Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our club's environment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I also reminded myself that it was swanny's farewell speech... but I agree players still seemed segregated and the group fragmented. Also reminded me of murmurings about players saying there were too many meetings and Bucks analysing everything. That was the look written on some of the players faces to me.

And I think Eddie would be blind to this. He thinks build it and they will come.. and love it.. and if they don't, piss off cos it's you, not us. Could just imagine the following conversation...

"Hey Bevo, Ed McGuire here mate. Look mate, it's time to get you back to the club. How much coin do you want and we'll get the paperwork done..."
"Thanks Ed, but I'm good here mate."
"What do mean Luke... this is collingwood. I'm at the helm, we've got Gubby back, our facilities are the biggest in the land.. can fit twice as many players in them than we actually have, we rarely make mistakes in our own eyes, and our expectations are sky high for every year of the next 5."
"Exactly Ed... thanks and best of luck. Bye."
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:41 pm

I would have to say that being a coach is similar in many respects as being a manager. It is all about the people. As a manager or coach you are responsible for maintaining an environment that brings out the best in people and allows them to be most effective in their roles. To be successful this needs to be refined on both a group and an individual basis. Everyone, and I mean every one needs to be treated equally and the only difference being the need to cater for an individuals special needs or support. Some people need little or no support in this area whist others require significant input.

What works for an individual in one environment may not not work in the same manner in a different environment. Conversely a change of personality trying to do the same thing in the same manner in the same environment may not have the same outcome.

The thing is that all coaches, their teams, their players and the environments are all different and getting it right is a hell of a lot more complicated than what many believe. Some may make it look easy from the outside but getting it right always takes significant planning, luck and application.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:30 pm

^

The other essential part of being a good manager is being able to hire the right people and get rid of the ones who aren't.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:44 pm

The fact is we don't have a clue. Mostly the analysis comes down to: club doing good equals good culture. We know that's not true, look at the Eagles under Mick. So all we're really saying here is we want to win more games. Putting the lack of doing so down to some special mix of "club culture" when there are far more concrete reasons is pointless. There is no one perfect culture and no bad culture that isn't fixed by winning games. And that's without even saying we can never actually know what it's like to be at any particular club, it's just: club's not doing great, must have bad culture. I prefer to stick to what's actually observable.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

The other essential part of being a good manager is being able to hire the right people and get rid of the ones who aren't.
j

Easier said than done. Sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have

matrix10 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:23 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
The fact is we don't have a clue. Mostly the analysis comes down to: club doing good equals good culture. We know that's not true, look at the Eagles under Mick. So all we're really saying here is we want to win more games. Putting the lack of doing so down to some special mix of "club culture" when there are far more concrete reasons is pointless. There is no one perfect culture and no bad culture that isn't fixed by winning games. And that's without even saying we can never actually know what it's like to be at any particular club, it's just: club's not doing great, must have bad culture. I prefer to stick to what's actually observable.

this 100%
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

j

Easier said than done. Sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have

Absolutely. Been there, done that and managed people who had to do it. It's hard work. Particularly when what you've got is crap.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:12 am

cityslick1 wrote:
I also reminded myself that it was swanny's farewell speech... but I agree players still seemed segregated and the group fragmented. Also reminded me of murmurings about players saying there were too many meetings and Bucks analysing everything. That was the look written on some of the players faces to me.

And I think Eddie would be blind to this. He thinks build it and they will come.. and love it.. and if they don't, piss off cos it's you, not us. Could just imagine the following conversation...

"Hey Bevo, Ed McGuire here mate. Look mate, it's time to get you back to the club. How much coin do you want and we'll get the paperwork done..."
"Thanks Ed, but I'm good here mate."
"What do mean Luke... this is collingwood. I'm at the helm, we've got Gubby back, our facilities are the biggest in the land.. can fit twice as many players in them than we actually have, we rarely make mistakes in our own eyes, and our expectations are sky high for every year of the next 5."
"Exactly Ed... thanks and best of luck. Bye."

As you point out, these are just your imaginings. You're certainly reading a hell of a lot into a couple of player shots from the doco.

What do you think they do at the Dogs? Sit in a circle holding hands?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: