Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:01 pm
Post subject: Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?Reply with quote

Putting aside the swaps of current and future picks, based purely on the players in and out, how did we go?

Out: Cloke, Brown, Williams, Frost, Witts

In: Wells, Mayne, Hoskin-Elliott, Dunn

Regarding the outs, we haven't lost much as probably only Brown would have been a regular senior member of our team. Frost, Williams, Witts and Cloke would have been playing predominantly in the VFL had they remained on our list next season.

As for our ins, it all depends on whether WHE can deliver on his great promise. If he can find and build on the form he showed a couple of years ago, then we will finish well and truly ahead on these deals. Wells should be great, but at his age, we will probably only get 2 good seasons from him and Mayne is a reasonable, but not great player. As for Dunn, my hope is that he has been recruited purely as insurance for injuries to Keeffe or Reid.

Overall, I rate our trading at 7/10.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what we have done.

We have thrown out some dead wood and topped up both short term and long term without selling our soul.

It would be have been great to land Marchbank or Tomlinson but it would have cost us an arm and a leg. Im just as happy to use our selections at the draft.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:08 pm

This trade period was all about attaining experience to offset the losses of Swan, Cloke, Macaffer, Brown and Toovey.

Not overly excited, but I'm content with our all inclusions and just want to see how we will shape up next year.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:12 pm
Post subject: Re: Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Putting aside the swaps of current and future picks, based purely on the players in and out, how did we go?

Regarding the outs, we haven't lost much as probably only Brown would have been a regular senior member of our team. Frost, Williams, Witts and Cloke would have been playing predominantly in the VFL had they remained on our list next season.

As for our ins, it all depends on whether WHE can deliver on his great promise. If he can find and build on the form he showed a couple of years ago, then we will finish well and truly ahead on these deals. Wells should be great, but at his age, we will probably only get 2 good seasons from him and Mayne is a reasonable, but not great player. As for Dunn, my hope is that he has been recruited purely as insurance for injuries to Keeffe or Reid.

Out:Witts - probably got what he was worth

Last edited by 5 from the wing on debut on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
MightyMagpie 

Looking at young talent we have brought in last year and this year we have done okay I think:

Treloar (former priority pick)
Aish (former first rounder)
Sier (? on him right now)
Phillips
Wills
Crocker

Hoskin Elliott (former pick #4)
Pick 28 - should get a quality midfielder
Pick 44
Pick 51
Pick 62
Pick 65

Picks 44-65 should secure Brown and Daicos with the possibility of another draftee at 44 depending on when they get bid upon.

We go to the 2017 draft without a 2nd, but with a (hopefully!) upgraded 3rd.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Boogie Knights 

As has been stated in other threads, it appears there has been a definite direction re. poor disposal as all of the outs are below average in this regard.

WHE is arguably the second best talent to change teams (behind O'Meara) - especially when factoring in age. Let's hope he isn't just (wasted) talent and can have some application too... Wouldn't be surprised to see him roll through the midfield at times.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:14 pm

The inclusion of Hoskin-Elliott is the one that excites me most. Huge upside if he can stay fit.
Tubewayarmy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:17 pm

If he can get back his fitness, strength and play like he did earlier, especially on the MCG, he could be the next BIG story!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:18 pm

Rudey, it looks well measured on paper.
However, the proof will be in the pudding by the first 4 weeks of 2017 i'd suggest.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:19 pm

6/10
If we landed Rockliff then 9/10
We should have kept Marley.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm

We did better than what Terry Wallace said on Trade Radio - he gave us a D- from memory. Twit!!!
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

For mine, we moved on five players that aren't in our best 22 and all would have played predominantly VFL, including Brown, in 2017.

We replaced them with 3 best 22 players in 2017 in Wells, Mayne and WHE. Dunn will be a handy back up and is an improvement on Brown and Frost.

There is a very slight chance Witts may come back to bite us, as ruckmen generally mature later. But, I think Dekka will either pick a ruckman late in the draft or pick up a mature age ruckman in the rookie draft, as backup.

Losing Brown, Frost and Williams will also improve our on-field skill level and decision making, which is also a win.

I give this trade period 8 out 10
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:27 pm

winpies wrote:
We did better than what Terry Wallace said on Trade Radio - he gave us a D- from memory. Twit!!!

Everything this twat says make me wanna SPEW UP!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 pm

mooretreloar wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

For mine, we moved on five players that aren't in our best 22 and all would have played predominantly VFL, including Brown, in 2017.

We replaced them with 3 best 22 players in 2017 in Wells, Mayne and WHE. Dunn will be a handy back up and is an improvement on Brown and Frost.

There is a very slight chance Witts may come back to bite us, as ruckmen generally mature later. But, I think Dekka will either pick a ruckman late in the draft or pick up a mature age ruckman in the rookie draft, as backup.

Losing Brown, Frost and Williams will also improve our on-field skill level and decision making, which is also a win.

I give this trade period 8 out 10

I'm also hoping that seeing Marley Williams having to beg other clubs to take him, and him having to take a pay cut to get to North, will prove a great wake up call to Jordan De Goey. This kid has enormous talent, but if the rumors are true, he lost some focus in 2016 and spent way too much time on the party/nightclub circuit instead of in the gym. I think our club's decision not to offer Williams a contract was done, in part, to serve as a lesson to the youngsters on our list. Don't take your position at Collingwood for granted. Hopefully it works.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 pm

winpies wrote:

It was E+ actually.

Coming from the guy who was a part of the club who drafted Richard Tambling before Buddy in 2004 Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: