Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley "soft generation"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The coach should be a motivator and also have the respect of players that's why sir Alex was successful he was an uncompromising sob he had a hard edge
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:41 pm

rad wrote:
What does the context matter in this case. He is bagging an entire generation and then asking them to buy memberships or play for him. Either way the insight into his thinking is evident.

Bucks might be a great tactical coach and media performer however he doesn't gave nan management as the best do.

Clarkson, Bevo, Klopp, Mourinho, Malthouse, Fergison etc. Their teams would die for them on the park.

Do you get this feeling from Bucks? I want a coach the players would go to war for not with.

Jesus, it's a 1 liner and an actually pretty accurate generalist observation of kids these days. It's a long bow to distill everything you claim from that.
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:00 am
Post subject: Re: Buckley "soft generation"Reply with quote

rad wrote:
In the HS today page 17 Bucks called the current generation "soft" who want to do "just enough" and "minimum" at a speaking event.

I do agree to some extent however afl teams pick these kids up at 17, take them from home and in my view are a large part responsible for shaping them.

This proves to me that he doesn't have the players following him. Why have we not heard any players leaving the Bulldogs since Luke has been there? Why are the Bulldogs, who are the same generation, the hardest working team for each other and their coach I have ever witnessed?

This speaking engagement shows the difference of a coach who wants to blame others versus one that has empathy and knows how to get buy in.

If the Holden centre facilities has made the players feel entitled and doing the minimum, perhaps it's time for a new coach and some recruits who come from battler homes rather than silver spoon toffs.

I was one to back Bucks however this article is the nail and in his own words and views.

PS. We had Luke at CFC and he barracks for us. Now he is taking Cloke and the assistant coach we just parted with. It will be interesting to follow their careers next season.

That is up there with one of the most rediculous things I've head all year.
Seriously???

Come on mate.

daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:10 am

Even at local footy level I remember playing under several coaches with completely different styles.
Won a flag in Broome under a very demanding coach with an unsympathetic approach. At the end of the day you've got to get the ball, keep it off the opposition and score more. To say all people need a coach that hugs them and shares his medal with them ignores the typical traits of people that choose to play this game.
It all came together for the Dogs this finals series and LB is getting idolised by the faithful from the west and a few others. But they had a bit of luck along the way too. No bye, maybe no Bullies.
If we get a reasonable run with injuries this year, combined with another years experience into the very young players that were blooded, we're going to see a dangerous team that will challenge anyone.
There's a contract in place, we're due for a bit of luck. 2017, I'm looking forward to it. The players played out 2016 to the last minute, they look like they respond to Bucks to me. I believe they're looking forward to 2017 too.

PS Lin Jong isn't feeling enough warm fuzzies to stay in his cosy kennel, I bet there's others who'll have better careers elsewhere than Footscray. Pennies worth.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:15 am

And then what happened.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:19 am

This sounds like something Malcolm Turnbull would have waffled on in a doorstop interview.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:16 am

Buckley is correct about the ME generation. As far as modern day coaching goes you have to be a player manager. It's a balancing act and it looks like Bevo has that balance. Gone are the days when Slug was coaching me and the abuse just rolled off the tongue so easily. Now it's PC rolled in with helicopter parenting along with talcum powder to polish their nuts. The modern day footballer cannot cope being told he is a squib.

Some players are just soft and kudos to Buckley he turned Jane back into Tarzan (J White).
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:50 am

Culprit wrote:
Buckley is correct about the ME generation. As far as modern day coaching goes you have to be a player manager. It's a balancing act and it looks like Bevo has that balance. Gone are the days when Slug was coaching me and the abuse just rolled off the tongue so easily. Now it's PC rolled in with helicopter parenting along with talcum powder to polish their nuts. The modern day footballer cannot cope being told he is a squib.

Some players are just soft and kudos to Buckley he turned Jane back into Tarzan (J White).

Probably not so much talcum powder given the impending class action against Johnson & Johnson which alleges links to cancer
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:33 am

Bucks will no doubt be blamed if Trump becomes President, the recent storms, and the North Korea missile testing.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:43 am

jackcass wrote:
rad wrote:
What does the context matter in this case. He is bagging an entire generation and then asking them to buy memberships or play for him. Either way the insight into his thinking is evident.

Bucks might be a great tactical coach and media performer however he doesn't gave nan management as the best do.

Clarkson, Bevo, Klopp, Mourinho, Malthouse, Fergison etc. Their teams would die for them on the park.

Do you get this feeling from Bucks? I want a coach the players would go to war for not with.

Jesus, it's a 1 liner and an actually pretty accurate generalist observation of kids these days. It's a long bow to distill everything you claim from that.

This. We are seeing the second generation moving through schools now. No surprise they turn up at AFL clubs despite the vetting processes.

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:13 pm

rad wrote:

Laughing Yeah, that's why he lasts three years max at all his clubs until the players decide they've had a gut full right?

Back on topic, I do find it rather ironic that a one liner about a soft young generation has lead to a hilarious overreaction and hysteria from posters on an internet forum who I am assuming are mostly from an older demographic.
4everpies 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 pm

King Malta wrote:
rad wrote:

Laughing Yeah, that's why he lasts three years max at all his clubs until the players decide they've had a gut full right?

Back on topic, I do find it rather ironic that a one liner about a soft young generation has lead to a hilarious overreaction and hysteria from posters on an internet forum who I am assuming are mostly from an older demographic.

Exactly, very bad examples. He has been kicked out of all his past clubs by the players Laughing Laughing

...and not too sure MM had the players love at the scum, especially during his record breaking game against us.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:36 pm

4everpies wrote:
King Malta wrote:
rad wrote:

Exactly, very bad examples. He has been kicked out of all his past clubs by the players Laughing Laughing

...and not too sure MM had the players love at the scum, especially during his record breaking game against us.

Yeah, that was disgraceful.

To be fair, whilst I have my issues with Bucks, I think people who claim he's a terrible man manager who none of the players are happy to get behind are really basing it on nothing more than rumors and hearsay from his playing days. None of us actually know what goes on within the club and probably won't until such time as Buckley moves on (whether that's soon or later).

Personally, I'm more inclined to judge simply on results, and I feel we've been underwhelming but was encouraged by some of improvement and performances in the second half of this season. Still, next season is finals or bust for me.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:41 pm

King Malta wrote:
rad wrote:

We at Collingwood like to eat our young.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Kentucky Fried Children?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: