Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leading Teams finally given the flick. Good riddance.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Look the meat of the so called 'discontent' is mid level player nervousness at getting dropped.

Hello . . . .

That is what mid level players have always been.

With those that have the balls to make it at AFL level it causes them the harden the f*ck up.

Those that will never make it start looking for excuses.

LT or no LT this will never change, it's what building a robust and reliable list is all about.

The only difference is with LT it's apparently out in the open instead of behind closed doors or behind a person's back.

I sub contracted to a company years ago, it had two principal partners. The first bloke was a 'Hail fellow, well met' type who made everyone feel good in person. Behind your back though he would tear you down relentlessly.

The second principal was a real hard nose type, If you screwed the pooch he would be in your face letting you know just what he thought about you. However this same bloke sold his personal mini mansion to keep the company afloat when his partner absconded with the company funds.

Give me the hard nose guy every time.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:52 pm
Post subject: Re: Leading Teams finally given the flick. Good riddance.Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I've been waging a campaign for a few years now warning of the damaging effect the Leading Teams consultants were having on our team's morale and spirit. Amongst the management academic community, this junk 'T-Group' methodology has been considered damaging and destructive, since it first appeared as a fad amongst gurus, making a lot of money peddling this rubbish, on the west coast of the US in the 60s.

I have always been concerned that while some players, perhaps even some teams, may respond positively to this mumbo jumbo, there was a greater risk that it would damage team spirit and destroy the confidence of some players.

So I am very pleased to read today that Collingwood has sacked these bozos from our club. This decision has been long over due. I suspect it is a decision made by Gubby Allen, and I look forward to the re-building of our team spirit going forward.

I don't agree with you often Rudeboy (and it isn't personal.. ever), but THANK GOD they are finally gone.
skidmark 

I've still got worms...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:43 pm

ABOUT F*CKING TIME!!!
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:00 pm
Post subject: Re: Leading Teams finally given the flick. Good riddance.Reply with quote

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I've been waging a campaign for a few years now warning of the damaging effect the Leading Teams consultants were having on our team's morale and spirit. Amongst the management academic community, this junk 'T-Group' methodology has been considered damaging and destructive, since it first appeared as a fad amongst gurus, making a lot of money peddling this rubbish, on the west coast of the US in the 60s.

I have always been concerned that while some players, perhaps even some teams, may respond positively to this mumbo jumbo, there was a greater risk that it would damage team spirit and destroy the confidence of some players.

So I am very pleased to read today that Collingwood has sacked these bozos from our club. This decision has been long over due. I suspect it is a decision made by Gubby Allen, and I look forward to the re-building of our team spirit going forward.

I don't agree with you often Rudeboy (and it isn't personal.. ever), but THANK GOD they are finally gone.

It is pleasing to see old adversaries on unity tickets for a change. Smile

Now that you've managed to agree with each other on this one thing, perhaps you can use this newfound goodwill to re-examine your views and agree on other things...? Wink Smile

ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:46 pm

Roos has resurrected 2 clubs based on LT programs, and the Swans won 2 flags and now appearing in their 3 GF under Longmire. They have built a culture that is the envy of the AFL.

Surely LT get a huge vote of confidence based on these results.
And then we add GEEL HAWKS.

So the 3 best performed clubs in the last 10 years have used LT to mould their winning culture and we have people here bagging our use of LT.

NFI
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:00 pm

I personally do not like the concepts that leading teams bring to a club. It would work well for some but I believe to can be quite confronting and destructive to certain personality types. I am glad to see the end of them
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Rudey, what positives can leading teams provide to a organisation / group?

ROB 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 am

I think you may find that some of the philosophy of the LT type companies is to encourage people to speak up and have the courage to do so confident that no one will bag on them, not the contrary that many alluded to in the posts. There are a myriad of similar leadership/cultural change programme companies around - my workplace has used one similarly to great effect where cultural change has occurred to the betterment of the workforce and the company results. If LT failed, it was because personnel did not buy in which may show a lack of maturity or understanding in what the intent of the programme actually was. The fact they have been 'sacked' may also indicate the programme has been a success commensurate with the original aim. We don't know what they were tasked to do nor do we know what the success of the programme looks like. We must remember LT are not footballers; they don't run out and play the game for the players; they don't coach nor do they run the recruiting or football department. I for one am not going to speculate on the success or lack of LT and am amazed any can unless they have much more credible information to share.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 am

Everyone will have their own opinion on these T-Group type consultant processes, based on what we know or our own experience. Therefore, no-one has a right or wrong opinion. Each opinion is informed by our own knowledge, values and/or experience. As a University lecturer teaching MBA students management and leadership, my criticisms of this approach are based solely on my reading of the management academic literature. However, this doesn't make my opinion any more valid than anyone else. I'm the first to admit that I haven't experienced these consultants in a workplace first hand, as others may have, so maybe, as some have suggested, they can have a positive effect.

Sometimes, however, simply having outside or 'external' consultants working with staff in an organisation - regardless of what they are doing - can, in the short term at least, have a positive impact on the place, because it signifies to everyone that change and improvement is being aimed for. This is called the 'Hawthorne effect' - after a series of human relations experiments in the 1950s at the Hawthorne Works (Western electric) factory outside Chicago. The study involved dimming the lights in the factory, which should have worsened productivity, but which had the opposite effect. The study found that simply having outside consultants observing the work led to improvements in productivity because the workers felt valued. This positive effect, however, is more often than not a short term phenomena, which may explain why Leading Teams have now been shown the door.
Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:58 am

This is bloody great news. I'm still grinning.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:01 am

Ok so its

Premiers
2006 - West Coke Eagles
2007 - Leading Teams [Cats]
2008 - Leading Teams [Hawks]
2009 - Leading Teams [Cats]
2010 - Irwin Rommel/Scipio Africanus [Pies]
2011 - Leading Teams [Cats]
2012 - Leading Teams [Swans]
2013 - Leading Teams [Hawks]
2014 - Leading Teams [Hawks]
2015 - Leading Teams [Hawks]
2016 - Leading Teams [Swans] vs Jeff Lebowski [Dogs]

Don't think LT will be too worried about letting us go, but Ray McLean will, given he's a lifelong Pie fan.

Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:37 am

But we are who we are, probably the most professional mob going around and cop the most public scrutiny. We would already have copious amounts of internal policies and procedures modelled on LT and many other learnings. To have the additional 'consultancy' on a regular basis, I reckon risks saturating the environment with mundane crap and increases pressures on the individual. Maybe I'm just old now but they're there to play footy, first and foremost. It's a ying and yang thing, Lebowski would understand.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:49 am

Rush Stand Wing wrote:
But we are who we are, probably the most professional mob going around and cop the most public scrutiny. We would already have copious amounts of internal policies and procedures modelled on LT and many other learnings. To have the additional 'consultancy' on a regular basis, I reckon risks saturating the environment with mundane crap and increases pressures on the individual. Maybe I'm just old now but they're there to play footy, first and foremost. It's a ying and yang thing, Lebowski would understand.

I'm with Lebowski. Cool
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:53 am

I agree. You just need a structure where people feel valued, personally motivated to get the best out of themselves, where there is room in their life to be themselves and switch off and a device for helping improvement towards team goals and adequate rewards for those achievements.

It's like any workplace. People want to feel wanted, want the work to equal rewards and some form of recognition. Some want a public slap on the back to give them security, some want a quiet "well done, you did well".

Insecurity, brickwalls and brickbats will doom any and every organisation, as success is built on relationships, not just hard work.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 am

No wonder Cloke is leaving

Are we really the most professional at the moment? We seem to hit grey spots n the news a little too much

Why has LT worked at the other three clubs so well, what is so different about them?

I have to say that shit where a player is subjected to his peers telling him his faults really irked me, just seems wrong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: