Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Live Best 22

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ad4eva wrote:
Unless Ramsay, Scharenberg, Sinclair, Elliott, Langdon and Broomhead have blitzing pre-seasons I cant see them playing round 1. Even throw Josh Thomas and Lachlan Keefe into that mix.

I for one don't want to be taking these guys with little to no footy under the belts in 12 months against the reigning premier.

Ramsay and Sinclair played enough footy during the 2016 season to assume they should be right to go from rd1 next season. Scharenburg and Elliot on the other hand.....
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:24 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
ad4eva wrote:
Unless Ramsay, Scharenberg, Sinclair, Elliott, Langdon and Broomhead have blitzing pre-seasons I cant see them playing round 1. Even throw Josh Thomas and Lachlan Keefe into that mix.

I for one don't want to be taking these guys with little to no footy under the belts in 12 months against the reigning premier.

Ramsay and Sinclair played enough footy during the 2016 season to assume they should be right to go from rd1 next season. Scharenburg and Elliot on the other hand.....

Ramsay suffered a full knee reco and Sinclair numerous concussions. I hope they are both right to go by round one but I seriously doubt that will be the case.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:36 am

B: Howe, Dunn, Smith
HB: Aish, Reid, Maynard
C: Varcoe, Adams, Wells
HF: Sidebottom, Moore, Hoskin-Elliot
F: Mayne, Cox, Fasolo
Foll Grundy, Pendlebury, Treloar
Int Crisp, Greenwood, De Goey, White
Emerg: Wills, Keeffe, Oxley

I am assuming that players like Scharenberg, Elliott, Broomhead, Ramsay, Sinclair and Langdon will start in the seconds and build up, so I've picked players who should be 100% ready to go in Round 1. Not entirely convinced that Dunn should have a place in the starting 22; we will have to see how Keeffe and Goldsack go in the pre-season. Marsh would be my #1 choice at full-back if he was interested.

Notice that I have found a way to play Sidebottom in his natural role, as a forward with a licence to roam. If Elliott returns, Sidey might have to go back to the wing. I am keen to see Cox resume in the square; people are saying he won't be any good once the other sides work him out, but what can you do about a very tall leading forward playing out of the square? You certainly can't double-team him when you've got Sidebottom, Moore, and Fasolo to worry about - any one of those three can and will boot five majors in a half of football if you don't play them careful close attention.

Adams and Greenwood to share the inside grunt work, with De Goey perhaps earning a place in the guts as well this year if he comes on. Aish, Reid, and Maynard are all penetrating users of the ball (Maynard is still learning but he's learning fast, he's starting to remind me of Harry O the way he explodes it forward), and the wings in Varcoe and Wells are all class. I really like the look of this side. Bring in Billy, the Berg, and perhaps Ramsay mid-season when they are ready and there is no reason we can't go all the way.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:48 am

Tannin wrote:

I am assuming that players like Scharenberg, Elliott, Broomhead, Ramsay, Sinclair and Langdon will start in the seconds and build up, so I've picked players who should be 100% ready to go in Round 1. Not entirely convinced that Dunn should have a place in the starting 22; we will have to see how Keeffe and Goldsack go in the pre-season. Marsh would be my #1 choice at full-back if he was interested.

Notice that I have found a way to play Sidebottom in his natural role, as a forward with a licence to roam. If Elliott returns, Sidey might have to go back to the wing. I am keen to see Cox resume in the square; people are saying he won't be any good once the other sides work him out, but what can you do about a very tall leading forward playing out of the square? You certainly can't double-team him when you've got Sidebottom, Moore, and Fasolo to worry about - any one of those three can and will boot five majors in a half of football if you don't play them careful close attention.

Adams and Greenwood to share the inside grunt work, with De Goey perhaps earning a place in the guts as well this year if he comes on. Aish, Reid, and Maynard are all penetrating users of the ball (Maynard is still learning but he's learning fast, he's starting to remind me of Harry O the way he explodes it forward), and the wings in Varcoe and Wells are all class. I really like the look of this side. Bring in Billy, the Berg, and perhaps Ramsay mid-season when they are ready and there is no reason we can't go all the way.

I like this side and think its probably closer to the round 1 side than my best 22. The facts are though that the players in this round 1 side will have a lot of pressure to keep their spots if the more highly regarded players that you list get back to the form we know they are capable of. Of the list in the wings, the one that intrigues me is Langdon. I see him as the Nick Maxwell type of player. The guy that no one thinks is good enough to earn a spot in the side but the guy that there is no mistaking we play better when he is in the side. Maxwell did this for years. I believe that he was hurt ALL of last year and so i am going to continue to judle him on his 2015 form which was excellent. I guess we'll see.

My only concern with this lest is that a forward line with Cox in it tend to bleed ball out too easily. Cox was terrific for 2 or three goals a game when we had no other options there. Its not clear to me how many goals he cost us by being completely unable to run with anyone. In my mind, White and Cox dont play in the same team because they are both in the team primarily to give Grundy a chop out. I would much rather an extra runner in the side (or even a more defensive minded forward like Blair) to fill the spot that Cox has. i prefer White over Cox due to his versatility. Hopefully another off season of hard work helpd White read the play a little better (and he was noticeably improved in that area in the second half of last year).

I do think Cox should play if either Moore or White is unavailable which is a big admission for me given that this time last year i thought he was basically useless at the elite level.

Warbler 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 am

Greenwood has been traded hasn't he ?

GO PIES
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:49 am

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

I like this side and think its probably closer to the round 1 side than my best 22. The facts are though that the players in this round 1 side will have a lot of pressure to keep their spots if the more highly regarded players that you list get back to the form we know they are capable of. Of the list in the wings, the one that intrigues me is Langdon. I see him as the Nick Maxwell type of player. The guy that no one thinks is good enough to earn a spot in the side but the guy that there is no mistaking we play better when he is in the side. Maxwell did this for years. I believe that he was hurt ALL of last year and so i am going to continue to judle him on his 2015 form which was excellent. I guess we'll see.

My only concern with this lest is that a forward line with Cox in it tend to bleed ball out too easily. Cox was terrific for 2 or three goals a game when we had no other options there. Its not clear to me how many goals he cost us by being completely unable to run with anyone. In my mind, White and Cox dont play in the same team because they are both in the team primarily to give Grundy a chop out. I would much rather an extra runner in the side (or even a more defensive minded forward like Blair) to fill the spot that Cox has. i prefer White over Cox due to his versatility. Hopefully another off season of hard work helpd White read the play a little better (and he was noticeably improved in that area in the second half of last year).

I do think Cox should play if either Moore or White is unavailable which is a big admission for me given that this time last year i thought he was basically useless at the elite level.

Not "no one". I think Langdon should eventually be the captain and is a lock in the team when he is fit. The fact is that he played 2 seasons straight, slotting in to the senior team from the moment he joined the Club, and continued to be picked at the end of 2015 and the start of 2016 even when he was carrying injuries. He was only put out of the team by a season-ending injury. His early-career stats make many of the great running defenders of all time look poor.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:51 am

My understanding is Langdon was dropped due to lack of form before injury claimed him for the rest of the season. Happy for someone to correct me on this one, but you can only judge a player on the way you find him and to me he wasn't playing good footy before he was dropped. Crisp was clearly not fit at the start of the season but he doesn't appear to get the same smphathy that Langdon gets.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:04 am

My understanding is Langdon was dropped due to lack of form before injury claimed him for the rest of the season. Happy for someone to correct me on this one, but you can only judge a player on the way you find him and to me he wasn't playing good footy before he was dropped. Crisp was clearly not fit at the start of the season but he doesn't appear to get the same smphathy that Langdon gets.

Yep, appeared to be playing in slo mo for his games early in the season. Was getting caught out a lot taking too long to make disposals and was making some poor decisions. He did OK when moved forward but definitely wasn't playing to the standard of the previous seasons. Get a haircut, sonny!

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:38 pm

Can't do it yet.
Did it a few best 22s last year, but learnt Bucks will play Sinclair if fit, so whats the flipping point.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:57 pm

didick wrote:

Yep, appeared to be playing in slo mo for his games early in the season. Was getting caught out a lot taking too long to make disposals and was making some poor decisions. He did OK when moved forward but definitely wasn't playing to the standard of the previous seasons. Get a haircut, sonny!

Langdon was not dropped. He played every game in 2015, despite injuring his knee late in the season. The Club tried to manage the injury with off-season rest but then he had knee surgery in mid-Decenber 2015. He started training late in January 2016. Despite his late start, he was picked in the round 1 side and played each of rounds 1 to 4. In rounds 3 and 4, he had a combined 53 disposals (2nd behind Adams in one game and third behind Treloar and Adams in the other). His continuing knee injury prevented him backing up for Anzac Day after the Melbourne game (in which he had 26 disposals). He came back for round 6 but injured his ankle, to add to the knee problems (he played barely half that game - but still managed 14 disposals) and then missed the rest of the season.

Do you guys just make stuff up?
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:04 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Can't do it yet.
Did it a few best 22s last year, but learnt Bucks will play Sinclair if fit, so whats the flipping point.

You obviously weren't doing best 22s if Sinclair was fit and you weren't including him...

The best 22 on the AFL website today isn't far off the mark;

B: Tyson Goldsack, Lynden Dunn, Ben Sinclair
HB:Jeremy Howe, Ben Reid, Brayden Maynard
C: Daniel Wells, Adam Treloar, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Chris Mayne, Jesse White, Will Hoskin-Elliott
F: Jamie Elliott, Darcy Moore, Alex Fasolo
R: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams
INT: Travis Varcoe, Jack Crisp, Josh Smith, James Aish
EMERG: Jordan De Goey, Levi Greenwood, Tom Langdon

Greenwood sneaks in somewhere though. Don't think Elliot will play round 1 either, De Goey probably gets that spot

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Have you done one Invigoration?

Your judgement on who should be best 22 is in severe question.

Am i right in recalling you thought my favourite player was a spud!
Do you actually go to games, or are you friends with Bucks?
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:53 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:

Like I said, my 22 (for round 1, not necessarily best 22) would be very similar to one posted on the AFL site. I don't think Elliot will get up though, De Goey takes that spot and I think Greenwood gets the nod for a bit of grunt inside. Probably at the expense of Smith, maybe Crisp.

I have no idea who your favourite player is, I very,very rarely label a player a spud though. Is your favourite player Corey Gault? Anyway point is, you weren't really doing best 22s last year if you were leaving out Sinclair. Was our best rebounding defender by some ways when fit.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:54 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Not "no one". I think Langdon should eventually be the captain and is a lock in the team when he is fit. The fact is that he played 2 seasons straight, slotting in to the senior team from the moment he joined the Club, and continued to be picked at the end of 2015 and the start of 2016 even when he was carrying injuries. He was only put out of the team by a season-ending injury. His early-career stats make many of the great running defenders of all time look poor.

P4S all due respect mate Langdon will never captain the club and is hard pressed to be in our starting line up round 1 (like several other players coming back from injury or suspension) his form prior to go out of the side in 2016 wasn't great (disposal numbers aside like you've said before about treloar number mean nothing) he wasn't playing with the same level or endeavour as he had in 2015 be that from injury or getting ahead of himself towing his spot for granted. At his best barring injuries he is in a battle with 3 or 4 others for a spot. Not saying he won't get the spot just saying he's not a walk up start for it.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:59 pm

Invigoration wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:

Like I said, my 22 (for round 1, not necessarily best 22) would be very similar to one posted on the AFL site. I don't think Elliot will get up though, De Goey takes that spot and I think Greenwood gets the nod for a bit of grunt inside. Probably at the expense of Smith, maybe Crisp.

I have no idea who your favourite player is, I very,very rarely label a player a spud though. Is your favourite player Corey Gault? Anyway point is, you weren't really doing best 22s last year if you were leaving out Sinclair. Was our best rebounding defender by some ways when fit.

Sinclair has never been AFL standard

This bloke is:
http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1606661&highlight=#1606661
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: