Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Remaining free agents (November 2016)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
Looks like we're interested in Will Minson.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2016/11/will-minson-spotted-at-collingwood-hq/

FMD, no brainer. Do it Pies.

Not only is he ready made to come in if Grundy gets injured, he'll put pressure on Grundy to keep his form up in the AFL. Yes yes yes.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:50 pm
Post subject: Re: Remaining free agents (October 2016)Reply with quote

When we think about need, I suppose we'd be looking at players to cover depth issues. I think our best 22 looks fairly good on paper.

So where are our depth issues?

Ruck depth. Grundy is our clear #1. But we need someone to come in in case of injury/rest. The rookie draft would probably be the way to go here.

* Shaun McKernan. At 26, would fit in ok. But he isn't what I'd call a pure ruckman. But he would provide great relief when needed. He can also cover depth issues in the forward line, and unless the unthinkable happened, I wouldn't expect to see more than 4 games in 2017. He is expected to be rookie drafted by Essendon.

* Will Minson. He is 31, but he is a pure ruckman. Does he go straight to #2 in the pecking order? I never liked him, so it makes my view a bit tainted. I guess he'd be a "break glass in case of emergency" player, so we'd be, again, looking at 4-6 games next year? (Also linked to WCE).

* Within our own list. After Grundy, is this the pecking order? Cox-White-Keeffe? Can all these guys provide relief in the middle? Hmmm, I think we need to find another just in case.

Backline depth. We've offset the loss of Brown with Dunn. But what about Frost and Marsh?

*Alex Silvagni. At 29, I dont know how well he fits into Collingwoods set up. And he has had a shocking run with leg injuries. His late season form will probably see him get another chance somewhere. I guess he could be brought in just to keep the seat warm, but there could be a better option.

*Jack Grimes. I've been the only one here to bring him up. So I'm starting to think there's something wrong with him. He is a former captain and he is still only 27. Does he have 2 or 3 good years left in him? He dominated the VFL, but I'm unsure why he wasn't getting a senior gig at Melb? Rivers and Dunn might have something to say here, but I thought he'd be thereabouts?

*Ryan Pendlebury. Now 24, could he be a smoky to fill a position on our list? He would already have some rapport around the club, but is he built for AFL football?

*Xavier Richards. Is he considered more than just a depth player? Would he slot straight into our best 22? At 23, he certainly looks like a great fit, but are we getting carried away just because he played in the last GF? I want to know how good he really is.

*Angus Litherland. 24, 192cm, quick, and has a thumping left foot. A standout in the VFL, I think he is a much better version of Marsh.

*Cam O'Shea. At 24, he fits the age bracket. He is more of a utility, so I guess you could say he is a younger Goldsack. Fell out at Port, so thats a worry.

*Within our own list. Keeffe. Simple. IMO, he is straight in and an upgrade for Frost. And of course Adam Oxley wasn't used much last year, and I've had some big expectations on him. And don't forget about Tyson Goldsack.

Forward line depth. I think this is our strongest position as far as depth goes. We've brought in Mayne, WHE and Wells and with Elliott returning, I think the only offset is replacing Cloke (or finding a FF).

*Mitch Clark. Its a yeah-nar from me, but he is someone that is (was) a good contested mark and goal kicker. His off field problems would feel magnified at Collingwood. 29 years old now, and little AFL games since 2011.

*Josh Green. 24 year old small forward. I'm nor overly proud to say this, but I know people in the know at Brisbane, and they are happy to see the back of him. Still, he has a goal kicking tallant than cant be ignored. Where does he fit with Fasolo-Elliott-Blair? Expect him to be at Essendon tho.

We'll obviously know more after the draft, as this may all change depending on who we take.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:57 pm

Richards is 195 cm, can play forward or back

Minson is the back up ruck we need, been saying it for 18 months

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm happy enough with Minson as a back-up.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:33 pm

Its settled then.

Lets get Minson. But are we going to sign him as a F.A? Or rookie draft him?

Forget I ever mentioned Shaun McKernan.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Delisted Free Agency would be easier. Rookie draft would be cheaper.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:42 pm

I say rookie draft then. Runs the risk of someone else taking him, but if we have a backup to our backup then its ok.

If we sign a F.A. it needs to be Richards or Litherland I think.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:09 am

MagpieBat wrote:
Delisted Free Agency would be easier. Rookie draft would be cheaper.
You would think the club would offer Minson the same deals as Maric. Anything less would be an insult and I rate Minson well ahead of Maric. Shocked
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Ideally, I'd be happen with signing Richards and Minson.

Whether we get both, or one or the other remains to be seen.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:12 am

Jezza wrote:
Ideally, I'd be happy with signing Richards and Minson.

Whether we get both, or one or the other remains to be seen.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to get Litherland and Richards. Yep. Both of them.

I've gone off O'Shea for whatever reason. I guess I just prefer these two over him.

Then I'd love to hit the rookie draft with the possibility of Grimes or Silvagni or R.Pendlebury?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:29 pm

Richards is training with Essendon, so it's likely he'll sign with them.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:40 am

This Minson thing might actually have some legs to it...

Quote:
Collingwood considering drafting veteran big man Will Minson to help mentor young rucks

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
November 14, 2016 9:14pm

COLLINGWOOD is considering drafting veteran Will Minson to help mentor its young ruckmen.

The Magpies met the former Western Bulldog at club headquarters last week and are likely to offer him a place on the rookie list.

After trading Jarrod Witts, the Pies want to reinforce their big man stocks and like the idea of Minson, 31, helping Brodie Grundy and Mason Cox develop.

Minson’s manager, Nigel Carmody, confirmed the club’s interest but said neither party had made a commitment.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-considering-drafting-veteran-big-man-will-minson-to-help-mentor-young-rucks/news-story/8167b4672aa63596ec27a83b286edec9

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:48 am

Jezza wrote:
Richards is training with Essendon, so it's likely he'll sign with them.

Thats been my gut feeling all along. And now that he's training there, it pretty much indicates he's going to sign there.

We should target Litherland now.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:51 am

MagpieBat wrote:
This Minson thing might actually have some legs to it...

Also happy to rookie list a mature ruck man. Solves our ruck depth problem for at least one season.

Cant wait to see our final list.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:29 pm

As expected Green has signed on with Essendon for 1 year. They've finally found their replacement for Leroy Jetta. Razz

X Richards expected to be signed for 2 by Essendon. Don't know how to feel about that one.

I'm still keen on Angus Litherland as I think he's an upgrade on Marsh.

And as stated in other threads (and this one) Will Minson is expected to be rookie drafted by Collingwood. I wonder if we'll look to Rookie list any other discarded players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: