Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell Jarryd Witts

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pay half his new contract if somehow Gold Coast cough up pick 8![/quote]

I did say there was a deal to be done "involving Wiitts". If you look at history, good rucks go for pick 15-18[/quote]

yeah but pick 8?? Are you proposing a swap of picks such as our existing 25 and Witts for their pick 8??[/quote]

Given how many players we have that are AFL standard and are in the 14-22 level, i would have thought there must be a package we could come up with that includes Witts that gets the 8 pick. Oxley, Broomhead, Blair, Maynard, Ramsey, Sinclair, Williams, a pick.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
Stop talking about swapping a second round pick. We will need a second round pick to get Brown as a Father/son and a third round for young Daicos. You can be sure that other clubs will force us to bid those picks, partly because Brown and Daicos are apparently worth those picks and mostly because they don't want to make things easy for the Pies.

The reason why we should trade Witts is so that we can get a first round or another second round player. At this stage we need the round 2 pick we have already for Callum Brown.

Daicos won't be a third round draft pick. If anything it will be like Silvagni, no more than a fourth or fifth round draft pick. Callum Brown could be a third round draft pick - Hine has given no indication that he will even pick him.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 am

stui magpie wrote:
What did we pay Brisbane for Cam Wood?

No 1 ruck in waiting, we shouldn't sell him cheap. I'd prefer to keep him as I reckon he'll pass Grundy within 2 years.

Agree with most of what you've said in this thread, but the bold represents a lost plot!! I'll give you a hand to find it if you'd like? Wink

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:56 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Dr Pie wrote:
Stop talking about swapping a second round pick. We will need a second round pick to get Brown as a Father/son and a third round for young Daicos. You can be sure that other clubs will force us to bid those picks, partly because Brown and Daicos are apparently worth those picks and mostly because they don't want to make things easy for the Pies.

The reason why we should trade Witts is so that we can get a first round or another second round player. At this stage we need the round 2 pick we have already for Callum Brown.

Daicos won't be a third round draft pick. If anything it will be like Silvagni, no more than a fourth or fifth round draft pick. Callum Brown could be a third round draft pick - Hine has given no indication that he will even pick him.

Hmmm. The club hasn't made any indication, you're right.

I must admit that I have not seen either play, but I really want to get both these guys at the club. I understand they are not as highly ranked as Moore was when he was drafted, but I'd like to nab them, hopefully, with a 3rd and 4th round pick.

Im actually more confident that we'll take Brown. Pendles mentioned him in one of his post game facebook chats.

I guess the right call was made on Stewart, who is looking for a move back to Vic. And also Jake Kelly who hasn't played a game this year (Injured?). I know Picken made the choice not to be father-son drafted, but I've hated seeing him run around for the Dogs.

And I know he wasn't eligible for father-son, but I hate the fact that there is a Weideman at Melbourne.

It would be terrible if Brown or Daicos were at different clubs. And you can bet that Carlton would take a shot at both too.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:23 am

What options are there if Grundy cops season ending injury[saw 1st game how Swanny one affected us]

Witts not there ---does it railroad another season

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:27 am

I can see Dacios getting picked up 4th or 5th round but no way we will use a 3rd on Brown, so dont care if we dont land him, Hine will use his powers to trade in a Marchbank and WHE I can guarantee it!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:32 am

The way deals go you can get your man--2013 we took Scharenberg and Brisbane took Aish but we
now got them both despite the "No way" from
Barney

Sure be nice to have Sons of Guns

ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:58 am

barrybc41 wrote:
What options are there if Grundy cops season ending injury[saw 1st game how Swanny one affected us]

Witts not there ---does it railroad another season

Mason Cox will be available and it looks as though we will secure Ivan Maric to bolster this in a Ben Hudson type roll.

Playing a bit of moneyball with this one. A much cheaper option to have playing 90% VFL, while we can cash in and get ourselves another selection to play with in the second round.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:08 am

Cox certainly an option and a better marking option near goal IMO than
Witts----a good kick for goal too

burton 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:38 pm

A former Rookie-list selection that is not in the first team.

The pick in the 20s is fine, take it and USE it.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:48 pm

burton wrote:

I believe that most still undervalue the potential for Witts to be a very good player. He needs to be the no.1 ruckman to achieve that though.

From memory he was only rookie listed as being a part of the old NSW scholarship system, or some such similar name, he was able to be reserved and taken that way without using a high draft pick.

The footy gods can be fickle. During the pre-season Witts was the preferred no.1 ruckman which meant that there was no room in the team for Grundy. It was only injury that cost Witts his place in the team and Grundy has made the most of the opportunity that he was given. It's unfortunate that both ruckmen cannot play in the same team. A player in any other position that had dominated in the VFL as Witts had this year would have been given opportunities in the AFL.

Had Witts not been injured early on we may have been talking about what we would be likely to receive for Grundy in a trade.

Price isn't determined just by supply as demand has to be taken into account as well and there may be several clubs competing for Witts. GCS and Brisbane are being talked about. He would be a walk up start at Richmond. Mummy won't be around forever at GWS. We are interested in a GWS player or two. Many options that may be better than pick 24.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:52 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
burton wrote:

I believe that most still undervalue the potential for Witts to be a very good player. He needs to be the no.1 ruckman to achieve that though.

From memory he was only rookie listed as being a part of the old NSW scholarship system, or some such similar name, he was able to be reserved and taken that way without using a high draft pick.

The footy gods can be fickle. During the pre-season Witts was the preferred no.1 ruckman which meant that there was no room in the team for Grundy. It was only injury that cost Witts his place in the team and Grundy has made the most of the opportunity that he was given. It's unfortunate that both ruckmen cannot play in the same team. A player in any other position that had dominated in the VFL as Witts had this year would have been given opportunities in the AFL.

Had Witts not been injured early on we may have been talking about what we would be likely to receive for Grundy in a trade.

Price isn't determined just by supply as demand has to be taken into account as well and there may be several clubs competing for Witts. GCS and Brisbane are being talked about. He would be a walk up start at Richmond. Mummy won't be around forever at GWS. We are interested in a GWS player or two. Many options that may be better than pick 24.

^^^^ Spot on ^^^^^

Totally agree.

IF Witts has to go, I hope they get a pick or player much better than pick 24, otherwise we have been reamed yet again in these draft deals

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:56 pm

King Monkey wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

No 1 ruck in waiting, we shouldn't sell him cheap. I'd prefer to keep him as I reckon he'll pass Grundy within 2 years.

Agree with most of what you've said in this thread, but the bold represents a lost plot!! I'll give you a hand to find it if you'd like? Wink

hah.

The first job of a ruckman is to give his midfield first use of the ball at stoppages. Witts will win that battle against Grundy all day every day.

Grundy will be better around the ground and get more possessions as a link man, both about equal on marking and goal kicking.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:10 pm

stui magpie wrote:
King Monkey wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

hah.

The first job of a ruckman is to give his midfield first use of the ball at stoppages. Witts will win that battle against Grundy all day every day.

Grundy will be better around the ground and get more possessions as a link man, both about equal on marking and goal kicking.

It's not to give the midfield first possession of the ball, it's to allow the midfield group to win clearances.

Witts will almost certainly win more hit outs than Grundy, the question will be whether that results in more clearances. It took years for Fremantle to take advantage of Sandilands hit out dominance and even then it was probably not what you'd expect. There are different ways to play ruck, someone like a Jolly did not win a huge number of hit outs but knew how to use his body to prevent easy opposition takeaways. This is almost always more important than pure hit outs most of which don't go directly to advantage. Grundy has the size and strength to be as good as anyone, there's nothing to suggest that Witts will be better. One thing that Grundy does very well even at this stage is win his own clearances, averaging 3.9 in 2016.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Grundy played damn well in the 2nd half of the year, and I'm a fan. Don't get me wrong on that aspect.

He blocks well, links up well and plays as an extra midfielder, but his weaknesses are he's not great overhead, he's short for a modern ruckman and he doesn't have much of a leap.

He'll be a clearance beast and a very good player, I just think Witts ability to put the ball to advantage at stoppages will make him the better pure ruckman overall.

Who ends up being the better total value player is totally debatable, which is why I want to keep them both.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14   

Jump to: