Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gubby Allen accepts 12-month anti-doping ban (and resigns)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit tricky to penalise GWS in this years draft after trades etc. If draft picks are being taken from GWS I would imagine it would be their own picks that get lost, not those traded in... Sanction would have to come before a trade period which lends to the belief 2017 picks will be involved in the punishment.
69 years a MAGPIE Libra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:52 pm

AFL now saying that GWS may not have to front the Commission but charges could be dealt with by the Tribunal or a sub-committee. Looks like the AFL is trying desperately to find a way to sidestep the possibility of penalising GWS in any way. My guess is "insufficient evidence". Stinks.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:17 am

Well...imagine my shock when I hear the AFL postpone the hearing! NOT!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:49 pm

think positive wrote:
It was front and back of the herald sun yesterday. Something about a bulldog player giving vital game plan info to his Adelaide brother before last years final, and the AFL didn't punish anyone, and the Bulldogs are pissed off, but then, hey, I reckon the run they got from the umpires in GF made up for that!

Another conspiracy

Don't believe me? From the AFL
From the Australia:

The umpiring of the grand final has been found to be below the standard expected from officials at the elite level.

The AFL reviewed the performances of the game’s umpires and found that three to four incorrect decisions went against Sydney, Fox Sports reported last night.

Decisions deemed incorrect included some failures to call sliding free kicks, most notably the slide by Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood on the Swans’ Dan Hannebery that resulted in a medial ligament injury to the midfielder in the final quarter when the game was in the balance.

At least one other slide that didn’t receive any sanction was viewed as a mistake.

Incidents that were contentious included below-the-knees contact from Toby McLean on Kieren Jack, with the free kick going against Jack, as well as a slide from Dale Morris on the wing that saw Tom Papley tumble over.

Another incident in the third quarter involved Dane Rampe being called for holding the ball, which the league deemed an incorrect decision.

The free kick against Rampe was quickly followed by a Clay Smith free kick for a high tackle, from which he scored.

Overall, the Western Bulldogs received 20 free kicks to the Swans’ eight. The differential of 12 was the biggest in a grand final since the three-umpire system was introduced in 1994.

Yep, the Dogs flag was a tribute to the umps, worst umpiring I have ever, ever seen in a GF, it ruined the game basically, and hey, I have no love for Swans, but fair is fair. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 pm

unbelievable how many people both want to, and think its ok to influence the competition unfairly. Dimmy started this, or at least took it to a new level... with 'cost of living allowance' which was just team / league tampering. I dont remember Geelong getting a lower salary cap b/c property is half the price down there, so COLA was a made up crock of shizen to prop up the weaker market teams - Sydney & Brisbane. Created a monster in Brisbane, and Sydney have been in the finals every year & won 2 flags in the past 11 years.

Plus you cant tell me he didnt influence the umpires to look after certain teams... which continues to this day. Unless the umps themselves deem themselves the governors of the game, with the right to favour the teams that they like, or see as deserving of help. At best its favouritism, at worst, its corruption... with no form of retribution
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:30 am

I have held and voiced this view for some time. I see the AFL as an extremely poorly run organisations. It is manipulative at best and corrupt at worst. Not a single major issue such as tanking, the Essendon sage, the Whitfield saga have been handled with any level of balance, professionalism, consistency or expedience. In just about every case, you would think that the results are tainted and grossly unfair where blame is forced upon a scapegoat.

The AFL are good at making rules in a supposed effort to equalise the competition but within a short period they manipulate this rule to give a team an advantage so as to suit their political agenda.

The quality of the umpiring and the inconsistent decisions made by a tribunal are beyond contempt. It is obvious that the reason that precedent is not taken into account within the tribunal is so that they can be inconsistent without being challenged.

Nothing will change until the AFL is purged from the top down. If you want to fix the problem you start at the head.

Last edited by Member 7167 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:39 am

Member 7167 wrote:
I have held and voiced this view for some time. I see the AFL as an extremely poorly run organisations. It is manipulative at best and corrupt at worst. Not a single major issue such as tanking, the Essendon sage, the Whitfield saga have been handled with any level of balance, professionalism, consistency or expedience. In just about every case, you would think that the results are tainted and grossly unfair where blame is forced upon a scapegoat.

The AFL are good at making rules in a supposed effort to equalise the competition but within a short period they manipulate this rule to give a team an advantage so as to suit their political agenda.

The quality of the umpiring and the inconsistent decisions made by a tribunal are beyond contempt. It is obvious that the reason that precedent is not taken into account within the tribunal is so that they can be inconsistent without be challenged.

Nothing will change until the AFL is purged from the top down. If you want to fix the problem you start at the head.

I think the AFL is being run out of fear of recriminations from WADA and AWADA in the AFL's treatment of players in breach of the drug code. It also fears a backlash from the public from any poor publicity it gets from bad behaviour of players and officials. And it balances all its decisions on its massive investments in its northern state's franchises. So I don't think the individuals who run the AFL are at fault, but rather the AFL has a cultural problem that prevents it running AFL footy for the good of the game.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:09 am

Member 7167 wrote:

The quality of the umpiring and the inconsistent decisions made by a tribunal are beyond contempt. It is obvious that the reason that precedent is not taken into account within the tribunal is so that they can be inconsistent without be challenged.

^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^

As usual brilliant stuff from Member. Can’t add another word as I feel exactly the same way about the AFL.
The only difference is that I am feeling totally turned off with the game passion wise at the moment. I hope it is a temporary off season thing but I have never been so bloody disinterested in the game in the past.
I need to stress it’s the game and NOT Collingwood which I will love till they bury me in my black and white jumper. I will always have black and white blood flowing in my veins. Eternally forever.
However as for the AFL, I reckon the above points made by Member sum up my disgust and frustration, coupled with the fact that while the game has improved out of sight over the past 20 years, the umpiring has got worse. For example, I was OK with the welfare wining the GF but gee whiz, if you were a Sydney fan, you'd be absolutely disgusted and bloody angry about the obviously biased umpiring that helped Footscray at crucial times during the game. It killed them and killed the game for the independent watcher. But what pissed me right off was that the hack media didn’t make too much noise about the admission from the AFL days after the game that the GF umpires made at least 6 major errors. The free kick discrepancy was unprecedented for a GF. This should have led to major news and those umpires should have been named and shamed and censored. But they continue to be untouchable and uncriticised. HOW can any improvement or advancement take place if denial is the biggest driver in this issue of poor umpiring? Bugger that for a joke as I have said for many years. Shocked
Anyway, end of rant. The game will go on despite Lazza getting a passion bypass and my disinterest being at its highest level ever in my life. Couldn’t bloody care less about the bloody AFL. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Lazza on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:12 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

The quality of the umpiring and the inconsistent decisions made by a tribunal are beyond contempt. It is obvious that the reason that precedent is not taken into account within the tribunal is so that they can be inconsistent without be chalklanged.

I think the AFL is being run out of fear of recriminations from WADA and AWADA in the AFL's treatment of players in breach of the drug code. It also fears a backlash from the public from any poor publicity it gets from bad behaviour of players and officials. And it balances all its decisions on its massive investments in its northern state's franchises. So I don't think the individuals who run the AFL are at fault, but rather the AFL has a cultural problem that prevents it running AFL footy for the good of the game.

The WADA stuff has absolutely nothing to do with player treatment and everything to do with access to government funding. No compliance = no funding.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:48 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

The quality of the umpiring and the inconsistent decisions made by a tribunal are beyond contempt. It is obvious that the reason that precedent is not taken into account within the tribunal is so that they can be inconsistent without being challenged.

What absolute rubbish.
Vote for Trump next time!
The old conspiracy theory gets another run.
And Lazza is riding it all the way.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:14 am

thompsoc wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

What absolute rubbish.

Ummm Trump won you know, so he would be right again

And right he is!

As for the fixing business, I give you Barry Hall, $650,000 premierships, Cola, and the biggest fairytale of all time, the mind boggling free kick differential handed out to a team that likes to throw, not handpass, the ball! Not just in one game, for the whole finals series, we would have been up in arms if we had played against them in the finals. Even Richmond could win a final with an extra 18 free kicks handed to them. For (mates with) sake just hand every team one, and get back to a fair playing field. Get rid of the equalisation bullshit, get rid of propped up teams that cannot stand on their own. See ya later Brisbane and Gold Coast, go back to rugby, and let's see how the Swans go now they have pissed off the AFL with the buddy deal.

And don't get me started on the Essendon saga. There is evidence all right, I bet it's in James Hirds safe somewhere, that proves he was tipped off by the fat controller. How else do you explain the shit that man was able to pull? Delay it all for so long that people actually feel sorry for a guy who gets up on TV and admits he got shot up with a cocktail of stuff, he's not sure what! I'm sure Jobes a good guy, he seems like one, and I'll cheer him if he can win the Brownlow without his happy drugs.

And hey, let's fine a team half a million for NOT tanking.

And if a team we don't want up there starts winning too much, we will just change the rules against their style of play! I give you subs, limited changes, new ducking rules, t hey don't even try to hide their bias. They actually said the Swans have to stay successful, or they will fold. That's bullshit!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:01 am

thompsoc wrote:

What absolute rubbish.

Fair point and I respect your differing opinion. That is great.

Just for clarity taking just two examples (out of many) where I think is AFL doing bugger all :-

1. Do you or don't you think that clubs tank towards the end of the year?

2. Do you or don't you think that the umpiring standards have decreased over the past ten years?

Thanks dude.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:08 am

Lazza wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

What absolute rubbish.

Just for clarity taking just two examples (out of many) where I think is AFL doing bugger all :-

2. Do you or don't you think that the umpiring standards have decreased over the past ten years?

Thanks dude.

I think the umpiring standard is better than it was.
Very difficult these days with such a scrum and contested ball.
Watching the old replays on Foxtel over the last few months was a bit of a revelation seeing the old free flowing game.
Easier on the umpire then.
I thought Cloke got a raw deal in the last few years.
As for tanking I thought a number of clubs sailed close to the wind.
But we have a system where you are innocent until proven guilty.
Very difficult to prove tanking under that system.
We see Wada has the opposite ...guilty until you prove yourself innocent.
Always supported Essendon because to this very day no one has proven anything.
Only Danks knows and he isn't spilling the beans.
I have a life long interest in politics and I have seen many many conspiracy theories pop up and down.
Rarely have they ever proven correct.
Trump said the election was rigged numerous times but he got elected and Clinton got more than 2 million votes than Donald.
He doesn't say the election was rigged now.
I am more worried by the political correctness pushed by the AFL than their incompetence.
I have never been in any organisation that was pure and perfect.
A lot of whinging and whining in every organistion is normal.
My concern is always the direction of that organisation.
I supported the creation of the AFL from the VFL and the current expansion.
I support the draft and salary cap
I support Good Friday football and any other day.
I don't like the corporate direction.
I don't like "text anti social behaviour to..."
And I in particular don't like the way the tribal nature of football has been squashed.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:43 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Lazza wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

What absolute rubbish.

Thanks dude.

I think the umpiring standard is better than it was.
Very difficult these days with such a scrum and contested ball.
Watching the old replays on Foxtel over the last few months was a bit of a revelation seeing the old free flowing game.
Easier on the umpire then.
I thought Cloke got a raw deal in the last few years.
As for tanking I thought a number of clubs sailed close to the wind.
But we have a system where you are innocent until proven guilty.
Very difficult to prove tanking under that system.
We see Wada has the opposite ...guilty until you prove yourself innocent.
Always supported Essendon because to this very day no one has proven anything.
Only Danks knows and he isn't spilling the beans.
I have a life long interest in politics and I have seen many many conspiracy theories pop up and down.
Rarely have they ever proven correct.
Trump said the election was rigged numerous times but he got elected and Clinton got more than 2 million votes than Donald.
He doesn't say the election was rigged now.
I am more worried by the political correctness pushed by the AFL than their incompetence.
I have never been in any organisation that was pure and perfect.
A lot of whinging and whining in every organistion is normal.
My concern is always the direction of that organisation.
I supported the creation of the AFL from the VFL and the current expansion.
I support the draft and salary cap
I support Good Friday football and any other day.
I don't like the corporate direction.
I don't like "text anti social behaviour to..."
And I in particular don't like the way the tribal nature of football has been squashed.

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. Some excellent points made.

However let's just agree to disagree on the two points I mentioned. Your point about watching the old replays on Foxtel over the last few months being a bit of a revelation and the old free flowing game being easier on the umpire then proves my point. The game, the players, the clubs, the administrators. the injury management, fitness training etc etc has all improved except for the umpires who haven't kept up with the increased levels of competence required to umpire at the highest level these days. The amount of times I (who has been following the game for many years) have just shaken my head in total and utter disbelief at a decision or more importantly, a non-decision, is more than the amount of times I have had a piss in my life!! BTW, I base it on non-Collingwood games where my obvious bias doesn't factor in, like for example the finals series and especially the GF. Footscray were the recipients of a great amount of extremely dubious decisions but this does NOT mean that they didn't deserve to win the flag. Just stating an opinion, that's all.

On tanking, I firmly believe that it happens but that the AFL turn a blind eye to it because it is in the “far too hard to deal with” basket. They will therefore never admit to it taking place but reality speaks the truth and often in a different language.

Thanks again for a decent reply and your opinions. Appreciate it.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Totally agree with everything Thompsoc said. We need to get away from the corporate takeover of the AFL and back to grassroots football where the CFC evolved. The condemnation of comments of Eddie towards Caroline Wilson stunk of political correctness and fear of loss of sponsorship of the CFC. So the conclusion is we can no longer say what we think but have to preface our thoughts by pandering to every minority group in society. We are no longer living in a free society imo but in a society dictated by the few against the majority. The natural conclusion of all this is that at some point in time, the majority will rebel and the Populists like Pauline Hanson will fill the vacuum will become the government and that will spell doom for all of us.
As for the umpires, the umpiring has never been better in 2016. Admittedly the umpiring was a bit bewildering in the GF, but that I think that was due the umpires wanting the WB to win. Other than the natural basis of the umpires, they decipher the free kicks much better than we do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24   

Jump to: