Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Not bye to the end of season bye

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's it, there's no advantage to finishing top 4 anymore.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:59 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^And that's a good thing for mine. The top 4 have been steamrolling tired bottom 4 teams in the finals for too long. Needs to be more competitive.

Given the unprecedented evenness of this year's 8 though, it's very hard to say what role the bye had in both teams with a week off losing.

I dont get this reply at all. Surely there should be some reward for finishing top 4?

Sound like handing out a participation medal to me. I have no problem with that at junior level, but thus is the big time.

Simular note, I hope it's a pisstake but on big footy a bulldog started a thread about the draft! "We finished 7, just because we won we should not drop in the order'. FMD, talk about wanting a rum and coke

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:13 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
The Dogs were awesome this September but you wonder how they would have gone with back to back Perth trips inside 7 days without a bye.

If it stays it gives all teams a chance if you bring your A game in September.

rest some vets in round 22 if you can, then they can play round 21, week off, 23, week off, nicely rested for rnd one of finals.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:31 pm

think positive wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
^^And that's a good thing for mine. The top 4 have been steamrolling tired bottom 4 teams in the finals for too long. Needs to be more competitive.

Given the unprecedented evenness of this year's 8 though, it's very hard to say what role the bye had in both teams with a week off losing.

I dont get this reply at all. Surely there should be some reward for finishing top 4?

Sound like handing out a participation medal to me. I have no problem with that at junior level, but thus is the big time.

Simular note, I hope it's a pisstake but on big footy a bulldog started a thread about the draft! "We finished 7, just because we won we should not drop in the order'. FMD, talk about wanting a rum and coke

Um, the double chance is a pretty huge advantage Confused And they do still get an extra week off if they win. Despite what happened this year, this is not a disadvantage.

The advantage of the week off has been increasing every year as the game becomes ever more physically demanding. It's time the AFL did something about it. I want the eight teams to be near their best in the finals and the bye helps to ensure that. It doesn't disadvantage the top 4, it addresses an advantage that had gotten out of had.

People keep bringing up that the Dogs would never have won the flag if there was no bye. Well, exactly. Because they would have been nowhere near their best. How is that a good thing? Only if all teams are somewhere near their best for the finals can we know how the best is.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:42 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

People keep bringing up that the Dogs would never have won the flag if there was no bye. Well, exactly. Because they would have been nowhere near their best. How is that a good thing? Only if all teams are somewhere near their best for the finals can we know how the best is.

The flip side to that is that the bye disadvantaged WCE.

They were on a roll and beat Adelaide in Adelaide. They lost momentum with the week off and never looked like it against the doggies.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Finishing top 4 still gives you the double chance, so it's a benefit.

This year the top 8, with the exception of the Roos who faded badly, were all extremely close. The Dogs were only a game or two and percentage away from top spot finishing 7th. Normally there's a serious top 2 or 3 teams who stand out, this year was as open as your mother in laws mouth.

Swans got through to the GF having dropped their first final after finishing the H&A season on top and had to win after that to get in, the Dogs had to win in Perth and Sydney against 2 good teams to get through, they also had to knock out last years premiers along the way.

Like every time something new comes in, some clubs struggle at first but they figure it out.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:43 pm

With all this hoo haa about the bye helping the Dogs win the flag, what has been overlooked is that this was the first year for a long time, that there was no stand out team or teams odds on to win the flag. From week one of the finals there were 6 teams considered by many to have a chance at winning the Premiership. The bottom line is the team that finished top of the ladder, got to the grand final, but were beaten by a better team in the Dogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: