Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies have offered Brent Harvey 1 year deal with an option

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Pies will end up with the player games record.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:22 pm

The guy is still fast and quick, has great disposal, good kick, and boots goals, oh but in the eyes of the doomsayers, we don't need a guy like that ???? We have just lost a swag of experience players, or don't they consider that absolute fact ?? I can see no damn harm in this, he is a leader and would be an inspiration too our army of kids. Great news. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:25 pm

feKKo wrote:
Not sure how you think he wasn't playing well at the end of the season.

Round 22 - 32 Disposals 3 Goals 2
Round 23 - 26 Disposals 2 Goals 1

Even tho they lost those games you cant say that he was playing badly.

Fasolo was the only player on our list that Averaged more goals per game this season.

Those damn facts. always getting in the way!

And Cigar man, you dismiss the role that getting Harvey had on wells decision because you say the wells deal is locked up. but you have no idea whether or not the pies gave him assurances that they would also be taking Harvey. seems odd he would chose the pies and that we would mysteriously go after Boomer. I think you must be smoking something other than a cigar if you think they are mutually exclusive matters.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 pm

I agree. I thought it was rather odd, too.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 pm

The old cigar man spends 98% of his time on here knocking and ridiculing everything the club does, the Board does, a perpetual doomsayer who never has anything positive to say about the club, ever. Rolling Eyes

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:55 pm

I don't support this one. Wells: yes, Mayne: yes, Boomer: no. If he does come over I expect it'd be more of a mentoring segueing into coaching role, I just don't see it helping us over much.

It's also out of step with Buckley's "effort over everything" approach - that should buoy some of his critics Wink. Boomer will not help our forward 50 pressure and having a smaller player that doesn't pressure well is a big weakness.

I just can't see this happening. Some small chance as a low cost coaching/playing role I guess. We do desperately need wise, experienced heads at the club, it's the only thing preventing us from being a serious top 4 chance.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:59 pm

^^ WE are losing a lot of experienced players, swan and cloke etc, etc, this can only help, we cant be just all mainly kids.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:00 pm

If he did come to the Pies or anyone else he could overtrain in an attempt to prove himself at his new club. One old man injury and it would be curtains ala Dustin Fletcher's last year.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:08 pm

Does a guy who has played as many games as Des Tuddenham - and then gone on to have another entire career on top of that really need to prove anything to anybody?
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:18 pm

I like the idea of boomer joining us for a year in a development type role. He's still playing great footy and would add valuable experience to our young developing midfield. He's tough at the contest and knows how to kick a goal or two so how can that be a bad thing... As for this fear that he'll be taking a spot from one of our young players, I don't agree, look at it more like a mentoring role. He's the sort of player we need roaming the packs and feeding off a contest. A midfield consisting of Pendles, Treloar, Adams, Sidearse, Crisp and Boomer sounds pretty good to me. Chuck Wells in as a roaming half forward and we've got ourselves a pretty good team.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Does a guy who has played as many games as Des Tuddenham - and then gone on to have another entire career on top of that really need to prove anything to anybody?

Pride and human nature dude. You ever changed jobs/workplaces?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Only possible positive here is: Boomer's 2016 was definitely good enough to be on our list, he was at times the Roos best or most damaging player. It's difficult to see it happening again in 2017, though I would have said the same after around 2012-2013 and every year after.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Can understand the logic but I'd prefer we looked elsewhere
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:38 pm

jackcass wrote:
Can understand the logic but I'd prefer we looked elsewhere

I doubt this happens. If it does, it will be after looking everywhere else and not finding a better option. Harvey will be cheap and won't require us giving up anything. There's no one else better from a cost outlay perspective. If he plays close to his 2016 form he does make us better next year and adds experience that we definitely need.

I'm not for it, but also not strongly against it. Can't see that it really hurts us and has a decent chance of making us better, even if it's hard to believe that a 39 year old could still play at AFL level.

For me, it's more of a "vibe" thing. I'd much prefer to see Harvey as a one club player. It's happening more and more but I don't like seeing club stars booted out of their club and then finishing elsewhere.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:24 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Only possible positive here is: Boomer's 2016 was definitely good enough to be on our list, he was at times the Roos best or most damaging player. It's difficult to see it happening again in 2017, though I would have said the same after around 2012-2013 and every year after.

Boomer's 2016 was better than our Cloke, Toovey, Macaffer, Williams, Brown, Goodyear and Langdon, but I still don't want him on our list. The great man should retire as a one club player. If he wants to come to Collingwood in a mentoring role that's another story. For the moment, Wells and Mayne are good pickups which will cost us only their salaries. For North supporters next year watching Boomer in Collingwood colours is like Collingwood supporters watching Peter MacKenna in Carlton colours. It didn't work out for MacKenna and it won't work for Boomer.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: