Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies have offered Brent Harvey 1 year deal with an option

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Might secure Wells? You must be joking.

Wells is a done deal.
No player could refuse the offer, and no club could come close to matching it.

So forget that aspect.

Did you watch any football in 2016.
Harvey was a liability.

North got that sick of his selfishness about his contract, they had to virtually sacrifice a longshot chance at the flag to set the right culture.

I can understand signing some of these blokes up for a year in a last desperate chance to save Buckley's ass, but there are 2 problems:
1. They are the wrong blokes,
2. The deals are too long

In the likelihood that our culture will be further eroded by introducing Mayne on a huge deal, Wells on a huge deal, and one of the most selfish/oldest/hungriest players to play the game (breath) whilst at the same time tossing aside Cloke Browny Marley and whoever else.

It will diminish our chances to land a half decent coach for 2017 whilst he has all this junk to clean up.

If our targets were say Wells for 2, Hoskin-Elliott, Marchbank and say Bartel or Enright for a year I'd be thrilled.

But Mayne and Harvey come on.
Get a grip peoples.

The only upside is this will ensure some large internal carnage sooner rather than later. Bucks won't survive the year.

Last edited by CarringbushCigar on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

doriswilgus wrote:
No,he's too old.He's almost as old as I am,and I went to school with God.

I bet you wouldn't have the guts to say that to his wife at the Eltham MCDonalds
Joel Capricorn

GreekLunatic wrote:
Someone is trying to save his career

I posed this question on Bigfooty too. Ask yourself, is there a better crumbing forward option available to us at the moment? I no, then what is the harm? If yes, please tell us who it is.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:53 pm

think positive wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
No,he's too old.He's almost as old as I am,and I went to school with God.

Hehehe love it!

Thanks.Sometimes I do feel that old. Smile
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 pm

Unsure what all the uproar is with us recruiting a few experienced players that still have good football to play. We have 34 players aged 25 or younger on our list. Goldsack is currently the oldest on our list and will be 29 when 2017 begins. We then have half a dozen or so players that will be 28 when 2017 begins. Namely Pendles, White, Greenwood, Varcoe, Reid and Brown.
Personally, I think Harvey would be another player on the list to set a great example for our young players about the preparation required to become an elite AFL player.

Mr Cigar - laughing stock? Only with people that believe what is written in the media. Another example of people forming opinions because journalists tell them what their opinion should be. I have had over 10 conversations with non-Collingwood supporters re this and as soon as you tell them we have no players on our list older than 29, on all occasions their response is immediately I didn't know that and it is a great idea to recruit some experienced players.
Greeny2968 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 pm

Better value than Blair.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:00 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Might secure Wells? You must be joking.

Wells is a done deal.
No player could refuse the offer, and no club could come close to matching it.

So forget that aspect.

Did you watch any football in 2016.
Harvey was a liability.

North got that sick of his selfishness about his contract, they had to virtually sacrifice a longshot chance at the flag to set the right culture.

I can understand signing some of these blokes up for a year in a last desperate chance to save Buckley's ass, but there are 2 problems:
1. They are the wrong blokes,
2. The deals are too long

In the likelihood that our culture will be further eroded by introducing Mayne on a huge deal, Wells on a huge deal, and one of the most selfish/oldest/hungriest players to play the game (breath) whilst at the same time tossing aside Cloke Browny Marley and whoever else.

It will diminish our chances to land a half decent coach for 2017 whilst he has all this junk to clean up.

If our targets were say Wells for 2, Hoskin-Elliott, Marchbank and say Bartel or Enright for a year I'd be thrilled.

But Mayne and Harvey come on.
Get a grip peoples.

The only upside is this will ensure some large internal carnage sooner rather than later. Bucks won't survive the year.

Mr Cigar I think you are just scared that Bucks is going to shoot your argument that he can't coach out of the water. As I have posted before, we are a top 6 side in 2017, with a reasonable run with injuries, without making 1 chance to our list. These experienced players can only help.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:04 am

inxs88 wrote:
Oh well I got in before the ambulance chaser!!!

Yes you seem to get some good mail. It's good to read something that is actually fact. So well done inxs88, it's going to be an interesting trade period and hopefully a lot better 2017.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 am

Joel wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:

I posed this question on Bigfooty too. Ask yourself, is there a better crumbing forward option available to us at the moment? I no, then what is the harm? If yes, please tell us who it is.

Wasn't Papley a rookie?
What do we have a recruiting department for?

Leaving out Brown and Daicos, how are Broomhead Fasolo Elliott Crocker Blair Mayne White and Moore fitting into the same forward line with Sidey and Varcoe rotating through.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:09 am

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Joel wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:

Wasn't Papley a rookie?
What do we have a recruiting department for?

Leaving out Brown and Daicos, how are Broomhead Fasolo Elliott Crocker Blair Mayne White and Moore fitting into the same forward line with Sidey and Varcoe rotating through.

Harvey is a known known, draft picks and how they will actually play are unknowns.

If they are good enough they will get games, if not it's the VFL until they are ready.

Broomhead, Elliot and Fasolo are regularly injured and Blair isn't offering enough at the moment.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:23 am

It gives us some experience, and if you add into it some mentoring of the younger players it cannot surely hurt. If he fails at Collingwood he fails, but at least he brings some experience and can offer useful advice.

It's only going to cost us his salary really. I guess we wait and see.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:27 am

There is not a lot of data on how 39yo players perform after changing clubs.
Known known - gimme a break.

What I know is Harvey was not playing well at season's end.
What I know is he put his club into a difficult position on the eve of the finals, his manager admits this.
What I know is Harvey has hardly been the greatest team player over his career, no wonder Buck's thinks he will get along with him and make a great assistant coach.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:33 am

Just have to wait and see how this plays out, still a chance that he will pull the pin on his career. It's a bit of a risky move, but if he can play a few good games and give some useful advice to help along a few at the club it cannot be too bad.

Club is doing what they think is best for the list, I guess, just have to let it play out and let them accept the blame if it blows up in their faces.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:08 am

Bucks2014 wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Oh well I got in before the ambulance chaser!!!

Yes you seem to get some good mail. It's good to read something that is actually fact. So well done inxs88, it's going to be an interesting trade period and hopefully a lot better 2017.

Cheers, I guess the hands of a clock are right twice a day Smile

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:14 am

Joel wrote:
Did anyone manage to see the picture?

This is 1st I heard of Such a Picture

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: