasco and murmerings of discontent amongst our football department over the treatment of some staff, our supporters seem to be divided into two camps, the "perceptive fellow" who want Buckley out and the lollipop brigade who think he deserves one more year to turn things around.

What is missing is a sense of genuine excitement and optimism for our short to medium term future. Part of this imo, is the way we have allowed our club to become not much more than a franchise of the AFL. In abandoning our spiritual home all those years ago, we set up shop in South Yarra, but despite the quality of the facilities there, it has never felt like a home. Collingwood members and supporters are simply customers. This is not a unique problem of ours, but rather the result of the corporatisation of sport.

The problem is made worse by the fact that our coach, whom I am a strong supporter of, seems oblivious to the need to engage and connect with fans. As good a communicator as Bucks is, and imo he's the best public communicator of all AFL coaches, one gets the feeling that he sees his job purely in terms of preparing the players and making positional moves on match day.

However, not all is lost. As a Buckley fan, I'm hoping he can do more than this. For those who follow the round ball game and especially the English Premier League, you should know about my 'other' club, Liverpool, and its amazing coach/manager, Jurgen Klopp. From the moment he arrived at Liverpool midway through last season, a team which were in the doldrums (but are now sitting equal first on the Premier League table), he made it clear that the players, coaches and the fans all had a role to play in making Liverpool great again. He regularly implores the fans to create a ferocious atmosphere for visiting teams, and speaks glowingly of them, as being part of the club, and the reason the club is great. He often says things like "to win this game we need the fans to help us and inspire us". He has created an incredible bond between players and fans, something which had been in decline for many years. Liverpool is now on the march, in part, because Klopp has smashed down the dividing line between team and fans.

So Bucks, I have been concerned at your apparent belief that it's not your role to motivate the players. Luke Beveridge has demonstrated how a coach can help generate team spirit and enthusiasm, beyond that of players being professional. However, as well as recognising that as coach you have a key role in motivating the team, as head of the CFC, you have a powerful weapon, a force, the Magpie Army, which you have not properly mobilised. Let's not simply limp into and through another season. Bucks, I'm asking you to make it your job to encourage, activate and mobilise the Magpie Army to support, encourage and inspire our team in 2017. We have a power and force like no other club, but it's been in 'sleep mode' for several years now. Make us believe again and together lets go into battle and demonstrate and celebrate the meaning of COLLINGWOOD. Side by Side.

Thank You mate...Thank You.

Pretty much laughed at by the club this season when it was suggested we all get together at the six minute mark of the third quarter ( 36 ) to create the 'swanny chant' The club simply was not interested and made us feel as though we were being silly. The Magpie Army is a powerful weapon and responsible for many stirring victories in the past...We the magpie army have been decimated by people at the club who dont see things the collingwood way...they dont understand the collingwood way...we are a shell of the army we used to be...we need representation at club level with ideas, crazy ideas, fun ideas, In our own way we told to club to go and get stuffed as we went to the bottom three decks of ponsford stand prior to the game with the swanny chant...you know what our fellow supporters were excited by the idea genuinly excited....it kind of worked ok too...but if we had of had our club on side i reckon it could of been amazing....what ever happened to SIDE BY SIDE.

Thanks Bruce love your work mate Smile

No worries brother Joff. We've always been on the same wavelength mate. As much as I admire what Ed and the board have done for our club, I honestly think that the dominance of corporate types - who are nevertheless invaluable - running our club has resulted in us losing most of our soul. You are right, Joff, we should be aiming to have at least one rank and file supporter on our board to ensure that our club doesn't simply morph into a brand or franchise of the AFL.

But getting back to fan base support, I'd really like to see Bucks take the lead on this by acknowledging the important role we supporters can play on match day, in encouraging, inspiring and urging on our team. FFS, Side by Side has got to mean something.

New York Rangers have a really cool thing that they do (and have been doing it since 1979). There was a player called Potvin who injured a key Ranger back in 1979 (the injury is talked of in the same way as the Phil Carmen/Rocca suspensions - i.e., cost 'em the flag).

So they have this thing where any fan is entitled to start a pre-agreed whistle at any time during any game. As the whistle gets to the end of its familiar tune the entire Rangers crowd yells out "POTVIN SUCKS". After it happens the mood in the building improves and everyone high fives each other based on the success of the chant. It is really cool.

here is some history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FstauekNkMA

Would be great if we had a trigger for some kind of Swanny thing and that this could become lore at Collingwood games.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Here are a few quotes from Jurgen Klopp, Leverpool FC's coach/manager, from today's press conference, talking about the importance of the club's fans. This is a manager who has embraced the fans and tells them that they have an important role in helping the team to victory. Wouldn't it be great if bucks could take a leaf from Klopp and re-energise the Magpie Army by letting them know that he and the team need them.

From Klopp:

“With the crowd it is the same as the team - we always have to perform,” Klopp said.

“At home to West Brom it was brilliant. The biggest difference was that even when we conceded a goal the people were not saying ‘oh my God’.

“Of course the thinking has changed. Since we played Dortmund people know they should not leave the stadium before the final whistle.

“It’s not about what I want, it’s more about what makes sense. The people and the players have created a different atmosphere. You can always sit back and say: 'That’s wrong, that’s wrong, that’s wrong.'

“When you are a guest in the stadium, you can buy the ticket, watch the game and do what you want, but to really help you have to perform, even as a crowd.

“It can make a big difference in a positive way. The performances this season from the crowd and the team have been better.

“We play a kind of emotional football and that’s how football should be."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:02 pm

Well I love the second last line! I'll quote that to hubby next time he tells me to shut up! Oh yeah, I'm a right performer when it comes to footy!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:15 am

More from Jurgen Klopp yesterday on the importance of Liverpool's supporters:

“Once again our supporters will have a big part to play. We are here today for an early-afternoon Sunday kick-off, but there is no reason why the atmosphere cannot be special. There is no reason why we cannot make this a special game and a special afternoon.

“The fans have played a huge role so far but, as with the players, they need to continue on this path. The matches at Anfield this season have been perfect for us in terms of the atmosphere playing a role in helping the team. The same level of performance would be perfect.”
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:42 am

Love it,
And if crowds of fans can achieve that at a soccer match, surely we can do better supporting the greatest team in the world playing the greatest game on the world!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:40 pm

think positive wrote:
Love it,
And if crowds of fans can achieve that at a soccer match, surely we can do better supporting the greatest team in the world playing the greatest game on the world!

Exactly right TP. Cool
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
think positive wrote:
Love it,

Exactly right TP. Cool

I would like to think that you are right but the reality is that the old days are finished. The AFL has worked remarkably diligently over the last couple of decades to transform the game, and its supporters. The tribal foundation upon which football was built is gone and along with that went most of the supporters passion. For the viewing public football is now just one of many entertainment options.

The care factor that used to exist does not exist in younger generations. It angers me that supporters of other clubs do not hate Collingwood any more. We are just another football team.

During the Bodyline series Douglas Jardine was reported to have brushed a fly away. A larrikin from the crowd yelled out " leave our flies alone you Pommy bastard". Move forward almost a century. If you said that at the MCG you would be at risk of being tossed out of the ground.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:16 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
think positive wrote:
Love it,

Exactly right TP. Cool

I would like to think that you are right but the reality is that the old days are finished. The AFL has worked remarkably diligently over the last couple of decades to transform the game, and its supporters. The tribal foundation upon which football was built is gone and along with that went most of the supporters passion. For the viewing public football is now just one of many entertainment options.

The care factor that used to exist does not exist in younger generations. It angers me that supporters of other clubs do not hate Collingwood any more. We are just another football team.

During the Bodyline series Douglas Jardine was reported to have brushed a fly away. A larrikin from the crowd yelled out " leave our flies alone you Pommy bastard". Move forward almost a century. If you said that at the MCG you would be at risk of being tossed out of the ground.

You are perfectly correct that the old days are finished and the corporatisation of our game has seriously diluted the tribalism which generated so much passion. However, we, the fans, don't have to simply accept the dictates of the suits. We can ignore their pronouncements and edicts and support Collingwood in the way we want to. All I'm asking is that Bucks acknowledges the power of the sleeping Magpie Army and embraces it and energises it in support of our team.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:00 pm

Forget about Jurgen Klopp and Liverpool RudeBoy, it's all about Antonio Conte and Chelsea Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: