Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Rockliff - staying put

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Wells or Rockliff or just one of them? Because if we get them both and go into round 1 against the Dogs we will smash them minimum 4 goals. The last time we played the Bulldogs round 1 im pretty sure we ended up winning a flag that year.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Number 35 wrote:
Is it Wells or Rockliff or just one of them? Because if we get them both and go into round 1 against the Dogs we will smash them minimum 4 goals. The last time we played the Bulldogs round 1 im pretty sure we ended up winning a flag that year.

Seems we have enquired about Rockliff, we will get Wells through free agency.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:23 pm

If Rockliff is available, you get him. Sounds like there is a lot of water to go under this bridge before anything serious though.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:10 pm

It's a yes from me, as log as he's fit. He's going to come at a discount due to injuries and off field issues, it's the perfect time to buy.

He's a very good player and would play a similar mid/forward role to Swan. I don't think the deal would cost us much more than Witts and Frost.

If we don't at least attempt to get him and it's based on silly moralistic grounds then we're giving a free kick to our opponents. The Crows, for instance, will look a lot better next year if they add Gibbs and Rockliff to their midfield, as that is their major weakness.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Salary cap would be an issue which may explain other transactions being held up.

If Rocky can perform on field as he has then he would be a massive gain. We are a "grunt" team, but how often were we beaten around the ball? Put Rocky, Tay and Greenwood in to extract and feed the silkier players like Pendles, Treloar, Sidey etc.

Last edited by MightyMagpie on Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:50 pm

Rockliff is a gun
make it happen Pies!
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Blair could be traded to get us some worthwhile picks.....or is he another player worth a fourth rounder which would mean sweetfa to us, just like Cloke!

Between Cloke, Frost, Blair, Witts and Williams there has to be a way we could get Rockcliff in with.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:46 pm

Not sure what to think about this. Could moving clubs be the Heath Shaw epiphany he needs to help resolve his off-field issues? What would he cost? Does it impact on the WHE and Mayne deals? Does it mean we can't chase a Sam Reid type? Does it limit the number of live picks we'll have in the draft? If we have Treloar, Pendles, Sidey, Varcoe, Adams, Aish, Greenwood, Wills, Thomas, DeGoey, Wells, and potentially Sier, Phillips, Smith, WHE, Brown and Daicos do we need another midfielder?

I just don't know!
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:51 pm

I'm surprised so many people want Rockliff. I don't think he hurts the opposition but as Buckley said at the forum, he isn't looking to change the style of play next season which would mean Rockliff fits the criteria.
That said, Rockliff is on crazy money so I can't see this deal happening.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:00 pm

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
I'm surprised so many people want Rockliff. I don't think he hurts the opposition but as Buckley said at the forum, he isn't looking to change the style of play next season which would mean Rockliff fits the criteria.
That said, Rockliff is on crazy money so I can't see this deal happening.

"Hurting" the opposition is an interesting one. The same has been said about players like Swan and Priddis. They get a lot of the ball but do they have much of an impact? Sure they do, so does Rockliff. Disposal efficiency is the most overrated stat going and it's very risky to base any conclusions on it.

Some numbers for Rockliff that shows he definitely has worth as a player (remembering that we were 15th for clearances in 2016)

Clearances
Rockliff: 5.4 (2016), 5.4 (2015), 6.4 (2014)
Pendles: 4.6 (2016), 4.6 (2015), 5.3 (2014)
Adams: 4.7 (2016), 5.4 (2015), 2.8 (2014)
Greenwood: 2.3 (2016), 2.5 (2015)

Tackles
Rockliff: 6.9 (2016), 8.1 (2015), 9.1 (2014)

Rockliff is a running machine. He wins the hard ball as well or better than anyone at our club. He tackles at a greater rate than just about any Pie. He can go forward and kick goals. His kicking may not be elite but neither is Dangerfield's. Winning the ball is important, presenting to receive the ball is important. Not always being able to pinpoint a pass after running 200m is a minor flaw.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:12 pm

As to what we'd give up for Rockliff, I'd look at the following:

Greenwood (less of a place for him now), Witts, Frost.

And there's never too many mids. The game is all about run and we could certainly do with another elite runner. I'd far prefer Rockliff who is definite an elite mid to a mediocre KPP which is the best we could get this offseason.

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:14 pm

Rockcliff and Wells will elevate our midfield to the best in the AFL.

We already have a very good midfield but with injuries we become fragile.
With these two added it will give it an unbreakable feel about it.

Quality is Quality and we will give the premiership a real tilt with this very deep, classy,gritty and grunty midfield.

Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:31 pm

We're in the need of hard in-and-under bodies in the middle and at stoppages after finishing 15th at clearances this year. Probably why Wills proved to be so handy around the ball late in the year. We need a hard nut to hit some packs and keep their feet.

We are also looking at gaps in leadership now so he might fit the bill. Is his character that questionable or is he just disliked by some, I wonder. Gubby would have probably recruited him to Lions in 2008ish so he'd make the call, I'd suspect
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 pm

The character question is interesting too. It looks more like the higher ups have issues with him, not necessarily the players, he was voted in as captain remember.

I don't say we have to chase him hard. It's possible that the salary mix is just not right and signing him isn't possible. I'd just be disappointed if we didn't even explore the possibility for some moral reason.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:37 pm

To get Rockliff for two spuds in Witts and Frost would be the coup of the century. Embrace his antics I say, hopefully he can start a new rat pack and pump some spark into this pedestrian playing group. No more goody-two-shoes teacher's pet hackers, time to inject some attitude!!

MONCO: Your life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17   

Jump to: