Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley "soft generation"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rad 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Research boys, Mourinho had complete buy in with his players over the years, 18 trophies to back it up. My nephew played for him at Inter Milan and said they would have died on the pitch for him and he for them.

Chelsea were a mid table team until he moulded them into the best team in Europe, read what Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Essien, Ivanovic etc etc say he means to them.

Back to topic - man management is as crucial as tactical aptitude, if we don't have both then we are lacking. Does Sanderson have empathy? NO. Let's hope Scott's burns does otherwise we wait for Gubby to wield the axe and start fresh in 2018. I bet you hear all the stories come out then about how great it is to work for a new coach with fresh ideas that backs the boys.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:26 pm

rad wrote:
Research boys, Mourinho had complete buy in with his players over the years, 18 trophies to back it up. My nephew played for him at Inter Milan and said they would have died on the pitch for him and he for them.

Chelsea were a mid table team until he moulded them into the best team in Europe, read what Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Essien, Ivanovic etc etc say he means to them.

Back to topic - man management is as crucial as tactical aptitude, if we don't have both then we are lacking. Does Sanderson have empathy? NO. Let's hope Scott's burns does otherwise we wait for Gubby to wield the axe and start fresh in 2018. I bet you hear all the stories come out then about how great it is to work for a new coach with fresh ideas that backs the boys.

Haha research indeed, Chelsea a mid-table team until he moulded them? I guess the season they finished second to an undefeated Arsenal under Ranieri must have gone under your research radar mate. Wink Chelsea were always on the up after the cash injection.

All those Chelsea players who got him sacked last season must have confused him with someone else then. All those divided dressing rooms he left at each club must be complete coincidences too. Not to mention all the times he throws his players under the bus to the media. Mourinho is a tactical genius but his adversarial man-management methods and his general c**tiness wear extremely thin everywhere he goes and always result in a premature departure.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 am

This is the question hanging over Buckley, is he able to adapt to the needs of different players, or is he a tunnel-visioned disciplinarian without the ability to see the value of different approaches and personalities?

If the latter is the case how is it that Swan was able to thrive under Buckley?

If it was clear cut failure then I think he would've been ditched before now. I'm not foolish enough to think that Eddie would risk tarnishing his reputation, he will want to leave a legacy. If Buckley was obviously poor then I think the Pres would throw him under the bus in a second.

Those on the inside are the only ones who really have the full picture on Bucks and his relationship with the players. I doubt there could be any serious player discontent without the club power brokers knowing about it.

The club obviously thinks that Buckley is capable and that injuries are a big factor in our performances this year.

The press may be falling over themselves to paint the Dogs as the heroic victims of injuries, but that's bulltish, Fremantle and Collingwood were the most affected by injuries this year, with obvious results.

If the club's honest appraisal is that Buckley is a good coach and that our performances have been impacted by other factors, then it's their duty to stay the course.

If they change course and sack Buckley in the next twelve months, then we'd be right to wonder how it could take so long for them to realise that he's not the right man?

For the time being I'm backing the club to get it right. These are smart people with a great track record. They have my full support.

If they get it wrong, I'll form a lynch mob with the rest of you. Smile
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:27 am

Did we ever get a link to the comments ?
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Did a search and I couldn't find anything.
Unless there is a link to the article, assume that it's been made up.

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Redlight wrote:
This is the question hanging over Buckley, is he able to adapt to the needs of different players, or is he a tunnel-visioned disciplinarian without the ability to see the value of different approaches and personalities?

If it was clear cut failure then I think he would've been ditched before now. I'm not foolish enough to think that Eddie would risk tarnishing his reputation, he will want to leave a legacy. If Buckley was obviously poor then I think the Pres would throw him under the bus in a second.

Those on the inside are the only ones who really have the full picture on Bucks and his relationship with the players. I doubt there could be any serious player discontent without the club power brokers knowing about it.

The club obviously thinks that Buckley is capable and that injuries are a big factor in our performances this year.

The press may be falling over themselves to paint the Dogs as the heroic victims of injuries, but that's bulltish, Fremantle and Collingwood were the most affected by injuries this year, with obvious results.

If the club's honest appraisal is that Buckley is a good coach and that our performances have been impacted by other factors, then it's their duty to stay the course.

If they change course and sack Buckley in the next twelve months, then we'd be right to wonder how it could take so long for them to realise that he's not the right man?

For the time being I'm backing the club to get it right. These are smart people with a great track record. They have my full support.

How would you rate Bucks after 5 years based on your first question?

Based on your 3rd sentence about clear cut when talking about Bucks and Eddie reputation etc, let me put it another way. If the coach at the beginning of 2012 was Rhode, Neeld, Knights, McCartney, Watters, Leppitsch, Primus, Sanderson, Voss, take Hardwick as well - Do you think that anyone of these guys would've lasted into 2017 after year on year of going backwards? You think Eddie and board would've allowed that? or even the Supporters?

The Drooge 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:03 pm
Post subject: Id RatherReply with quote

Much prefer a team of professionals (Hawthorn), than the emotional Dogs (history, do it for Bob). This generation is soft but in elite environments they are ruthless and that is want our team to be.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:57 pm
Post subject: Re: Id RatherReply with quote

The Drooge wrote:
Much prefer a team of professionals (Hawthorn), than the emotional Dogs (history, do it for Bob). This generation is soft but in elite environments they are ruthless and that is want our team to be.

Just a translation from the dd book of basics.

This generation have been pampered and made to believe they are little gods and goddesses.

They expect things to fall into their lap, provided by their elders who they regard as expendable. When this mana fails to materialize they hang their lower lips and pout.

But give them the slightest edge and opportunity to cause pain or humilation and they are absolutely ruthless.

The worst of all words.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:30 pm

Redlight wrote:

We will keep a warm spot for you in the lynch mob Redlight.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:15 pm

Jeeesus, I recall my Generation were called "Long haired, layabout hippies, high on dope, head banging bunch of lazy stoned, leftist commies " By the media of that day, and by holier than thou commentators. Every Gen cops shit from the previous one, now we Baby Boomers cop flak from kids today, just part of the cycle. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:44 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Jeeesus, I recall my Generation were called "Long haired, layabout hippies, high on dope, head banging bunch of lazy stoned, leftist commies " By the media of that day, and by holier than thou commentators. Every Gen cops shit from the previous one, now we Baby Boomers cop flak from kids today, just part of the cycle. !

We good to see you proved them right PC Laughing Laughing Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:58 pm

What a stupid thread.

In my day .....We did it tougher etc etc.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Must be time for the 4 Yorkshire men.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:29 pm

watt price tully wrote:
What a stupid thread.

In my day .....We did it tougher etc etc.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Must be time for the 4 Yorkshire men.

Ah that explains my Yorkshire born father! Tales of fixing tractors in the snow lying on a wheat sack!

Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:03 am

BEAMER09 wrote:
Redlight wrote:

Based on your 3rd sentence about clear cut when talking about Bucks and Eddie reputation etc, let me put it another way. If the coach at the beginning of 2012 was Rhode, Neeld, Knights, McCartney, Watters, Leppitsch, Primus, Sanderson, Voss, take Hardwick as well - Do you think that anyone of these guys would've lasted into 2017 after year on year of going backwards? You think Eddie and board would've allowed that? or even the Supporters?

During his five years we've suffered the worst, and most sustained, run of injuries to key players that I've ever seen. On top of engaging in a rebuild. I think that those factors muddy the waters enough to make it impossible to judge his coaching from this distance.

We've shown glimpses of great potential as recently as the second half of this year. I don't think that would be possible if he was a clueless as some here suggest.

Buckley was a great player but that isn't relevant to me. I'd take the same position if it was Hinkley, Hardwick or Voss - given the same circumstances.

Eddie is no idiot and I suspect he's more ruthless than sentimental. He sees Buckley, the players and the other coaches every day. He sees how they interact, sees how they work together. I don't believe he, or the board for that matter, would watch Rome burn because of some 'man-crush'.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:07 am

Redlight wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:
Redlight wrote:

During his five years we've suffered the worst, and most sustained, run of injuries to key players that I've ever seen. On top of engaging in a rebuild. I think that those factors muddy the waters enough to make it impossible to judge his coaching from this distance.

We've shown glimpses of great potential as recently as the second half of this year. I don't think that would be possible if he was a clueless as some here suggest.

Buckley was a great player but that isn't relevant to me. I'd take the same position if it was Hinkley, Hardwick or Voss - given the same circumstances.

Eddie is no idiot and I suspect he's more ruthless than sentimental. He sees Buckley, the players and the other coaches every day. He sees how they interact, sees how they work together. I don't believe he, or the board for that matter, would watch Rome burn because of some 'man-crush'.

This is one of the most intelligent posts I have seen in the few months I have been reading this board. Well done Redlight.

Last edited by mooretreloar on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: