Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matrix10 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ23 wrote:
matrix10 wrote:
IN
Mayne- paid overs and gave too long
Wells- 2 years would've been preferred- 3 makes it a loss (be very happy to be proven wrong)
Dunn- no worse than Brown
WHE- good deal

OUT
Marley- sad but had to boot him
Brown- Dunn nullifies loss
Witts- we lost here
Frost- even

so in my estimations we've ended up about even.
All dependent on Wells body holding up- 15 games a year would make it a win and Mayne playing 4 years of football deserving of his wage.

WHE getting fit and firing could make this trade period exceptional

I don't see the overs for Mayne or Wells in dollars or length of deal. We'd have a bit in the cap available this year with Cloke and Swan off the list, I suspect we will front end both so they are not costing much in their final year/years.

This means only a spot on the list that if their form didn't warrant a senior game they'd at least provide leadership and coaching.

Fair point re: front ending contracts- I understand that the length of deals helps get them over the line- I would prefer both had a year less, with option of another dependent on form.

Wells is worth paying $600k a year 2 years - assuming he gets on the park for 15 games per year- 3rd might be added to lock into coaching- but at significantly reduced salary.
daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:57 pm
Post subject: Re: Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:

I'm also hoping that seeing Marley Williams having to beg other clubs to take him, and him having to take a pay cut to get to North, will prove a great wake up call to Jordan De Goey. This kid has enormous talent, but if the rumors are true, he lost some focus in 2016 and spent way too much time on the party/nightclub circuit instead of in the gym. I think our club's decision not to offer Williams a contract was done, in part, to serve as a lesson to the youngsters on our list. Don't take your position at Collingwood for granted. Hopefully it works.

This is the only worrying post in the whole thread to me. As a club we have to help the young future stars work out their life balance. There is such a good young group, the sky is the limit. Re-watching the final 2 minutes of our 3 point loss to the Doggies showed the amazing potential of this group. Hope Jordan has a cracker of a 2017.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:01 am

I was a little surprised to see the AFL site's trade period review assess our trade/free agent dealings as a D+ overall. That to me reflects a limited understanding of what's being done in a trade period. Collingwood moved on players that, with the possible exception of Brown, the Club did not have pencilled in as members of its best 22 and moved in players that are pencilled in. Criticism that we "moved out 4 KPPs" might be valid if the 4 were Cloke, Dawes, Reid and Brown circa 2010 when they were all "best 22" but Frost, Cloke and Witts weren't playing regularly and, barring mishaps, only Brown might have next season.

We might disagree here or there with the Club's appraisal of the value of a particular player but if we accept that the Club has made that appraisal, then the moves were, taken together, a very substantial net improvement in line with the Club's intentions for 2017.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:55 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I was a little surprised to see the AFL site's trade period review assess our trade/free agent dealings as a D+ overall. That to me reflects a limited understanding of what's being done in a trade period. Collingwood moved on players that, with the possible exception of Brown, the Club did not have pencilled in as members of its best 22 and moved in players that are pencilled in. Criticism that we "moved out 4 KPPs" might be valid if the 4 were Cloke, Dawes, Reid and Brown circa 2010 when they were all "best 22" but Frost, Cloke and Witts weren't playing regularly and, barring mishaps, only Brown might have next season.

We might disagree here or there with the Club's appraisal of the value of a particular player but if we accept that the Club has made that appraisal, then the moves were, taken together, a very substantial net improvement in line with the Club's intentions for 2017.
The AFL's video I watched had us at a B- which I agree with. Many posters are emotional and struggle to accept that once what was a good player and servant is no longer seen that way. This is a professional sport and hard calls whether they are right or wrong will always be made.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:12 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

We're going against the grain here. Other clubs are moving KPP's onto their lists, while we're doing the opposite, namely moving KPP's out. This is a reflection of a draft pool in this year's national draft, which is a little lean on KPP's.

Who knows who is right on the strategy we are deploying? Could be a bit of fools gold going on here, not just WB taking on Cloke, but Geelong taking on Aaron Black. Clubs can talk up these players, but neither was any good at AFL this year, so what can you expect out of them next year. I've heard it all before with Malthouse being called a genius. Now I'm hearing the same things said about Beveridge. If Cloke gets back to his 2013 form next year Beveridge truly is a genius, or Buckley is a dud coach. List management isn't a balancing act between having so many mids and so many KPP's. It's about fielding a side where all players are capable of playing at AFL level.

The footy experts like Buckenarra are only expressing a view that because of our thin stocks of KPP's we will struggle next year. As others have pointed out here, it didn't affect the performances of both Sydney and WB who didn't field particularly tall sides in the GF. I don't know whether this a trend in AFL footy, where fast moving, zoning and close checking negates the influence of the slower moving, heavier KPP's such as Cloke. We'll find the answer to this $64 question next year, where, if we make finals, everybody will be calling Buckley a genius and Beveridge will be last year's hero.
mike2010 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:14 am

thompsoc wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
melliot wrote:
Meh.

I think it was average at best. But probably lower than I hoped. If Cloke = 76. Then most our remaining list = an average pick 60. Which is a blight on our list management team.

I think our list management stratagy is lost.

I think our list has gone backwards in 2017. I think we'll be around the 8 wins again. Only hope will be that injuries are significantly reduced and some of our existing low pick blossom.

But Hine our list manager is a genius.
I have read that for years and years and years.

Tbh I havn't read it anywhere except in your posts.

I give the trade period a pass at 6.5 - 7 / 10

We came to the table with very little to play with and came out ever so slightly ahead.

A win is a win even if it won't turn us into a premiership team it's a step in the right direction.

Some of you guys really need to find some happiness in life.

We have a lot of "glass half empty fans" on this site (not yourself). Picture this scenario 18 months ago and ask yourself if you would take the following:

Pies decide to recruit from other clubs:

* Varcoe
* Crisp
* Greenwood
* Treloar
* Aish
* Howe
* Hoskin Elliott

Pies draft in:

* Moore
* DeGoey
* Maynard
* Ben Crocker
* Tom Phillips

Pies take chance on a Yank:

* Mason Cox

Pies take speculative chances on:

* Josh Smith
* Rupert Wills

Pies can welcome back in "virtual new recruits":

* Matt Scharenberg
* Tim Broomhead
* Jamie Elliott
* Tom Langdon
* Lachlan Keefe
* Josh Thomas

Pies secure Father/Sons:

* Josh Daicos
* Callum Brown

Pies shall secure good 2016 Draft picks:

* pick 28
* pick 44

So sorry sacks, happy the f.ck up! Smile

Here we go
Which players did well or looked exciting in 2016 from your list?
Moore and Treloar and no one else.
This is what I get time and time again.
Daicos and Brown have done nothing
Pick 28 and 44 aren't great picks
Sick to death of the over rating of our players
and the criticism if you question how good the list is.

Howe, Crisp, Greenwod and Smith all finished top 10 in the Copeland so you would have to say they did well in 2016.

Cox debuted and kicked 2 goals on ANZAC day -- pretty exciting for a guy who has played footy for one year.

Wills and Phillips both played games late and looked very comfortable at the level. Both have a lot of improvement left.

Original post didn't even mention Wells and Mayne, who address keys needs for us and were both top 6 at their respective clubs.

Look on the bright side! Whilst we still need some key position cover, overall I'd say we have done very well.

I for one like the direction we are taking, clearing out players who are poor kicks and bringing in more pace and skill.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:24 am

thompsoc wrote:

Yes the old esky issue.
You look at it and it stares back at you.
There is always that whisper ...drink me ...just drink me!
That reminds me of the good old days.
Where my mates got in early to the Grand final match.
So they could set up their eskies and bbq in the standing area.
They still talk about how the crowd almost wept when the smell
of cooked snags, steak and onions drifted over them.
All washed down with an endless supply of cheap beer.
From the eskies!
Those were the days!

Poetry 😂

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:55 am

Live chat with recruiter Gary Buckenara after end of 2016 trade and free agency period
October 21, 2016 2:11pm
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-with-recruiter-gary-buckenara-after-end-of-2016-trade-and-free-agency-period/news-story/2cd609f3aff57dc30d36a4bacec9fa9a

Buckenara also said Collingwood has “gone backwards” following the departures of key talls Travis Cloke, Nathan Brown and Jack Frost during the trade period according to list guru Gary Buckenara.

The Pies were one of the most active players in the trade and free agency period, with four players coming in — Daniel Wells, Chris Mayne, Lynden Dunn and Will Hoskin-Elliott — and five out — Cloke, Brown, Frost, Jarrod Witts and Marley Williams.

But the additions have done little to address Nathan Buckley’s team’s biggest need — key position players.

“With this one I think you can refer to my list analysis on Collingwood, the priority was for them to get more key position players and outside speed and it seems Daniel Wells is the speed, Lynden Dunn is hardly a true key position player and at the end of his career, Chris Mayne is not quick, plays high half forward and needs to improve below his knees as he is a marking player only. Will Hoskin-Elliott is a good player,” Buckenara said.

“(But) given what’s left Collingwood, I’m not sure the list has improved. If anything gone backwards as key position depth is going to be a real problem.”

Defender Jonathon Marsh’s future is also up in the air, with the contracted Magpie requesting to return home to Western Australia for personal reasons but no trade eventuated.

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:49 am

stoliboy wrote:
Live chat with recruiter Gary Buckenara after end of 2016 trade and free agency period
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/live-chat-with-recruiter-gary-buckenara-after-end-of-2016-trade-and-free-agency-period/news-story/2cd609f3aff57dc30d36a4bacec9fa9a

Buckenara also said Collingwood has “gone backwards” following the departures of key talls Travis Cloke, Nathan Brown and Jack Frost during the trade period according to list guru Gary Buckenara.

The Pies were one of the most active players in the trade and free agency period, with four players coming in — Daniel Wells, Chris Mayne, Lynden Dunn and Will Hoskin-Elliott — and five out — Cloke, Brown, Frost, Jarrod Witts and Marley Williams.

But the additions have done little to address Nathan Buckley’s team’s biggest need — key position players.

“With this one I think you can refer to my list analysis on Collingwood, the priority was for them to get more key position players and outside speed and it seems Daniel Wells is the speed, Lynden Dunn is hardly a true key position player and at the end of his career, Chris Mayne is not quick, plays high half forward and needs to improve below his knees as he is a marking player only. Will Hoskin-Elliott is a good player,” Buckenara said.

“(But) given what’s left Collingwood, I’m not sure the list has improved. If anything gone backwards as key position depth is going to be a real problem.”

Defender Jonathon Marsh’s future is also up in the air, with the contracted Magpie requesting to return home to Western Australia for personal reasons but no trade eventuated.

This is the same guy that said Treloar was a B grade player, Adams and Treloar were similar players and Broomhead was a bad kick.

I would take what he says with a grain of salt. I would suggest that he looks at the number of key position players of the two 2016 grand finalists. They both did not have too many, which I would suggest didn't hurt them a great deal seeing they made the GF.

The modern AFL trend is towards mobile key position players, even if they are a little bit undersized, so we are clearly going down that path, which for mine is the correct decision.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:52 am

Buckennara is both right, and wrong.

Yes, we failed to address our lack of KPP quality and depth, so in that area we didn't come through. But realistically it was going to be very hard to get any KPP's given the currency we had to trade.

Where he's wrong is the other ins.

Mayne, Wells and Dunn walk in as best 22 players. Sorry but they do. So we've actually traded out several players who weren't best 22 (at the end of the 2016 season) for three players who will be in our selected squad for round 1 if fit.

Hoskin-Elliott is the wild card here, he could turn this whole trade period from "meh" to "wowser".

If he stays fit, and that's a massive if, he has the ability to be a match winning forward flanker.

Realistically though it's always hard assessing a trade period the day or two after it's finished because no one really knows how good a trade period has actually been until a few years later.

We did ok with the currency we had to trade, nothing more, nothing less.

I reckon a B- or C+ grade would be fair, a "meh" grade.

It definitely wasn't a club changing trade period, I'd expect next year's to be more like that.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Asking Buckenara is, I think, just an example of the confusion that can arise in evaluating someone else's trading. I don't doubt Buckenara's expertise but he's, in essence, expressing the view that he would have had different priorities if he was in charge of the Foitball Department at Collingwood. That's fair enough - and nothing he's said is rocket science: we all know that Collingwood has moved out more big men than have come in. Some of us are dubious about that but, if one evaluates what the Club has achieved against that which it set out to achieve, it appears that everything we wanted (in and out), we got (save, possibly, for losing Brown). If one starts from the proposition that we needed to trade in Josh Kennedy or Jeremy Cameron, we obviously failed - but if one looks at this year's targets and last year's, we seem to have got everyone we wanted.

I'm not being overly-positive in looking at it this way, I don't think. If it had been left to me, I'd have kept Brown, traded out White, got an actual KPF to replace him, kept Witts and left Mayne in WA. But that's just my opinion and the question whether we made all the correct decisions on particular players is best assessed by reference to how they perform on the park next season.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 pm

stoliboy wrote:

Considering bloody Buckenara was the absolute worst coach in the history of the Sydney swans, a total dud, I take what he says re us with a grain of salt, the players gone were never taking us forward, they retired bar Cloke. Williams was a terrible kick, frost lost all form, and brown has not played a decent game in two seasons. Hoskin Elliott is a gem, Wells is very good, Mayne I'm sure will love a new club and a new chance, Dunn would have to be better than frost, plus we will get daicos and browns kids.

Buckenara is a total flog, like his gravel voiced buddy, Wallace. Rolling Eyes Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Asking Buckenara is, I think, just an example of the confusion that can arise in evaluating someone else's trading. I don't doubt Buckenara's expertise but he's, in essence, expressing the view that he would have had different priorities if he was in charge of the Foitball Department at Collingwood. That's fair enough - and nothing he's said is rocket science: we all know that Collingwood has moved out more big men than have come in. Some of us are dubious about that but, if one evaluates what the Club has achieved against that which it set out to achieve, it appears that everything we wanted (in and out), we got (save, possibly, for losing Brown). If one starts from the proposition that we needed to trade in Josh Kennedy or Jeremy Cameron, we obviously failed - but if one looks at this year's targets and last year's, we seem to have got everyone we wanted.

I'm not being overly-positive in looking at it this way, I don't think. If it had been left to me, I'd have kept Brown, traded out White, got an actual KPF to replace him, kept Witts and left Mayne in WA. But that's just my opinion and the question whether we made all the correct decisions on particular players is best assessed by reference to how they perform on the park next season.

Agree with the majority of what you have written, especially re Buckenara. However, White will offer us much more than Brown, he is mobile, agile, quick and uses the ball well. Brown has none of these attributes and for mine the club is far better off not having him on our list.
Witts - I am in two minds re him, in some ways I would have liked to keep him as a backup for Grundy and he has potential. But, on the other hand if we use the pick 44 that we received for him on Callum Brown, then it is a win.
Mayne: I am surprised so many underrate him. He is a very good player.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:18 pm

PnC, they didn't "retire bar Cloke". Frost, Brown, Williams, Cloke and Witts all got new jobs. It's difficult enough to discuss these issues without denying the obvious.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:22 pm

mooretreloar wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Agree with the majority of what you have written, especially re Buckenara. However, White will offer us much more than Brown, he is mobile, agile, quick and uses the ball well. Brown has none of these attributes and for mine the club is far better off not having him on our list.
Witts - I am in two minds re him, in some ways I would have liked to keep him as a backup for Grundy and he has potential. But, on the other hand if we use the pick 44 that we received for him on Callum Brown, then it is a win.
Mayne: I am surprised so many underrate him. He is a very good player.

Those views are fair enough, too - I didn't mean to derail this with a discussion about the merits of the calls on individual players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12   

Jump to: