Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Documentary on 2010 drawn GF tonight (Channel 7)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't watched it, don't think I will. I don't get any enjoyment out of reliving the draw. All it does is remind me how close we got to screwing the whole thing.

And then people want to talk about the dynasty that should have been but for the handover...

Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:35 pm

BBHS wrote:
I still remember feeling sick in the stands as StKilda came home strong. Feeling like we should have had the game dusted at Half Time. Almost resigned to the fact it was gone. Then....Maxy

That's exactly how I felt. Just this overwhelming feeling of dread.

As for Maxy, well, as Pendles said on the program, that's why he was captain.

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:36 pm

mgh3536 wrote:
Goddard is still a cock!

He's a blue boy fan, enough said.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Maxwell played a great game that day, but he was wrong at the end, had it gone into extra time, I reckon the saints may have pinched it, they seemed fresher. But hey, we played in the last drawn GF ever, yet again we make history, there are those who read about history, there are those who make history.

I agree with you about Maxy. Extra time would have been a disaster, we were just holding on I reckon.

I was relieved when the siren went because I thought they has fired their best shot, with the 3 best players on the ground, and still couldn't win.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I recorded it. I'll sit down to watch it at a time when I'm in the right mood and there's no sharp objects within reach.

Furry walls Stui... furry walls...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:27 pm

piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I recorded it. I'll sit down to watch it at a time when I'm in the right mood and there's no sharp objects within reach.

Excellent point. I'll have to consider that.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Geeee-zuz-H.... I just watched that doco.
The stress and anxiety came flooding back, not from watching the segments of play, but from the look on the faces of the Collingwood supporters, from part way through the third quarter.
The tangible nausea that is watching the tide turn in a grand final, and the unthinkable consequences...

Reckon i'd have to watch Get Him To the Greek dvd, prior to another viewing of the 2010-GF1 draw. Dibs on those furry walls mate...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:26 am

stui magpie wrote:
piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

That's a very nice padded cell that I know of which could be of use to you when you finally decide to take the plunge. Even comes with a complimentary straitjacket... Wink

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:33 am

MagpieBat wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

That's a very nice padded cell that I know of which could be of use to you when you finally decide to take the plunge. Even comes with a complimentary straitjacket... Wink

Or just throw us both in there WITH the Joker, and we'll kick his teeth in FOR You. At no additional charge*

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:04 am

That was excellent even if it had a pro-St.Kilda slant ever so slightly.

Eddie summed up my emotions after the match so well. I also felt a sense of relief, and the feeling that we had dodged a bullet because we were the team on the back foot at the end.

It was strange, but we played nowhere near as good as the first two finals and we were lucky we didn't lose that game so I wasn't as despondent and disappointed as I anticipated.

It makes me shudder to think if we lost both 2010 and 2011. The mentality of the supporter base would be so different today had we not won in 2010 and something mirroring after what older generations would have felt after the shortcomings from 1977 to 1981.

When I saw that little boy who was a Saints supporter crying after the replay, it brought back memories of 2003 when I was a nine-year old and crying my eyes out as Brisbane smashed us and the match was over by half-time so I could empathise with him despite being on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Future generations will only hear our stories and memories of the day, but this match will be etched into footy folklore with years to come. Eddie was spot on about how much this Grand Final gets underestimated (possibly because Collingwood won the replay) as opposed to others that get spoken about to a higher degree.

It was also fascinating hearing what both clubs did after the match. Despite heavy reluctance from the playing group, Eddie was adamant that the players and coaches attend the function at Crown to lift the spirits of a deflated playing group and to give them a new lease of confidence heading into the replay. Ed embarked on a mission to not repeat the mistakes made in 1977. The Saints on the other hand didn't do such a thing but whether this would have made a difference to the result of the replay we will never know.

If the match went to extra time, I don't believe we would have won in all honesty as St.Kilda had all the momentum. When Goddard took that hanger and kicked a goal with about seven minutes I left I thought we had choked in another Grand Final and missed another chance to win a premiership. Thankfully, we survived to live another day but I don't think we would have won in extra time, but I'm sure others have different opinions about this.

Overall, it was great viewing. It certainly brought back many memories from that day which is something we will never see ever again to that magnitude and something that we will never ever forget in our lives.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:39 am

I enjoyed it, could have been a bit more in depth and was more slanted towards the St Kilda miss than a Collingwood win the following week but oh well.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:02 am

eddiesmith wrote:
I enjoyed it, could have been a bit more in depth and was more slanted towards the St Kilda miss than a Collingwood win the following week but oh well.

Pretty much how I felt.

I thought they could have touched a bit more on the Luke Ball saga. That was a massive story to this game and they barely mentioned it.

I thought they could have also touched a little bit on Prestigiacomo's self omission from the team too. That was also big news going into the match.

Perhaps the DVD will share a bit more than what was shown on TV. I mean it was only 40 minutes long. It should be double that.

A bit more Didak would have also been nice! Smile

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:46 am

Presti35 wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:

Pretty much how I felt.

I thought they could have touched a bit more on the Luke Ball saga. That was a massive story to this game and they barely mentioned it.

I thought they could have also touched a little bit on Prestigiacomo's self omission from the team too. That was also big news going into the match.

Perhaps the DVD will share a bit more than what was shown on TV. I mean it was only 40 minutes long. It should be double that.

A bit more Didak would have also been nice! Smile

Agreed. It was a pretty lame doco actually.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 pm

Jezza wrote:
That was excellent even if it had a pro-St.Kilda slant ever so slightly.

Eddie summed up my emotions after the match so well. I also felt a sense of relief, and the feeling that we had dodged a bullet because we were the team on the back foot at the end.

It makes me shudder to think if we lost both 2010 and 2011. The mentality of the supporter base would be so different today had we not won in 2010 and something mirroring after what older generations would have felt after the shortcomings from 1977 to 1981.

When I saw that little boy who was a Saints supporter crying after the replay, it brought back memories of 2003 when I was a nine-year old and crying my eyes out as Brisbane smashed us and the match was over by half-time so I could empathise with him despite being on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Future generations will only hear our stories and memories of the day, but this match will be etched into footy folklore with years to come. Eddie was spot on about how much this Grand Final gets underestimated (possibly because Collingwood won the replay) as opposed to others that get spoken about to a higher degree.

If the match went to extra time, I don't believe we would have won in all honesty as St.Kilda had all the momentum. When Goddard took that hanger and kicked a goal with about seven minutes I left I thought we had choked in another Grand Final and missed another chance to win a premiership. Thankfully, we survived to live another day but I don't think we would have won in extra time, but I'm sure others have different opinions about this.

Overall, it was great viewing. It certainly brought back many memories from that day which is something we will never see ever again to that magnitude and something that we will never ever forget in our lives.

Great summation Jez.
Over time, the drawn 2010GF will eventually be regarded as a classic.

That poor St.Kilda kid can suck it up and learn about pain the same way we all did; they may or may not get another day in the sun in his lifetime.

One could argue with hypotheticals as to which team would have hit the scoreboard more in extra-time; Pendles said he was cooked due to that illness, and had nothing left. So we would have been a player down there.

It's like saying with another 30 seconds, we would have rolled Geelong in the 2007 Prelim [which we would have], and gone on to smash Pork Chowder in that wet grand final the next week. But we'll never know.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:04 pm

I watched it last night and it certainly brought back a taste of the emotions of the day. Seeing that they have changed the rules now, this will never be repeated. My family and I were seated at the back of the Southern Stand and the despair at the end of the game was over powering.

One good thing that came out of this is that the second GF game was dominated by the supporters of both clubs as the corporates had spent their $$$$$'s and there was no time to reload. As a result the average supporter got the opportunity to attend and as such the tribalism and the emotion of the day was magnified.

When I was commuting to the second game I made the mistake of talking to a Saints supporter who had given my wife his seat. In a friendly manner I made the comment that it was anybodies game. He response he told me that the Pies were shit and that we would be annihilated. I saw him at 1/2 time walking up to his seat with a beer with a disappointed look on his face. I asked him "How is it going chump?" but he did not respond. Funny that.

I live in an area that is part of the traditional Saints area. At every opportunity their vile supporters would remind me of the 1 point loss in 66. Funny enough, none of these clowns has ever mentioned it since.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: