Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley "soft generation"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Redlight wrote:
This is the question hanging over Buckley, is he able to adapt to the needs of different players, or is he a tunnel-visioned disciplinarian without the ability to see the value of different approaches and personalities?

If the latter is the case how is it that Swan was able to thrive under Buckley?

If it was clear cut failure then I think he would've been ditched before now. I'm not foolish enough to think that Eddie would risk tarnishing his reputation, he will want to leave a legacy. If Buckley was obviously poor then I think the Pres would throw him under the bus in a second.

Those on the inside are the only ones who really have the full picture on Bucks and his relationship with the players. I doubt there could be any serious player discontent without the club power brokers knowing about it.

The club obviously thinks that Buckley is capable and that injuries are a big factor in our performances this year.

The press may be falling over themselves to paint the Dogs as the heroic victims of injuries, but that's bulltish, Fremantle and Collingwood were the most affected by injuries this year, with obvious results.

If the club's honest appraisal is that Buckley is a good coach and that our performances have been impacted by other factors, then it's their duty to stay the course.

If they change course and sack Buckley in the next twelve months, then we'd be right to wonder how it could take so long for them to realise that he's not the right man?

For the time being I'm backing the club to get it right. These are smart people with a great track record. They have my full support.

If they get it wrong, I'll form a lynch mob with the rest of you. Smile

In my opinion this is a balanced perspective and of note. I agree with the potential flaw in Buckley's approach as I believe he judges people and has expect ions of others based upon his own high standards and professionalism.

The fact is that this is never going to be a realistic approach as some need motivation and others require other forms of support so that they can realise their potential.

I am sure that Buckley is learning from his mistakes and limitations and has improved in these areas.

I for one what to see Buckley successful as a coach as his success is the success of the club as a whole. Those who have written him off and are celebrating any and all failures perceived or otherwise have neither the strength of character or maturity to be able to support their club in tough times. If I was between a rock and a hard place they would be the last people I would chose to stand next to me. This is not about blindly following but balance and taking a realistic although pessimistic approach.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:13 pm

" People try too put us down, hope I die before I get old, talkin bout my Generation " - The Who.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Member there are a few here that would chop their own arm off to prove - in their own eyes at least - their superior intellect to mere football supporters.

Those that revel in their club's misery and it's supporter's pain are sorry excuses for human beings and a monument to their own stupendous egos.

As pathetic as it is -as a club we are no more immune to such types as other clubs.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Redlight wrote:
This is the question hanging over Buckley, is he able to adapt to the needs of different players, or is he a tunnel-visioned disciplinarian without the ability to see the value of different approaches and personalities?

If the latter is the case how is it that Swan was able to thrive under Buckley?

If it was clear cut failure then I think he would've been ditched before now. I'm not foolish enough to think that Eddie would risk tarnishing his reputation, he will want to leave a legacy. If Buckley was obviously poor then I think the Pres would throw him under the bus in a second.

Those on the inside are the only ones who really have the full picture on Bucks and his relationship with the players. I doubt there could be any serious player discontent without the club power brokers knowing about it.

The club obviously thinks that Buckley is capable and that injuries are a big factor in our performances this year.

The press may be falling over themselves to paint the Dogs as the heroic victims of injuries, but that's bulltish, Fremantle and Collingwood were the most affected by injuries this year, with obvious results.

If the club's honest appraisal is that Buckley is a good coach and that our performances have been impacted by other factors, then it's their duty to stay the course.

If they change course and sack Buckley in the next twelve months, then we'd be right to wonder how it could take so long for them to realise that he's not the right man?

For the time being I'm backing the club to get it right. These are smart people with a great track record. They have my full support.

If they get it wrong, I'll form a lynch mob with the rest of you. Smile

In my opinion this is a balanced perspective and of note. I agree with the potential flaw in Buckley's approach as I believe he judges people and has expect ions of others based upon his own high standards and professionalism.

The fact is that this is never going to be a realistic approach as some need motivation and others require other forms of support so that they can realise their potential.

I am sure that Buckley is learning from his mistakes and limitations and has improved in these areas.

I for one what to see Buckley successful as a coach as his success is the success of the club as a whole. Those who have written him off and are celebrating any and all failures perceived or otherwise have neither the strength of character or maturity to be able to support their club in tough times. If I was between a rock and a hard place they would be the last people I would chose to stand next to me. This is not about blindly following but balance and taking a realistic although pessimistic approach.

Really... really, another one.. lmao
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
Member there are a few here that would chop their own arm off to prove - in their own eyes at least - their superior intellect to mere football supporters.

Those that revel in their club's misery and it's supporter's pain are sorry excuses for human beings and a monument to their own stupendous egos.

As pathetic as it is -as a club we are no more immune to such types as other clubs.

And I have nothing but contempt for those who endeavour to prop up one of the most damaging coach in football history, supporting his every failure with bullshit excuses for 6 years.

You sound like the soldiers of Gallipoli sailing through Hell Spit.
As heroic as it was - they got slaughtered!
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:37 pm

My uncle is buried at lone pine carringbush and I find your spiteful rejoinder despicable.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:53 am

droversdog65 wrote:
My uncle is buried at lone pine carringbush and I find your spiteful rejoinder despicable.

Well said, war and football are worlds apart. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:07 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

FMD we all wanted Tony Shaw to be the best coach ever. I know tough times. I lived the late 90's as a teen. My old man lived thru the 60's to 90. And I idolised Shaw. I wanted him to be brilliant as a coach. Perhaps he could of been if not for injury and a shit list. But Eddie took over and decided let's get the best. At that stage the best was Malthouse. We just want the best for Collingwood, from the coach, CEO to the boot studder. We had it from 2006 to 2011.

If Eddie does not throw $10 million for 5 years (or $20 million for 5 years) at Luke Beverage he is $£$%^%%$ kidding himself. I don't care, Eddie get the best mate like you would back in 1999. Money don't matter. Pies fans will pay for it. I will happily pay double for my legends membership to help out. Those Footscray $&&$& won the AFL and VFL Premiership with just as many injuries as us and a list that is on par with us. Don't kid yourself the dogs list ain't that good. What beverage has done is phenomenal. He should be at a big club.

Honestly, we still debating whether bucks can coach after 5 seasons when Beverage took over that rabble 2 years ago? WAKE UP!!!

Ed mate please mate save us from mediocrity.

Last edited by Krakouer Magic on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:11 am

For real. I'm confused now.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:34 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

FMD we all wanted Tony Shaw to be the best coach ever. I know tough times. I lived the late 90's as a teen. My old man lived thru the 60's to 90. And I idolised Shaw. I wanted him to be brilliant as a coach. Perhaps he could of been if not for injury and a shit list. But Eddie took over and decided let's get the best. At that stage the best was Malthouse. We just want the best for Collingwood, from the coach, CEO to the boot studder. We had it from 2006 to 2011.

If Eddie does not throw $10 million for 5 years (or $20 million for 5 years) at Luke Beverage he is $£$%^%%$ kidding himself. I don't care, Eddie get the best mate like you would back in 1999. Money don't matter. Pies fans will pay for it. I will happily pay double for my legends membership to help out. Those Footscray $&&$& won the AFL and VFL Premiership with just as many injuries as us and a list that is on par with us. Don't kid yourself the dogs list ain't that good. What beverage has done is phenomenal. He should be at a big club.

Honestly, we still debating whether bucks can coach after 5 seasons when Beverage took over that rabble 2 years ago? WAKE UP!!!

Ed mate please mate save us from mediocrity.

+1
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:35 am

Piesnchess wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Really? Someone forgot to tell Nick Maxwell who after the siren in GF 1 2010 said 44 players had just gone to war. Can't remember anyone having a go at Maxy for trivialising war.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:28 am

droversdog65 wrote:

Unbelieveable !!

My 2nd cousin's cat in Vietnam was named LongPin, and he got run over by a bicycle in 1951.

How insensitive ?

*sulks*
E 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:29 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Really? Someone forgot to tell Nick Maxwell who after the siren in GF 1 2010 said 44 players had just gone to war. Can't remember anyone having a go at Maxy for trivialising war.

yes, there was considerable commentary about how silly it was for Maxwell to compare football to a war. Its not ok in the US anymore for people to compare sport to war. Mind you, in the US people are always talking about being politically correct.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:25 am

E wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

yes, there was considerable commentary about how silly it was for Maxwell to compare football to a war. Its not ok in the US anymore for people to compare sport to war. Mind you, in the US people are always talking about being politically correct.

Sport was invented as a substitute for war where people get fit and learn basic rules about working together as a team, so nothing wrong about comparing the two. The Ancient Romans used to kill people in the arena for sport. Thankfully no one gets killed in modern day sport. The tragedy of people dying in wars doesn't go away by not talking about it and discussing sport in the context of comparing it to wars, shouldn't offend anyone in my view.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:02 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Geek wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Geek wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:

It's quite rare to land a bloody big fish. Sydney and Geelong landed theirs for geographical reasons that we could not compete with. Buddy because he wanted out of Melbourne and Danger because he wanted to go home. The bloody big fish that we landed, Treloar, cost a lot and despite his great performance this year (without a proper pre-season) some people haven't stopped complaining about the cost ever since.

Quoted for truth.

Don't get your knickers in a knot.

99% of the magpie army was happy with the Treloar deal.

There was still a bunch of sooking over it.

Who ?

Plenty. Jesus, even as late as yesterday you had Doris over on one thread referring to how we got bent over on the deal and she's usually one of the more moderate voices around here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: