Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Under 18 All Star Game

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:57 pm
Post subject: Under 18 All Star GameReply with quote

Watching this on Fox.
Josh Daicos excellent in the first quarter. Great peripheral vision, decision making and skills.
Callum Brown also very good. Good leg speed, loves the contest and has made good decisions.
Looking to having both these boys on our list in 2017.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps they'll get Rising Star nominations like Barham did?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

We can only hope they're at least half as good.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:23 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I have been told by a number of people that I am the most sarcastic person they have encountered. I think that you have me covered on that score. Kudos.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:24 pm

Interestingly, Daicos played midfield for the last half of that quarter. Played most of the 1st half as a high half forward. From what I have read so far about him, it has been he is a crumbing forward, so it is good to see he has other strings to his bow. Very impressed with is balance, vision and skill.

Brown had the better quarter that quarter of the two of them. Runs strongly both ways, uses the ball very well and hard at the contest.

This game is the for the 46 players with the most nominations for the draft combine, so it is the best of the best of the 2016 draft pool. Both boys are acquitting themselves very well.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:36 pm

Callum Brown ended up with 20 possessions in the 80 minute game. His work rate is exemplary on both the offensive and defensive side. He can play games at AFL level next year. Uses the ball well off both feet.

Not 100% sure how many touches Josh Daicos had, but would have thought it was around 16. The touches he had were all class. Like his Dad if you didn't know he was a right footer, you would be hard pressed working out if he was a left or right footer. His ability to pick the right option and then execute was elite. Also, a low centre of gravity like his Dad, meaning his balance is great. Also, can play games at AFL level next year.

We will be able to get one of them with our first pick and will use the pick we get for Witts or Williams and our 3rd pick to get the other. Another two reasons to be very excited about where our young side is going.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:43 pm

Josh has a great teacher in his old man. Not one bit big headed. Just don't expect miracles from him next year.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Josh has a great teacher in his old man. Not one bit big headed. Just don't expect miracles from him next year.

Agree, Brown looked the more 'ready-made' player in that game. Daicos looked like the one with the more potential to keep improving.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:50 pm

mooretreloar wrote:
Callum Brown ended up with 20 possessions in the 80 minute game. His work rate is exemplary on both the offensive and defensive side. He can play games at AFL level next year. Uses the ball well off both feet.

Not 100% sure how many touches Josh Daicos had, but would have thought it was around 16. The touches he had were all class. Like his Dad if you didn't know he was a right footer, you would be hard pressed working out if he was a left or right footer. His ability to pick the right option and then execute was elite. Also, a low centre of gravity like his Dad, meaning his balance is great. Also, can play games at AFL level next year.

We will be able to get one of them with our first pick and will use the pick we get for Witts or Williams and our 3rd pick to get the other. Another two reasons to be very excited about where our young side is going.

You rate them more highly than many others do- or has their form improved recently ?
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:59 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:

You rate them more highly than many others do- or has their form improved recently ?

The 2016 draft is supposed to be very even and deep. Most draft experts say that anyone in the first 40 picks will have good AFL careers.
Callum Brown was All Australian under 18, so not sure why others don't rate him.
Josh Daicos has been a late maturer from what I have read about him. From what I saw today, he has that Pendles like ability to make time stop and also see options other players don't. He has some way to go, but he was rated in the top 46 players in the country to get a gig in the game.
All draft experts indicate that both boys are rated in the pick 30 to 40 range on their draft boards.
I back in our development team to further improve both teams.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:57 pm

History is littered with U18 AAs who end up rookie picks or get overlooked altogether so not sure that's a reliable predictor. All we need is for both to slip past our current 2nd round bid. Our current 3rd would be even better. I haven't had the opportunity to discuss their prospects with all the AFL drafter experts so I'll take your word for it.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:00 pm

^

Daicos didn't play TAC last year and limited games this year so he hasn't had a lot of sightings.

Good.

I can't see us passing on either of these kids

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:05 pm

If Josh is 1/4 of the player that his old man was - and many seem to believe he is much better than that - he will have a great career.

From all reports - he is so dual sided it's impossible to pick his preferred side, elite vision, elite disposal.

What more do you want in kid??
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:07 pm

jackcass wrote:
History is littered with U18 AAs who end up rookie picks or get overlooked altogether so not sure that's a reliable predictor. All we need is for both to slip past our current 2nd round bid. Our current 3rd would be even better. I haven't had the opportunity to discuss their prospects with all the AFL drafter experts so I'll take your word for it.

Fair call jackcass, not basing my opinion on whether Brown can play on whether he was AA or not. Basing my opinion on what I saw and what I saw must have been observed by the AA selectors. Best thing I liked about him was his work rate both offensively and defensively, players that do that are likely to succeed.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:08 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
If Josh is 1/4 of the player that his old man was - and many seem to believe he is much better than that - he will have a great career.

From all reports - he is so dual sided it's impossible to pick his preferred side, elite vision, elite disposal.

What more do you want in kid??

This is what I observed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: