Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why do Collingwood fans support Newcastle United?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 7:33 am
Post subject: Why do Collingwood fans support Newcastle United?Reply with quote

I don't understand why Collingwood fans support Newcastle United, just because they wear a black and white strip and are called the Mags as well. To me, there can only be one team in the world called the Magpies, and that's Collingwood! A lot of people wouldn't have any clue about Newcastle except that they have Allan Shearer and also wear black and white. In that, they are just as bad as glory hunting Manure or Chelsea "supporters". Of course, people are entitled to support whoever they like, but reciprocal shirts is not a great reason. Why not support Notts County and Grimsby, or other Euro teams like Juventus, Partizan Belgrade, Charleroi, etc...
Do people realise Newcastle's Mackem neighbours have been top dogs in the NE for 2 seasons now? It burns me to see people wearing Skunk shirts at Collingwood games at the 'G.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll accept any criticisms, but I just want to know why Collingwood fans in Aust support Newcastle just because of the similarity in kit. It's not like we have a "sister club" relationship with the Skunks. As every Coventry fan in the UK can attest, the Newcastle fans, particularly the away ones, are a bunch of morons.

rash 

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 12:03 pm

junkboy75. If you enjoy your sport and want to follow a team in different sports and don't have a connection to any of them, I think following a team that are called the Magpies and wear the black and white is as good a reason as any. I have supported Liverpool since I was seven years old and jumped on the bandwagon because they were successful. I have followed them through the barren nineties and love them as much as I do Collingwood. I may have jumped on the bandwagon 25 years ago but have stuck with them. That is my reason for supporting Liverpool which is probably no better than jumping on a team because of there name and colours.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 1:06 pm

yeah, I guess it's OK if you jump on the bandwagon but that you stick with your team through thick and thin. (I wonder how many Leeds fans we will be seeing for the next season) also, I concede that people buy soccer shirts to be fashionable. what I can't stand are those glory hunting "fans" that really irritate me. Cases in point: Manure "supporters" who crap on and on about doing the treble. I did not see many of them packed into the Charles Dickens for FA Cup night, there were mostly Mag supporters. Blackburn supporters - where are they since Rovers were relegated, and do they realise that they're back? Skunk fans who jumped on board during the Keegan bandwagon era, etc... I would have thought that Collingwood would have more in common with the Pool; both formed in the same year, both from working class backgrounds, both exciting teams. How many passive Newcastle fans will there be when they get relegated to Div 1, which is imminent given the age of Shearer and the duds that they continue to buy...ferguson, cort..etc even their keeper is an ex-Mackem.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 1:14 pm

yeah, I guess it's OK if you jump on the bandwagon but that you stick with your team through thick and thin. (I wonder how many Leeds fans we will be seeing for the next season) also, I concede that people buy soccer shirts to be fashionable. what I can't stand are those glory hunting "fans" that really irritate me. Cases in point: Manure "supporters" who crap on and on about doing the treble. I did not see many of them packed into the Charles Dickens for FA Cup night, there were mostly Mag supporters. Blackburn supporters - where are they since Rovers were relegated, and do they realise that they're back? Skunk fans who jumped on board during the Keegan bandwagon era, etc... I would have thought that Collingwood would have more in common with the Pool; both formed in the same year, both from working class backgrounds, both exciting teams. How many passive Newcastle fans will there be when they get relegated to Div 1, which is imminent given the age of Shearer and the duds that they continue to buy...ferguson, cort..etc even their keeper is an ex-Mackem.

rash 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 4:40 am

Yeah I know what you mean about glory hunting fans. There are so many wankers that walk around with Scumchester shirts on that wouldn't know the first thing about them or even the game. Ask them how off side works and see what response you get. So who do you support?

By the way, get ready to feel the wrath of Joffa if he comes into this forum. He is a Newcastle supporter and is quite a scary individual.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:30 am

I'm a supporter of the mighty Sunderland, which explains my hatred of the Skunks and those other "North East" pretenders from Monster Smog City, Boro. The rivalries are as intense as Carlton and C'wood, if not more. Sunderland also have a lot in common with Collingwood. Both teams used to be the most powerful in the land, both have fallen on hard times recently, both recently left their traditional grounds to play in new surroundings (SoL, which is better than St Jame's, which is lopsided), both had new coaches who should be considered saviours, and both teams are rebuilding for success without necessary splashing out on big name stars. The supporters are also as passionate as each other. In '98, Sunderland drew a crowd of 40,000 people to a Div 2 game against Reading (!) on a Tuesday. Only one other club can instill such passion and that's C'wood, who were drawing those crowds in their wooden spoon year. Also, I'll never be accused of glory hunting because I've stuck with Sunderland even though they've only won one trophy in 60 years and was relegated 7 times in that period. Ha'way the Lads!!!

rash 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:56 am

junkboy75. Why Are Sunderland supporters called mackems and Newcastle called gordies? I know scouser comes from a type of stew (called scouse of course) that people used to make in Liverpool. All my family come from Sheffield and as far as I know they don't have a nick name. Could be called the 'eckythumps' I suppose if you remember that Goodies episode.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:31 am

One story has it that the term Geordies originated from the civil war a few centuries ago when Newcastle supported King George while the rest of the country didn't (including Sunderland). The town name derived from the fact that it was literally a New Castle; a fortress on the Tyne that was inaccessible to all non-loyalist supporters. But there are many variations to the origin of the word Geordie!

According to the Virtual Sunderland site, "Mackem" comes from the term "Mak'em and Tak'em". One story states that during World War 2 shipyard workers from Wearside were asked to help out building ships on the Tyne (Newcastle), probably due to their vast experience in the shipbuilding trade. This was not well met by the local Geordies who viewed it as taking work away from local people, thus the Wearside workers were making the ships and taking away jobs from Tyneside folk - "Mak'em and Tak'em". Thus the term "Mackem" was born and used to insult Wearside shipyard workers.

Another story simply states that it's because local dialect often shortens words and thus once again the term "Mak'em and Tak'em" meaning they make up words and take letters away from other words. Either way the term "Mackem" is certainly not insulting.

rash 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:52 am

Thanks for those explanations junkboy75. You should be an English history teacher.

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 7:17 am

what can I say - I'm an anglophile! but, it's interesting to note that the fierce rivalry goes back a long time, and is not restricted to soccer.

BTW, which 3 soccer teams have rude words in their names?
S****horpe, Arsenal and Newcastle F**king United

Ha'way the Lads!

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:04 am

Piss on Newcastle...
GO LEEDS

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:47 am

for all you try hard Geordies or Skunk fans, here's an amusing English to Geordie translator. Just enter your message in English, and it will come out in the Geordie dialect.
http://www.geordie.org.uk/

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:09 pm

Hey Junkboy I must confess to having a deep rooted hatred of Sunderland-to me they are the biggest wankers in football outside of Tottenham & Man U so I'm obviously biased but your statement

quote:
Sunderland also have a lot in common with Collingwood. Both teams used to be the most powerful in the land, both have fallen on hard times recently, both recently left their traditional grounds to play in new surroundings

just plain made me laugh.Sunderland had a period for a couple of years when they could have argued a case for being the most powerful club in the land (although it is highly debatable) but they didn't create any sort of dynasty like Collingwood did.How many Championships have Sunderland won?They're nothing over here, an absoulutely inconsequentail club who will NEVER win the title again.

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:49 pm

when Sunderland first entered the FA, they stayed in the top flight for 68 years (1890-1958), a record that has only been bettered by Arsenal. During this time, they won 6 titles and 1 FA Cup. That's as many Div 1 titles as Tottenham (2), Leeds (3) and Chelsea (1) put together, and is 2 more titles than the Skunks. Granted, that is not as good as Collingwood's 13 flags in the same period, or Liverpool or Manure's "dynasties", but for a time there, Sunderland were a power in the league. Sunderland's record 13 consecutive wins has only ever been bettered by Manure (14).

Insignificant? yeah, I guess an average home attendance of 46,790, third in the Premiership behind Manure and the Skunks, is pretty insignificant. I guess the Stadium of Light, which last year was voted the best ground in Great Britain, is pretty insignificant.

Collingwood have more parallels with Sunderland than they do with Newcastle, guerseys not withstanding. Both clubs were very successful early on, less successful (in terms of titles) afterwards. Both have huge support even in times of adversity - which club in the UK would take over 15,000 supporters to an away game at Man City to watch their team GET RELEGATED??

Maybe they'll never ever win the title again. DO YOU THINK I CARE?? if I'm a glory hunting supporter, looking for those glory glory nights, I would follow Manure or Chelsea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: