Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Will Tony Abbott ever lead the Liberal Party again?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Abbott return as the leader of the Liberal Party?
Yes, as PM
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but only in opposition
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:32 pm
Post subject: Will Tony Abbott ever lead the Liberal Party again?Reply with quote

This is on the same topic as the thread below, but I wanted to see what people's thinking is on this:

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=81111

Nothing to do with whether you like Abbott or not – do you think we'll see him in power again? And if so, do you think he'll be more successful next time around or just crash and burn again?

I have a weird feeling that they'll go back to him, and that he's going to run a more successful but more overtly right-wing government.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:41 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because Hockey and Credlin are both gone, and they were a pair of weights hanging around his neck.

I would be quite happy, even as a non-Lib to see Tone back. I hated how he got knifed by the smug do-nothing we have as PM now.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:42 am

How do you know this is going to happen?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 pm
Post subject: Re: Will Tony Abbott ever lead the Liberal Party again?Reply with quote

David wrote:
I have a weird feeling that they'll go back to him, and that he's going to run a more successful but more overtly right-wing government.

How is that even possible?

Seriously, what could he possibly do that would be more overtly right-wing other than swap his funny hats for a pair of jackboots?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:39 pm

Not a chance. Put your money on the Asbestosis Lawyer.

And then god help us all.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:44 pm

I cannot see it happening. At the same time Mal is simply doing nothing so a change is needed. Abbott made some crazy decisions and often put his foot on his mouth but at least he did have a crack and did achieve at some level
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Let's not be too quick to criticise: doing nothing would be a vast improvement on doing what Abbott and Hockey did.

Sadly, Turncoat isn't doing nothing. He is busily implementing the same old Abbott-era policies and taking them further. The public has finally woken up to that now, hence his woeful poll rankings.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Do they want to hand Labor the Next Election Very Happy
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:02 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Do they want to hand Labor the Next Election Very Happy

Labor's a shoe in anyway. Bishop might be able to turn that ship around, Abbott would protect seats by cementing in the conservatives and also take a chunk out of One Nation's rise. Moderate Malcolm is walking the Libs off a cliff.

At least Shorten has hung around, I was most worried about him resigning and having to deal with Plibersook. Albo would be alright though.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:22 am
Post subject: Re: Will Tony Abbott ever lead the Liberal Party again?Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
David wrote:

How is that even possible?

Seriously, what could he possibly do that would be more overtly right-wing other than swap his funny hats for a pair of jackboots?

No doubt that Abbott's government was an ideologically extreme one, but the preferred flavour then was IPA-style right-libertarianism. I reckon his next go (if he gets one) will see a lot of that shelved for more of the populist far-right stuff that we're seeing in France, Russia, Poland and Trump's campaign in the US. Abbott's speeches since he lost the prime ministership have suggested that that's the direction he wants to go, and I think there are far more votes in that approach than there are in austerity economics.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:46 am

David wrote:

No doubt that Abbott's government was an ideologically extreme one, but the preferred flavour then was IPA-style right-libertarianism. I reckon his next go (if he gets one) will see a lot of that shelved for more of the populist far-right stuff that we're seeing in France, Russia, Poland and Trump's campaign in the US. Abbott's speeches since he lost the prime ministership have suggested that that's the direction he wants to go, and I think there are far more votes in that approach than there are in austerity economics.

Oh my, could the Australian Donald Trump be Tony Abbott? Let me get the popcorn and a vessel to hold all the lefty tears Laughing
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:06 am

Bloody hell. So that's what you meant. It is no bloody wonder no-one understands the gibberish you write when you insist on making up your own private language.

Learn what "right wing" means for the love of Mike!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:58 am

Things have changed Tannin.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/regressive-left-puts-bigotry-and-militant-islam-on-a-pedestal/news-story/c42df8a48a1e2da5f33311f4a3303919?nk=db0c3cd5d5971fd726e501d0aaae534b-1475876773

https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/2016/07/liberal-right-vs-regressive-left-and-religious-right/

The Right wing is going through a culture war right now, similar to the one the left has been through. On the left the overwhelming victor has been the identity politics of the 'progressive' left, on the right we have Libertarians or classic liberals in the distinct minority (Rand Paul, David Leyonhjelm), Conservatives, often religious (Romney/Bush, Abbott) and the new 'alt-Right' mainly Nationalists (Trump, Hanson, Farage).

There's no private language or secret club, just a fracturing of old paradigms. The alt-right has largely risen as a reaction to the progressive left and 'political correctness'. It's like the 90s culture wars gone nuclear. The Bushes and Howards have been replaced by Trumps and Hansons.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:49 am

Peta is a whole lot smarter than Tony. She's by far the more likely of the 2 to make a comeback (and a very fine public speaker, as well - not that most of you would be aware of that). She and Frydenberg (who is also a clever lad) have significant political differences but, if it were possible, an alignment of the two would be a very dangerous thing for the ALP (probably also for the country - I'm not barracking for them, just expressing a considered view based on what I know).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:42 pm

Wokko wrote:
Things have changed Tannin.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/regressive-left-puts-bigotry-and-militant-islam-on-a-pedestal/news-story/c42df8a48a1e2da5f33311f4a3303919?nk=db0c3cd5d5971fd726e501d0aaae534b-1475876773

https://www.theobjectivestandard.com/2016/07/liberal-right-vs-regressive-left-and-religious-right/

The Right wing is going through a culture war right now, similar to the one the left has been through. On the left the overwhelming victor has been the identity politics of the 'progressive' left, on the right we have Libertarians or classic liberals in the distinct minority (Rand Paul, David Leyonhjelm), Conservatives, often religious (Romney/Bush, Abbott) and the new 'alt-Right' mainly Nationalists (Trump, Hanson, Farage).

There's no private language or secret club, just a fracturing of old paradigms. The alt-right has largely risen as a reaction to the progressive left and 'political correctness'. It's like the 90s culture wars gone nuclear. The Bushes and Howards have been replaced by Trumps and Hansons.

This is more or less spot on. Though, of course, we'll have to wait and see what impact a crushing loss to Trump in the election will have on the alt-right's ascendancy (likewise, I wonder if the left's inevitable disillusionment with the Clinton administration will be a blow to the identity politics set who think that all you need in order for progress to be achieved is to have more members of oppressed minorities in power). Also, once the dust settles in Syria and the flow of refugees into Europe slows down, the far right's program may start to seem less appealing to working class voters.

If the political zeitgeist is about what's happening to people culturally and economically, then it's difficult to predict where things will go over the next few years. Perhaps Houellebecq was right and we'll end up with Le Pen types vs an unholy new leftist / Islamist coalition... Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: