Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lessons from the GF

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest lesson is that it doesn’t take long to turn a club around.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Watch our handballing in the last game against the Hawks and you will see our foundation is there.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Cam wrote:
Watch our handballing in the last game against the Hawks and you will see our foundation is there.

Thanks, will look at this game again.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:50 pm

Interesting that the 4 coaches in AFL and NRL finals this weekend
all had served long apprenticeships in their respective codes.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:12 pm

The NRL pre-game entertainment shits all over the AFL one.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:28 pm

1. 25 beats 22
2. Mitchell's skills are poor. Missed many targets. Glad he is rumoured to be off to Whoreks and not us;
3. Drug use isn't only a problem for players. It can be the only reason for Boyd not being voted BOG;
4. Although they have drafting advantages, Sydney's ability to renew without dropping far is unknown. Someone before mentioned that they will need to rebuild. They are in the midst of a rebuild and performed very well;
5. Commentators should commentate not barrack;
6. The bye should be abolished.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:35 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Personally, I thought the GF was the ugliest GF I have ever seen, just one big tackle and scragg fest, the dogs, scraggers, are very well named. The dogs play with manic pressure and manic frenzy, frenetic, and Beveridge has learnt from his tutor at the Hawks, Clarko, how to push the boundaries and bend the rules as far as a team can go, he has taken the hawks unsociable footy to a whole new level of unsocialbility, hes upped the ante. Despite all their head high tackles and dragging player down by legs etc, they get a dream run from the umpires too, 17-4 free kicks at one stage late in the game, and they lead the comp in frees for. I don't begrudge them the flag, but it was still a very ugly and scraggng game, I love GFs like the 2010 draw, fast and open play, long kicking, skills, high marks, deft passing.
But now the dogs have set the pace, it looks as if all other sides must now adopt that scragging manic game to get to their level, similar to how teams adopted the Eade and Roos Flood thing, some years ago.
The dogs have set the benchmark, and I guess we must follow, I can see season 2017 being one long scragg frest of footy, but that's how it must be I guess.

This. My main takeaway is that the game is now like rugby, and in urgent need of reform. It is ugly, congested, and mostly played at ground level rather than in the open and in the air as it was designed to be. The dogs mastered this as they have few big men and a host of ground-ball scrappers. i hope the league will experiment with fewer players on the field, rigorous enforcement against interference in marking contests, and a reduction in the rewards for tackling as opposed to getting the ball. I think we will be good in 2017 but it'll be Ina game that is becoming less and less attractive to watch.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:29 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Cam wrote:

Thanks, will look at this game again.

The last 10 minutes shows some good examples, minus the last two minutes Embarassed

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Personally, I thought the GF was the ugliest GF I have ever seen, just one big tackle and scragg fest, the dogs, scraggers, are very well named. The dogs play with manic pressure and manic frenzy, frenetic, and Beveridge has learnt from his tutor at the Hawks, Clarko, how to push the boundaries and bend the rules as far as a team can go, he has taken the hawks unsociable footy to a whole new level of unsocialbility, hes upped the ante. Despite all their head high tackles and dragging player down by legs etc, they get a dream run from the umpires too, 17-4 free kicks at one stage late in the game, and they lead the comp in frees for. I don't begrudge them the flag, but it was still a very ugly and scraggng game, I love GFs like the 2010 draw, fast and open play, long kicking, skills, high marks, deft passing.
But now the dogs have set the pace, it looks as if all other sides must now adopt that scragging manic game to get to their level, similar to how teams adopted the Eade and Roos Flood thing, some years ago.
The dogs have set the benchmark, and I guess we must follow, I can see season 2017 being one long scragg frest of footy, but that's how it must be I guess.

This. My main takeaway is that the game is now like rugby, and in urgent need of reform. It is ugly, congested, and mostly played at ground level rather than in the open and in the air as it was designed to be. The dogs mastered this as they have few big men and a host of ground-ball scrappers. i hope the league will experiment with fewer players on the field, rigorous enforcement against interference in marking contests, and a reduction in the rewards for tackling as opposed to getting the ball. I think we will be good in 2017 but it'll be Ina game that is becoming less and less attractive to watch.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this,because I thought it was an incredibly ugly game to watch as well.It was just an endless succession of rolling mauls and scrums,not the game I grew up with and loved.The only thing that saved the game was the closeness of the scores and fairytale of the bulldogs winning after so many years.But while people keep watching the game in their millions on tv,i guess the A.F.L won't do anything about it,and will continue to let the game deteriorate as a spectacle.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:04 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

I'm glad someone else mentioned this,because I thought it was an incredibly ugly game to watch as well.It was just an endless succession of rolling mauls and scrums,not the game I grew up with and loved.The only thing that saved the game was the closeness of the scores and fairytale of the bulldogs winning after so many years.But while people keep watching the game in their millions on tv,i guess the A.F.L won't do anything about it,and will continue to let the game deteriorate as a spectacle.

Nailed it perfectly, my thoughts precisely. Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:06 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
The NRL pre-game entertainment shits all over the AFL one.

Could you please post such comments in the sports bar. Talking about the NRL has no place in GD.

GD is for direct Collingwood discussions only. Such as some of the threads going on recently.

Please post your concerns in General Feedback where all your friendly suggestions will be looked at after about 37 or so months. Thank you.

<Mod edit: All complaints in writing through the prescribed channels, thank you - bbmods team>

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:15 pm

slangman wrote:

Ive kind of always felt that.

Look at the Pies in 1999; Wooden Spooners. 3 years later we were a goal and a half away from being Premiers.

You do need a lot of things to go right, but it can be done, clearly.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:49 pm

Presti35 wrote:
slangman wrote:

Ive kind of always felt that.

Look at the Pies in 1999; Wooden Spooners. 3 years later we were a goal and a half away from being Premiers.

You do need a lot of things to go right, but it can be done, clearly.

Depends when you start. We were crap from 1993 onward, and gradually built draft credits through the second half of the nineties. By 99 we were ready for take-off, but the turnaround started from about 1997, I think. It takes about four or five years to rebuild properly. Smart coaches know when to get in and when to get out.

Big T 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:07 am

Throwing the ball is encouraged, as is scooping it backwards through your legs.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Big T wrote:
Throwing the ball is encouraged, as is scooping it backwards through your legs.

Oh man hey, did that not piss you off! And the leg chops! My bloody hubby came home saying someone said they were chucking the ball and ducking, what a load of sour bulkshit he says, both me and junior shot him down in flames! YOU DIDNT EVEN WATCH THE GAME!

Not bullshit, just kudus for legal cheating, learnt from the ducking cats and the brawling cheap shot Hawks!

Funny ain't it! We got new rules to stop our press and other things and that shit is ok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: