Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Old Firm in Premier League?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 10:37 am
Post subject: Old Firm in Premier League?Reply with quote

what do people think about celtic and rangers' bid to be in the premier league by 2004/2005?

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
DIPPER 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It should NEVER, NEVER happen not in a million years.This is the ENGLISH premier league & we don't want a bunch of jocks to be part of it.Politically Scotland is moving away from England with their own parliament & strong support for an independant Scotland so why should they join our football competition?I doubt UEFA would allow it unless of course England & Scotland played international games as a joint British team which of course the fans of both countries wouldn't want especially the Scottish ones.
I can't see what the English clubs would gain from this, the EPL is already the biggest earning football League in the world with more countries taking the TV coverage than for any other league.If Rangers & Celtic joined they would become the 2nd & 3rd biggest clubs in Britain behind Man U & would arguably be bigger than Man U in Britain with only Man U's foreign support keeping them as the biggest club in Britain.Celtic would be able to draw even more on their huge Irish support whilst Rangers would effectively become the Scottish side for all the bandwagoners in Scotland who don't live in Glasgow.
Both clubs would be able to outbid the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool,Leeds & Chelsea for players-why help them to get bigger & make our own clubs suffer it doesn't make sense.
Also it would kill Scottish club football which has been there for Rangers/Celtic all these years.My grandad was from Dundee & I've always followed his club Dundee Utd & it would make the whole competition up there a joke with clubs like this becoming semi professional outfits at best.
I say piss off Rangers & Celtic we don't want you down here & we never will.(especially Celtic)

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
Millane42 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:04 am

i say bring it on, because it is boring how every year it is either rangers or celtic winning the comp in scotland. give them some decent competition and let them join, then we'll see how good they really are versus man utd.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 4:53 am

Bring em to st james park we'll show the bastards.

DONT BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT...sean connery...the untouchables !!...DARREN MILLANE SIMPLY THE BEST...BETTER THAN ALL THE REST #42..GO OUR GLORIOUS BLACK AND WHITE MAGPIES FOR EVER UNTIL DEATH!!

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 10:53 am

I tend to agree with dipper. celtic and rangers should remain in the scottish premier league. if they join the english premier league, it would mean the end of the scottish competition. it would also further inflate the prices of players in england as the old firm starts a bidding war for top signings.

if they want to play the best in england and europe, they need only qualify for the champions league.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
Fletch 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:47 pm

Dip : Welsh clubs play in English leagues so why not Scottish teams?

Secondly why do you hate Celtic so much?

Personally I think it would be great to have the Old Firm mixing it up in the PL and the only thing embarassing about the SPL is the way these two dominate it year in year out.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' Legendary Liverpool Manager, the great Bill Shankly.

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 6:48 pm

quote:
Bring em to st james park we'll show the bastards

LOL Joffa!that's just the sort of attitude I repsect.

Fletch,
there aren't enough Welsh clubs to provide a competitive league & so it's fair enough they play in England but Rangers & Celtic would become huge sucking the blood of the English game & it would break my heart to see the Championship trophy abducted to Jocko land.
My hatred of Celtic in particular comes from seeing a bunch of them on the tube in London once & it wasn't a pretty sight, they were undoubtably the scum of the earth.Added to that the political beliefs of a lot of their supporters reagarding England, Ireland & terrorism & they don't get on my Christmas card list.

Fletch 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:50 am

A touch unfair Dip, every club has its fair share of nutcase supporters.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' Legendary Liverpool Manager, the great Bill Shankly.

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 4:14 pm

Undoubtably unfair Fletch but then what reason ever are fair for hating certain sports clubs?
Is it unfair of me to hate Tottenham just because I support Arsenal?Probably,but I still do-more & more evry day-LOL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: