Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why do Collingwood fans support Newcastle United?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIPPER 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 5:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mate, that's a pretty spirited defence of your club there-I have to repsect you for that even though I hate the club.
On the point of the 3rd biggest average attendance in the Premier League, that is mainly due to havinng the 3rd biggest stadium there's a few clubs that could better that if they were able to enlarge their stadiums (Leeds, Arsenal,Newcastle definitely & a few other possibles-most clubs here have sell outs for every league game) but unfortunately a lot of stadiums were built alongside houses & therefore it is impossible to enlarge them due to lack of planning permission from local government.
When I say that Sunderland are inconsequential I mean to say that they don't have it in them to be challengers for the big honours, the location is off putting to big name foreign players especially as well as English players & so they will never be a true force however much support they get.
Regarding the issue of large support there is a myth that both Newcastle & Sunderland supporters are the most passionate in England & that they turn up to watch there team regardless of how badly they're doing but this is BOLLOCKS check the attendances of both clubs during their bad days of the late 80's & early 90's & you'll see that they were nothing special.Granted taking 15,000 to Maine Road when you're relegated is pretty spectacular & ironically the only other club's supporters who would probably do the same thing are Man City's.
You have to accept though that 3 of your club's Championships were won in the 1890's when football wasn't well organised & many of today's clubs didn't exist in theor present form.Still it's pretty valid to point out that you have as many titles as Spurs, Chelsea & Leeds put together as for me these clubs are pretenders as well they've never had the achievements to back up their lofty view of themselves.
They've only ever been 3 clubs in England who have created anything like a dynasty & these are Arsenal (I have to confess here that I am a gooner), Liverpool & Man U.
Good on you for not being a glory hunter though, but when you say that you don't care if you never win the title again I don't believe you cos that's what it's all about dreaming of being the best.

Ps how come you support the Mackems

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 5:21 am

yeah, sorry dipper, I get carried away sometimes. I keep forgetting that we are all Collingwood brethren. Your comments are fair. The SoL was a purpose built ground so the capacity can be increased easier than other suburban grounds, and Sunderland's discounting of season ticket prices also helps! yeah, 3 of Sunderland's titles were won in the 1890s, but that just highlights how mediocre they've been since 1958, where they've only won 1 trophy ('73 FA Cup) and were relegated 7 times, including the humiliation of Div 3 football. But they keep bouncing back and hopefully now, they will have shed the yo-yo team tag. What I meant when I said I don't care is that, of course I'll be rapt if they win the title, but that's not the main reason why I follow the team. I don't know why I follow the Mackems; I'm not from the NE, or from England for that matter. I guess it's the character of the club, the underdog mentality and the fact that, for a long time now, they've been perennial strugglers and battlers. yet, the supporters are still very passionate about the team.

As for honours, yeah I agree that the Black Cats are a long way from challenging the top teams. But that's not to say they won't. Who would have predicted that in the 1973 FA Cup, second division Sunderland would beat a star studded Leeds United. They've basically had the same team that won promotion a few years ago. While they've done well to finish 7th in the past two years, they badly need some depth, for starters, a right sided wingman, an attacking centre half (another Don Hutchinson would be nice) and a quality striker to back up Quinny and Supa Kev. And yeah, the NE is a very tough environment to play in. However, Reidy's done well to pick up a few quality Argentinians in Arca and Mendina. Arca's just been a revelation, but Reid has had to play him out of position, on the right, because they don't have any one there at the moment.

But realistically, who can really break up the Man U dynasty? They are so far ahead of everyone in terms of money and marketing cache, that they can just go out and buy whoever they want to bolster their team. Arsenal, Liverpool or Leeds might sneak a few titles here and there, but the Manure coffers appear bottomless. Did you hear the rumour that Viera was considering leaving the Gunners and joining.....Man U!!!! that would be a tragedy considering that Viera is the backbone of the Arsenal team and has been touted as a possible future captain. I hope it's just rumours.

p.s. how about Australia beating France 1 nil??? you bewdy!

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 3:40 am

Im a Collingwood suporter, and i dont support Newcastle United.

Go Danny!
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 7:40 am

Real pies fan support a nice family club like Millwall!!!

rash 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 4:13 am

Hey junkboy

Don't worry about offending Dipper. We are not all Collingwood brethren you know. Hence his name.

hoggy Pisces

Bristle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:50 am

no no no

go the mighty hammers, west ham rule, our captain only got 9 matches for knocking over a ref when he was with sheff.wed. (paolo di canio) how good is that?

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:22 am

Newcastle what a joke...............

Go the mighty Reds!!!!!!!!!!!

APA

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2001 3:18 pm

hey london dave
I saw a most interesting documentary on millwall, which screened in Melb a few weeks ago on ABC. it showed your president (or board member?) doing a week's work experience down at the ground level...assisting in the canteen on match day, maintenance work, grounds keeping etc.. he was cypriot and wanted to rid the club of the racist and hooligan tags that it copped in the past. like I said it was a very interesting insight into what goes on at an English football club. were your fans really as bad as the chelsea headhunters in the 80s?? however, most of the shite in the show came from the away fans, when they complained about the food during the match day

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
DIPPER 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2001 3:34 pm

JB75 If I may be permitted to answer yor question, YES Millwall's hooligan element was as bad as Chlesea's perhaps even worse.They went under the names of the bushwackers & the F Squad although taking an outside view IMO the inter city firm from West Ham were the worst (or best depending on your viewpoint) of the lot with a degree of organisation & tactical planning that would have done Napoleon proud.

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:24 pm

IM A PROUD NEWCASTLE GEORDIE AND ONLY COS THERE BLACK AND WHITE AND THE MAGPIES,, IF U DONT LIKE IT..

STICK IT!!! (especially u kop scousers and sad mackem bastards!!)

(just trying to get the passion back in here its been too nice!!)
LOL
LOL
LOL

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:13 am

shite lop-sided slab that passes for a home ground, shite overpriced beer that looks like hawthorn's home shorts, and shite illegitimate twat that passes for a striker.

yeah, it's great to be a geordie..LOL

Ha'way the lads!!

"While stands the MCG, Collingwood shall stand.
When falls the MCG, Collingwood shall fall.
And when Collingwood falls -- the World."
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:22 am

18/11/2000, Lop-sided Park, Skunks 1 Sunderland 2
21/4/2001, Stadium of Light, Sunderland 1 Skunks 1
aggregate = Sunderland top dogs of north east...muhahahahaha

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 11:33 am

Collingwood cheersquad banner on 19 May 2001:

"The Magpie Name is Ours Alone"

The rest can get stuffed, i.e. Newcastle, Notts County, Port Adelaide, Glenorchy, Brunswick-Broadmeadows, Western Suburbs, and all other black and white pretenders.

Ha'way the Lads!!

Chipper_Toon 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 11:48 am

Oh dear, what have i missed out on.......

Admittedly, i support the Toon because of the similarities. I didn't, however support them until after the Keegan days. It was probably a case of "Alan Shearer" bandwagon more than anything. But since then i have become rabbard, cretinous and a yahoo, singing songs during matches at the 'G (I even tried Blaydon Races once, somebody told me to shut the **** up). I have a question: How many cup finals have the Mackems been in in the last 5 years? none. How many times has Sunderland been in Europe? What, once? If that? Which club is in Europe this season (the funniest thing ever, we finish below the mackems and still get into Europe)? Newcastle, off course.

A few more things. Newcastle United never "relocated" to St James' Park. We have been at St James since 1892 , the years when BOTH Newcastle Utd and Collingwood were established.
Newcastle have won 4 Championships (same era as Sunderland) 2 FA Cups and 1 League Cup, without mentioning the Uefa Cup in 1969. That equals more success than the mackems.

So back to your original question. Collingwood fans essentially support Newcastle because of what you said before: similarities.
Balck and White, Magpies, 1892, most passionate support in the land, and most importantly, which Grimsby and Notts County do not have: success.

Another thing. I believe that once the mackems start clinging to the bottom rungs of the table, on verge of relegation, many supporters will stop going to the Stadium of Shite (or Plight, Fright etc). Same will go if Newcastle are in the same situation. Attending League matches is soooo much more expensive than in Australia (Going to see Aust-France will cost a third of a ticket price for one game at St James'), so fans will not pay their hard earned cash to watch a crock of shit. Only success justifies ticket prices. It's just the way it is.

P.S. "The Magpies name is Ours Alone" was aimed directly at Port Adelaide. Port were claiming that they deserve "magpies" (no idea why?) so the cheer squad made them know that Collingwood will never relinquish the name.

P.P.S Not many woodsmen give a **** about Newcastle, contrary to your opinion

P.P.P.S Even less woodsmen give a **** about Sunderland

Howay the lads!

-------------------------
Pies for September!!!
Toon for Europe!!!
The future is bright....... the future is Black & White
And the the hell is Chipper????

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2001 4:38 pm

quote:
I have a question: How many cup finals have the Mackems been in in the last 5 years? none. How many times has Sunderland been in Europe? What, once? If that? Which club is in Europe this season (the funniest thing ever, we finish below the mackems and still get into Europe)? Newcastle, off course.

I'm no fan of Sunderland but if I was I would ask you when did Newcastle last win a trophy?
Also Newcastle aren't actually in Europe as such for this season they are in the Inter toto cup which is a qualifying tournament for European club football proper.(but I have to agree that it is pretty funny that you finish below Sunderland & have a chance for UEFA cup glory & they don't)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: