Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why do Collingwood fans support Newcastle United?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 3:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

sunderland made the decision not to apply for the intertoto cup, preferring to have qualified directly. sadly they didn't, which meant they weren't good enough in the first place. I've heard that the intertoto cup can be quite gruelling on players. it may be a decision on peter reid to keep the players fresh and give them a chance to get back from injury.

newcastle's last major honours were: 1955 FA Cup (domestic), 1968-69 European Fairs Cup (europe). sunderland's last major honour was the 1973 FA Cup. then again, I don't support sunderland solely because of trophies.

I suppose there is some historical precedent as Collingwood the suburb, then the football club, were named after Lord Admiral Collingwood who was......a Geordie, and whose statue stands somewhere in Tyneside. I don't know if many Collingwood/Newcastle fans would know this association.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
Chipper_Toon 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 11:30 am

We won the league cup in 1975.
Two FA Cup finals in 1998 and 1999, and Semi-finals in 2000.
If we make the UEFA cup through inter-toto, i don't care if it is gruelling. Plus, we will be well prepared for the start of the league season. Yep, role on August 25th!

TSV 1860 Munich 2 Newcastle Utd 3
Olympia Stadion, Munich
Inter-ToTo Cup, Semi-finals 1st leg
Attendance 12,000 (germans don't give shit)

-------------------------
Pies for September!!!
Toon for Europe!!!
The future is bright....... the future is Black & White
And the the hell is Chipper????

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2001 4:31 pm

aston villa won the league cup in 1975. newcastle won the texaco cup in 1975 (not the same thing) and were runners up in the league cup in 1976 to manchester city.

Chipper_Toon 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 6:33 am

Far enough. I was sure we won something in '75.

-------------------------
Pies for September!!!
Toon for Europe!!!
The future is bright....... the future is Black & White
And where the hell is Chipper????

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 11:35 am

the texaco cup was quite interesting. it was sponsored by the petrol company texaco (until 1975) and involved clubs from england, scotland, northern ireland and the republic of ireland who hadn't qualified for europe. newcastle have won it twice, beating burnley 2-1 in 1974 and southhampton 3-1 on aggregate over two legs in 1975.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 7:54 am

SUNDERLAND.......HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHAT A CROCK OF SHIT !!!!!

GO THE MIGHTY NEWCASTLE UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB

THE GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE OF ST JAMES PARK WILL LIVE FOREVER
GO THE GEORDIES.......

SUNDERLAND I WOULDNT PISS ON THEM IF THEY WERE ON FIRE !!!

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

Millane42 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:51 am

Hey Junkboy who gives a toss what you think - I have always gone for chelsea, my dad did and i grew up liking them. That doesn't make me a "glory hunter". Chelsea are a solid performer in the 1990's and early 2000's, but have only ever won 1 title. Liverpool seem to have more bandwagon supporters - they have won 18 titles and many people will say they go for them but only because they are successful. Go Millwall as well in the first division - go lions!

But in the real footy go pies!!!

Millane42 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 8:51 am

Hey Junkboy who gives a toss what you think - I have always gone for chelsea, my dad did and i grew up liking them. That doesn't make me a "glory hunter". Chelsea are a solid performer in the 1990's and early 2000's, but have only ever won 1 title. Liverpool seem to have more bandwagon supporters - they have won 18 titles and many people will say they go for them but only because they are successful. Go Millwall as well in the first division - go lions!

But in the real footy go pies!!!

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:22 pm

Hey Millane before you go giving Junkboy a hard time (who's one of the better contributors to this forum) you should sort your own bloody life out- saying you 'go for Chelsea' & then saying 'Go Millwall as well in the 1st Division' is the same as barracking for Collingwood & saying but I like Carlton as well.It just doesn't make sense you can't like them both unless you're retarded or schizophrenic.

And anyone who claims the Texaco Cup is actually a legitimate trophy is way off the mark-it's got all the relevance of pre season tournament.Take the importance of the Ansett cup & divide by 100 & you'll get somewhere near the mark.In this country when anyone talks of Newcastle's last trophy they say Fair's Cup 1969.

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:02 am

Hey DIPPER, most people have "second teams", ie. if their favourite club is not playing they may have a soft spot for another, or if their favourite team has been knocked out. As it is in my case, plus the Chelsea and Millwall clubs both have similar mascots, fans and locality. For our footy, i also like adelaide and sydney, and would rather they beat carlton and essendon than those scum winning evry damn thing! And if people deny they have "second" teams then they are in denial.

Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 12:18 pm

As people may remember from far earlier posts, I work with a Mackem supporter. He is ridgy didge too, born and bred in Sunderland. He met and married an Aussie chick and was eventually dragged over here.

When he got here, he was resigned to following local footy, as well as any local soccer. When it came to choosing teams it was obvious who he could NOT support. The black and white team! It is an anathma to him. In the end because of their colours (and I am sure it helped they were riding high at the time in the mid 90's) he choose North Melbourne, which have his beloved Sunderland colours. He hates Collingwood with a passion. You must be the only combined Collingwood / Sunderland supporter in the league.

Now I support East Freemantle over in the west, where i was raised, and when I came back to Melbourne (where I was born) my brother and I supported Collingwood. And because of that, Port in the SANFL, developed a soft spot for Swan Districts in the WAFL, Western Suburbs in the Sydney League. In other words I follow the black and white. I like to think of it as the last baseless decision I made.

The colours in soccer always confused me. Why could not they just wear black or white shorts like sensible people? Although I knew Newcastle sometimes wore black and white, it was not until this forum started up, did I realise they where the Maggies, and that's when you all heard the thump as I jumped on board on the Newcastle Black and White Army.

GO TOONS! THUCK THE MACKEMS!  

Greg J
DIPPER 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 6:39 pm

Millane, of course people have second teams the point I'm making is that Chelsea & Millwall supporters HATE each other with a passion.I mean they are 2 of the most likely sets of supporters to have a punch up with each other, it is a mutual loathing which I can't help thinking makes it odd that you support Chelseas but have Millwall as a second choice.
I mean you support Collingwood & you say that you also like Adelaide & Sydney but if instead you said you also liked Carlton I'm sure peole would think that bit odd & I'm sure other Collingwood supporters wouldn't be too impressed.

Greg, North Melbourne play in blue/white stripes whilst Sunderland play in red/white stripes!(unless of course you're talking about North Melbourne soccer club & then I wouldn't have a clue what colours they play in)so please explain.

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
Rohan Coventry Tateson 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 8:05 pm

This may have nothing to do with the topic, but I started following Liverpool because of the Aussie influence, Craig Johnson.

My first memory of Liverpool is Craig jumping for joy after scoring a goal in a cup final.

When I was over in England I was lucky enough to catch a Liverpool Vs Arsenal game at Anfield (9Cool. It was a pretty boring match and ended up nil all.

Liverpool has a large support base in Australia because of their success in the 80's. Now Manchester United have that same flow on effect because of their success in the 90's.

I guess I am not a fanatical Liverpool supporter but I always watch their games on Foxtel. I also take an interest in Aussie players in the premier league. That’s why I was not too disheartened when Viduka scored four goals against us this year.

In Skob We Trust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: