Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Conviction: brilliant doco on the Jill Meagher murder

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:51 pm
Post subject: Conviction: brilliant doco on the Jill Meagher murderReply with quote

Had to share this. Was on last night. Stunning Aussie made doco narrated & written in part by long time crime reporter John Sylvester on the Jill Meagher murder from a Police perspective.

Stunning, jaw dropping, moving, insightful, intelligent, did not treat the audience as mugs, horrific & well done. Really worth a watch.

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/conviction/DO1415V001S00

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylvester and Rule are the top notch in crime reporters. I'll have to have a look at it.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:09 pm
Post subject: Re: Conviction: brilliant doco on the Jill Meagher murderReply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Stunning, jaw dropping, moving, insightful, intelligent, did not treat the audience as mugs, horrific & well done. Really worth a watch.

This.

Watching a lot of the footage that is literally around the corner from where my daughter lives was terrifying.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:09 am

Thanks for the link WPT.

Totally agree with Stui on Sylvester and Rule being excellent crime reporters. I still shake my head at the horrific nature of this crime.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:46 am

Because there are murders that aren't horrific?
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:36 am

I find it quite horrific that he was allowed out of jail to rape and murder someone.
#SIDEBYSIDE
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:30 am

mandy wrote:
I find it quite horrific that he was allowed out of jail to rape and murder someone.

Lay the blame fairly & squarely on our state politicians, particularly the lib / nats because they cut the budget so badly in terms of legal resource funding.The consequence of their short sightedness essentially meant that the parole board was inundated with work & had far less resources to do their job adequately when the demand increased exponentially. An appalling situation

Tough on crime, my arse.

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:03 pm

^^ And the ridiculously out-of-touch judges that impose terribly lenient sentences to perpetrators of violent crimes.

This happened in my neighbourhood, where my wife would walk home from drinks on many occasions. As you can imagine the whole community still fells the impact of that crime.

Wish the creep was exterminated.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The consequence of their short sightedness

And what was that exactly? Genuine question. I'm not much of a political follower. Just curious what they claimed they could do by their decision. Because for the life of me I can't even guess.

#SIDEBYSIDE
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:45 pm

mandy wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

And what was that exactly? Genuine question. I'm not much of a political follower. Just curious what they claimed they could do by their decision. Because for the life of me I can't even guess.

Mandy, what you need to understand is that WPT is an intelligent man but he went to uni in the 70's and was subjected to KGB standard brainwashing.

Those boys were good, and to this day his programmed reaction is that everything bad that happens is the fault of the Lib/nats.

Every now and then he's correct, but if you throw enough balls at the basket some are bound to go in.

The Parole board is to blame for this prick. More money doesn't equal better decision making.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:47 pm

That is a generalization.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:22 pm

On the contrary, I think WPT is spot on. It's a well established fact that an unintended consequence of 'tough on crime' policies can be an under-resourced justice system struggling to cope with too many prisoners and not enough time and space to deal with them all. That's not an excuse for the parole board's failings, it's just a matter of cause and effect.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:33 am

He should be in the normal system (not under protection) and let his fellow inmates show their appreciation for what he has done. That's a nice cost saving measure.

Plebiscite on Gay Marriage, let's go a referendum on the death penalty. Note: I have never been pro "Death Penalty" but I am ready to vote for it thanks to the scum we cannot keep locked up.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm

stui magpie wrote:
mandy wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Mandy, what you need to understand is that WPT is an intelligent man but he went to uni in the 70's and was subjected to KGB standard brainwashing.

Those boys were good, and to this day his programmed reaction is that everything bad that happens is the fault of the Lib/nats.

Every now and then he's correct, but if you throw enough balls at the basket some are bound to go in.

The Parole board is to blame for this prick. More money doesn't equal better decision making.

Utterly wrong Stui, time to get real & stop being infantile.

The parole board's funding was decimated. No one can do their job properly. This was done whether you like it or not mostly by libs - this is not opinion.

I worked in disability when Jeff cut my budget as a senior manager by 11% in one hit - how do you think people with disabilities fared? Now stop being silly & don't just blab "it was the parole board" without any analysis: that's for simpletons & that's not you.

BTW I completed my degree in the 80's & two Grad Dips in the 80's. Fact check
Didn't complete my masters though as I was closing an institution, building community houses & working about 4 roles at the time.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 pm

^WPT, you may be right, but if the funding was decimated - as happens in private business sometimes - the management and staff of the Parole Board are obliged to sit down and carefully work out what the top priority / high-risk cases are, and decide where they are prepared to make a mistake. You refocus resources, and try to maintain your mission.

Bayley was not a case where funding cuts should have made any difference. His record showed that he was liable to do what he did, and he should have been in jail under ordinary procedure. I don't think it is reasonable to make political excuses for an atrocious failure of duty. If it were a private business, I don't think many of us would accept financial constraints as an excuse for gross procedural failures that caused the death of an employee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: