Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Costs of Squads

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:38 am
Post subject: Costs of SquadsReply with quote

I thought it would be interesting for everyone to see how much many their club spent on their squads :

Its also interesting that a lot of clubs best player isnt necessarily the most expensive eg Liverpool and Arsenal

Club Cost of squad Most expensive player
1 Manchester United £102.6m Veron - £28.1m
2 Arsenal £100.7m Wiltord - £13m
3 Chelsea £90.6m Hasselbaink - £15m
4 Leeds United £76m Ferdinand - £18m
5 Newcastle £69.8m Shearer - £15m
6 Liverpool £69.4m Heskey - £11m
7 Tottenham £55.2m Rebrov - £11m
8 Aston Villa £45.9m Angel - £9.5m
9 Middlesbrough £41.8m Ehiogu - £8m
10 Blackburn Rovers £40.5m Grabbi - £7m
11 Everton £38.8m Radzinski - £4.5m
12 Leicester City £33.6m Akinbiyi - £5m
13 Sunderland £30.8m Thome - £4.5m
14 West Ham United £29.7m Kanoute - £3.7m
15 Derby County £24.6m Burley - £3m
16 Charlton £22.5m Euell - £4.75m
17 Fulham £21.3m Goma - £4m
18 Ipswich Town £14.2m Hreidarsson - £4m
19 Southampton £12.9m Delap - £4m
20 Bolton Wanderers £10m Holdsworth - £3.5m

* Market value of free transfers and players who have come through the youth
ranks are not included in cost of sqaud totals. Figures correct as of
Sunday, July 15

EVERYONE IS A COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTER ITS JUST THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE IN DENIAL
Fletch 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 3:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff JLC, My boy Bruno Heskey is shaping up as a real bargain as the games go by. I think you need to consider though the silly season gets crazier each year and clubs seem to be going ridiculous on the transfer market and paying a kings ransom for guys who are not worth it(Frank Lampard springs to my mind immediately from this years signings).

Also JLC the weekly salaries would be a truer indication of the pecking order at a particular club.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' Legendary Liverpool Manager, the great Bill Shankly.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:50 pm

I was reading that Gerrard Houllier has virtually left the squad unchanged except for possibly the departure of Ziege as he believes we already have the talent in the squad.

In Liverpools squad i think Owen is better than Heskey. Fowler is returning to his best. But the most under rated player without a doubt is Hyypia. He virtually played every game last year and didnt pick up one card.

In terms of Value for money Liverpools squad would have to be the best in the Premier League..

APA

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 7:17 pm

JLC,
I think Liverpool bought a Norwegian guy for about £4m his name is I think?!? John Arne Risse (or something like that)

It's hard for me to believe that Arsenal's squad cost over £100m but I suppose it must be true although out of all the top clubs Arsenal have recouped the most money through sales (Anelka £23m, Overmars £22m,Petit £11m)
You have to say looking at that list that the club that has the least to show for spending alot of money is Newcastle (followed by Chelsea)

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC

[This message has been edited by DIPPER (edited 17 July 2001).]
Fletch 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:31 am

Good call Dip, Chelsea and Englands Magpies love wasting money, even your pal Wegner seems to be raiding France at the moment and loading the side up with Frogs.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' Legendary Liverpool Manager, the great Bill Shankly.

Fletch 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:54 am

JLC its hard to compare Owen to Heskey because they are such different players. Micky relies on his pace and agility while Bruno is more of a physical force who is more likely to worry Defenders in the air with his natural size.

Both quality players and i'm glad there at Anfield with Fowler and Litmanen who was also impressive until he broke his wrist.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:20 pm

dont get me wrong DJ Heskey is my favourite player but i believe Michael Owen is more of a natural striker and he scores in big games more often. Hopefully this year they will compliment each other.

Jari Litmann will be like a new recruit this year for Liverpool and will be a key playmaker in our team. Redknapp will return from injury.

APA

DIPPER 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 5:45 pm

There's a lot of people in this country that think Heskey is just a big lug with no skill who couldn't trap a bag of cement-now I'm not saying I'm one of them (although I am-hehe) but Owen is a class forward playing on the shoulder of the last defender, Fowler does this as well but has shown lately that he has the awareness & skill to drop deeper & create chances & Litmanen is one of the best deep playing strikers in the world so WHY,WHY,WHY play some one as untalented as 'Bruno'(did any of you ever see the real Bruno getting knocked out?he was great at beating up stiffs [just like Heskey] but put him up against someone with a bit of class & he got shown up [just like Heskey]& he had a glass chin)

I do not & have never loved Liverpool FC
Fletch 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 4:52 am

Hahaha Oh Dip, I thougt Frank Bruno was Englands favourite son?

Never mind the fact that my dead grandmother could probably beat him up. Anyway stop bagging Heskey the mans a powerhouse and he knows how to find the back of the net.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: