Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Documentary on 2010 drawn GF tonight (Channel 7)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember feeling sick in the stands as StKilda came home strong. Feeling like we should have had the game dusted at Half Time. Almost resigned to the fact it was gone. Then....Maxy
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:08 am
Post subject: Re: Documentary on 2010 drawn GF tonight (Channel 7)Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Just thought i'd remind those who weren't aware that at 10 pm tonight on channel 7 there is a documentary about the 2010 drawn GF.

Sh**, I forgot about this.

Magpiefan3 wrote:
Also its on Friday night too encore special at 7:30pm on 7mate

Also, 7am Saturday Oct. 1 on 7mate.

I'll try to get my family to record it for me. (I'm out of town.)
I'm not familiar with these extra channels, but i) I assume everyone should be able to view it, although ii) there seem to have been some complaints in the past about the quality of the reception on 7mate.

Guess what the very first program broadcast on 7mate was...
Drumroll...

The drawn 2010 AFL Grand Final.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:00 am

Hope someone can put it up on youtube, for those of us deprived of the joys of Melbourne TV.

I watched it at 4.30 am at the Clapham Grand hotel in West London, cursing that I was due to be back in Australia a week later. There were probably more Aints fans there than Pies. Whether for that reason, or the time of day, it was a surreal feeling, in some ways hard to connect to the emotion of it, except that a draw was (in a strange sense) the best possible result for me. Apart from the tiprat moment, and Maxy's monumental acts in that last quarter, and Goddard's mark, I barely recall any of it.

A week later I was in the stands at the G, watching the replay. I missed out on a ticket in 1990 despite seeing every game that year as an ordinary member, and I had been there in 1977-81, so it was pretty emotional to finally watch us win one. I look forward to seeing the documentary.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Should have been an hour+ longer, disappointed with the limited interviews.
Not as extensive as a normal Final Story.
Again they got hold of some fabulous GF footage.

Eddie telling the Elsie Rose Story had me in tears remembering how we all felt at 3/4 time, the sense of another tragedy arriving.

Dixon does know how to get the emotion into these features, but the formula is becoming a little stale and out of the box.

6 out of 10.
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:27 pm

What a rollercoaster ride that game was.
I was at Myer Music Bowl with a heap of other Pies fans who couldn't get a ticket for the game.
Great start, we were on fire. I think I recall Daisy wobbling a goal through from the boundary a long way out. I was taking that as an omen that it was going to be our day. That seemed right the way we played the first quarter, with a couple of other quick goals. All I remember is the nerves and palpitations building after that. I remember a brief feeling of relief and thinking we were home when Leon put us 14 in front. Then the horror of Hayes booting a goal from +50 m. I'm pretty sure at that point I was about a bees knob away from throwing up/passing out/massive coronary. The rest of the game was just gut-wrenching as it appeared we were going to blow our great start yet again.
Walked away thinking there was no way we were getting back up the next week.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:32 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Eddie telling the Elsie Rose Story had me in tears remembering how we all felt at 3/4 time, the sense of another tragedy arriving.

Like half of 2003, numbing.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:35 pm

More about the Aints then Collingwood
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:36 pm

BBHS wrote:
I still remember feeling sick in the stands as StKilda came home strong. Feeling like we should have had the game dusted at Half Time. Almost resigned to the fact it was gone. Then....Maxy

IF Cloke Kicked Straight late in the 2nd the game would of felt like it would been Gone from St Kilda

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:43 pm

Thank Maxy for the 2010 premiership. Without him we were cooked that day. We were very ordinary for most of game. StKilda had the three best players on the field in Lenny Hayes, Goddard and Fischer in the backline. Disagree with the commentary that StKilda were in that window to win a premiership. They may have been unlucky against us and Geelong in grand finals, but Roos Lyon insists on playing hacks who are unlikely ever going to be premiership players. Just don't cop the comments that StKilda were flattened after the game and couldn't get themselves up for the following week. If they say that why are they saying that if the game had gone extra time they would have won. Can't remember any StKilda players being injured in GF1, while we had a few sore players. By finals time in 2010 we were at least an 8 goal better side than StKilda, so whatever preparation after GF1 that StKilda did versus what we did wasn't going to make any difference in the grand final replay in my view. Goldsack replacing Davis in GF2, Luke Ball tightening up against Lenny Hayes and better field conversion at shots for goals restored the natural justice in GF2.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:58 pm

Two things I took out of that documentary.Justice was done that day.If Milne had kicked the winning goal it would have been the greatest football injustice of all time,so thank God it didn't happen.

And Ben Johnson,you've just got to love him.He was always one of my favourite players,and after watching that show last night I love him even more. Smile
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:11 pm

I really enjoyed the doco, it took me back, paying approx $1000 for a ticket and not having a clue what to do when the siren went.

As other posters stated 2 absolute sitters from Clokey in the second and then a terrible third quarter. Went from how far to oh no not again.

The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoREIlDTYs

Link to it

uncanny 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Like some other posters I haven't watched a replay of that game so this was an excellent way to revisit it. Things that made the most impression on me from the doco...
The feral mood overpowering the MCG in the preliminary final thumping of the cats. Most enjoyable night at a pies game ever by a country mile. That atmosphere is what we need to get back to. Only one way for that to happen and that's to get back to the big games and smash the opp again like that.
Eddie's passion for the club. Telling Senator Conroy to shut the F^&& up when he was high fiving at half time, a repeat of the carry on in the huddle at 3q time in 77 apparently.
How much pressure was on both sides but especially the pies because of all those titanics in grand finals.
Leon finally goaling in a gf.
The feeling that it was gone after perhaps the best mark in a gf ever then goal from Goddard. And yes MGH3536, he confirmed that he is a cock. Not that there was any doubt. Hey BJ, how about you show Riewoldt's missus some respect and help her set the table rather than walk out of the house and not come back in until she has done it, as expected according to your "routine". Please. Arrogant prick must have been waited on like he is a baby all his life.
Riewoldt nearly the match winner twice. Nearly kicked the sealer that Maxy stopped and a great mark at the death to send them forward rather than have it knocked out of bounds and we win from there.
We lose without Maxwell deciding he had to to risk losing the game by taking it on to create a chance for us to win. And that he did with a fine mark and play on through the middle which led to Cloke's goal.
Milne waiting for the bounce rather than going for the half volley and scoop the ball up. He said he had to dive. No he didn't. He wilted under pressure. Took the easy option. So it's not luck that they lost it but lack of ticker. No wonder he's replayed it in his mind thousands of times.
How much better MM and Eddie handled the aftermath compared to Ross cynical sarcastic Lyon. The most over rated coach in history.
How much better the feeling was the following week.

Hoe we can get back up there soon. missing September action big time...

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Maxwell played a great game that day, but he was wrong at the end, had it gone into extra time, I reckon the saints may have pinched it, they seemed fresher. But hey, we played in the last drawn GF ever, yet again we make history, there are those who read about history, there are those who make history.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 pm

I recorded it. I'll sit down to watch it at a time when I'm in the right mood and there's no sharp objects within reach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: