Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley "soft generation"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubbish, he would have been sacked years ago - we all know this, even you - any other club... he has show very very little, injuries or not.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:25 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Rubbish, he would have been sacked years ago - we all know this, even you - any other club... he has show very very little, injuries or not.

I agree.
They are nice posts but they don't take into account the favourite son part, and no one has addressed (I think it was 2013 or maybe 2014) at the end of the season there was supposedly a massive investigation into our horror injury run and what was causing them. Did that fail? Did anything change? Things are not getting much better?

The positive is he knows it's now or never, (I believe he stated this himself, but don't quote that) last time a coach was in this position we got the players to win a premiership (Thankyou MM for Luke Ball and Darren Jolly). Not sure Wells and Co are enough. Why can't we do a Sydney or a Geelong and land a bloody big fish?

blakis 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:39 am

Ahhhh..... we did last year. Bloke by the name of Treloar.....

I would consider WHE a pretty good get, if we can close the deal!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 am

think positive wrote:

I agree.
They are nice posts but they don't take into account the favourite son part, and no one has addressed (I think it was 2013 or maybe 2014) at the end of the season there was supposedly a massive investigation into our horror injury run and what was causing them. Did that fail? Did anything change? Things are not getting much better?

The positive is he knows it's now or never, (I believe he stated this himself, but don't quote that) last time a coach was in this position we got the players to win a premiership (Thankyou MM for Luke Ball and Darren Jolly). Not sure Wells and Co are enough. Why can't we do a Sydney or a Geelong and land a bloody big fish?

It's quite rare to land a bloody big fish. Sydney and Geelong landed theirs for geographical reasons that we could not compete with. Buddy because he wanted out of Melbourne and Danger because he wanted to go home. The bloody big fish that we landed, Treloar, cost a lot and despite his great performance this year (without a proper pre-season) some people haven't stopped complaining about the cost ever since.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:37 am

Yeah sorry guys, I love Treloar

I was referring to established stars!

Good answers though, and I reckon Treloar will give us more than the cats or swans will reap!

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:59 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:

It's quite rare to land a bloody big fish. Sydney and Geelong landed theirs for geographical reasons that we could not compete with. Buddy because he wanted out of Melbourne and Danger because he wanted to go home. The bloody big fish that we landed, Treloar, cost a lot and despite his great performance this year (without a proper pre-season) some people haven't stopped complaining about the cost ever since.

Quoted for truth.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:03 pm

Geek wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Don't get your knickers in a knot.

99% of the magpie army was happy with the Treloar deal.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:52 pm

Redlight wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
Redlight wrote:
This is the question hanging over Buckley, is he able to adapt to the needs of different players, or is he a tunnel-visioned disciplinarian without the ability to see the value of different approaches and personalities?

If the latter is the case how is it that Swan was able to thrive under Buckley?

If it was clear cut failure then I think he would've been ditched before now. I'm not foolish enough to think that Eddie would risk tarnishing his reputation, he will want to leave a legacy. If Buckley was obviously poor then I think the Pres would throw him under the bus in a second.

Those on the inside are the only ones who really have the full picture on Bucks and his relationship with the players. I doubt there could be any serious player discontent without the club power brokers knowing about it.

The club obviously thinks that Buckley is capable and that injuries are a big factor in our performances this year.

The press may be falling over themselves to paint the Dogs as the heroic victims of injuries, but that's bulltish, Fremantle and Collingwood were the most affected by injuries this year, with obvious results.

If the club's honest appraisal is that Buckley is a good coach and that our performances have been impacted by other factors, then it's their duty to stay the course.

If they change course and sack Buckley in the next twelve months, then we'd be right to wonder how it could take so long for them to realise that he's not the right man?

For the time being I'm backing the club to get it right. These are smart people with a great track record. They have my full support.

If they get it wrong, I'll form a lynch mob with the rest of you. Smile

How would you rate Bucks after 5 years based on your first question?

Based on your 3rd sentence about clear cut when talking about Bucks and Eddie reputation etc, let me put it another way. If the coach at the beginning of 2012 was Rhode, Neeld, Knights, McCartney, Watters, Leppitsch, Primus, Sanderson, Voss, take Hardwick as well - Do you think that anyone of these guys would've lasted into 2017 after year on year of going backwards? You think Eddie and board would've allowed that? or even the Supporters?

During his five years we've suffered the worst, and most sustained, run of injuries to key players that I've ever seen. On top of engaging in a rebuild. I think that those factors muddy the waters enough to make it impossible to judge his coaching from this distance.

We've shown glimpses of great potential as recently as the second half of this year. I don't think that would be possible if he was a clueless as some here suggest.

Buckley was a great player but that isn't relevant to me. I'd take the same position if it was Hinkley, Hardwick or Voss - given the same circumstances.

Eddie is no idiot and I suspect he's more ruthless than sentimental. He sees Buckley, the players and the other coaches every day. He sees how they interact, sees how they work together. I don't believe he, or the board for that matter, would watch Rome burn because of some 'man-crush'.

Hear, hear!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:59 pm

think positive wrote:

I agree.
They are nice posts but they don't take into account the perceived favourite son part that may or may not actually exist or influence the decisions of the club, and no one has addressed (I think it was 2013 or maybe 2014) at the end of the season there was supposedly a massive investigation into our horror injury run and what was causing them. Did that fail? Did anything change? Things are not getting much better?

EFA.

The post season of 2014 it was acknowledged at the member forum that there had been a 30% increase in training loads and that there would be a further increase going into 2015. That was specific to the soft tissues issues. Injury loads in 2015 & 16 have largely been impact injuries or just bad luck (ACL's, broken bones and the like). If you were to compare our soft tissue injuries over that period I'd guess that we actually fair pretty well relative to every other side in the league.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:10 pm

think positive wrote:

I agree.

Big fish? Treloar counts, right?

That's 1-1 between us and the cats. And they hardly "landed" Dangerfield, he wanted to go home. Unfortunately, Collingwood isn't quite as isolated as Geelong Wink.

Also Adams and Aish are decent sized. As are the potential signings in Wells and WHE.

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Redlight wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
Redlight wrote:
This is the question hanging over Buckley, is he able to adapt to the needs of different players, or is he a tunnel-visioned disciplinarian without the ability to see the value of different approaches and personalities?

If the latter is the case how is it that Swan was able to thrive under Buckley?

If it was clear cut failure then I think he would've been ditched before now. I'm not foolish enough to think that Eddie would risk tarnishing his reputation, he will want to leave a legacy. If Buckley was obviously poor then I think the Pres would throw him under the bus in a second.

Those on the inside are the only ones who really have the full picture on Bucks and his relationship with the players. I doubt there could be any serious player discontent without the club power brokers knowing about it.

The club obviously thinks that Buckley is capable and that injuries are a big factor in our performances this year.

The press may be falling over themselves to paint the Dogs as the heroic victims of injuries, but that's bulltish, Fremantle and Collingwood were the most affected by injuries this year, with obvious results.

If the club's honest appraisal is that Buckley is a good coach and that our performances have been impacted by other factors, then it's their duty to stay the course.

If they change course and sack Buckley in the next twelve months, then we'd be right to wonder how it could take so long for them to realise that he's not the right man?

For the time being I'm backing the club to get it right. These are smart people with a great track record. They have my full support.

If they get it wrong, I'll form a lynch mob with the rest of you. Smile

How would you rate Bucks after 5 years based on your first question?

Based on your 3rd sentence about clear cut when talking about Bucks and Eddie reputation etc, let me put it another way. If the coach at the beginning of 2012 was Rhode, Neeld, Knights, McCartney, Watters, Leppitsch, Primus, Sanderson, Voss, take Hardwick as well - Do you think that anyone of these guys would've lasted into 2017 after year on year of going backwards? You think Eddie and board would've allowed that? or even the Supporters?

During his five years we've suffered the worst, and most sustained, run of injuries to key players that I've ever seen. On top of engaging in a rebuild. I think that those factors muddy the waters enough to make it impossible to judge his coaching from this distance.

We've shown glimpses of great potential as recently as the second half of this year. I don't think that would be possible if he was a clueless as some here suggest.

Buckley was a great player but that isn't relevant to me. I'd take the same position if it was Hinkley, Hardwick or Voss - given the same circumstances.

Eddie is no idiot and I suspect he's more ruthless than sentimental. He sees Buckley, the players and the other coaches every day. He sees how they interact, sees how they work together. I don't believe he, or the board for that matter, would watch Rome burn because of some 'man-crush'.

Granted/Agree with injuries over the last 5 years, however,
Hawthorn had injuries if my memory serves me right plus the loss of
Franklin and still managed 3 Grand Final wins and nearly a fourth in a row.

As for the man-crush (that's not far off when you consider credibility as well) and now let's look at the Western Bulldogs going into the Grand Final MINUS Murphy, Adams, Redpath, Wallis, Lin Jong, Suckling, Crameri ALL 1st team players without a doubt and guess what they did? It's very obvious the relationships between Coach and Players at WB vs Collingwood.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:14 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Geek wrote:

Quoted for truth.

True, you have to give up something big, too land something big, and in Treloar we have a bloody ripper, he will romp the Copeland trophy in by the length of the Flemington straight, in his first season. And he got more Brownlow votes than the Bont of the dogggies. Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:40 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Geek wrote:

Quoted for truth.

There was still a bunch of sooking over it.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:47 pm

Geek wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Geek wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Names?!?
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Geek wrote:
CarringbushCigar wrote:
Geek wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Who ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: