Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#3 Daniel Wells

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you lose your by a point to Hawthorn and 3 points to the Dogs ?
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:14 am

Now to your Cloke v Wells comparison. Firstly, if you believe anything Damien Barrett says you need to take a good hard look at yourself.
Wells topped North's Brownlow voting. He has not lost his leg speed and still is playing at his best. He has at least 2 years in him. I would suggest if Swan had not had to retire due to injury you would have been happy for him to play on at a similar wage. Swan is 12 months older than Wells. So, just think of Wells as Swan's replacement.
Unlike Cloke he has not been kneed in the back, punched in the back of the head, had multiple blokes hanging off him week in week out for more than a decade. Cloke may be 29 in age, but he has a body of someone who is in their late 30's due to the punishment that his body has been subjected to. In short, his best is behind him, he doesn't want to play with us, so move him on and get someone on the list that is going to help us become a better side because Cloke will not.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:02 am

mooretreloar wrote:
Now to your Cloke v Wells comparison. Firstly, if you believe anything Damien Barrett says you need to take a good hard look at yourself.
Wells topped North's Brownlow voting. He has not lost his leg speed and still is playing at his best. He has at least 2 years in him. I would suggest if Swan had not had to retire due to injury you would have been happy for him to play on at a similar wage. Swan is 12 months older than Wells. So, just think of Wells as Swan's replacement.
Unlike Cloke he has not been kneed in the back, punched in the back of the head, had multiple blokes hanging off him week in week out for more than a decade. Cloke may be 29 in age, but he has a body of someone who is in their late 30's due to the punishment that his body has been subjected to. In short, his best is behind him, he doesn't want to play with us, so move him on and get someone on the list that is going to help us become a better side because Cloke will not.

agreed. Most legitimate contested mark players with fierce courage age more quickly. Even more importantly, they cease to be able to do what they best (take contested marks), even quicker and so their value is diminished quicker.

Compare Dermott Brereton who took beatings week in week out like you wouldn't believe, to Dunstall who to uncontested chest marks on the lead. Brereton was Roccas assistant coach at Collingwood by about 28 and Dunstall was hitting his prime.

With Wells, the only skill he has to lose is leg speed and there is no sign of it. None. Did you see him cut up the pies recently? Other than Varcoe, he might become our quickest player.

Now a cautionary tale. Paul Licuria lost his leg speed over one summer and went from an invaluable runner in our starting midfield to being too slow to keep up with AFL footy, so it does leave you quickly. There are many many examples of players who keep their speed well into their 30s and Wells profiles more like them. Look at KB, Michael Long, Boomer Harvey and many others for examples.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:10 am

themonk wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:
If you think we were the 12th best side in 2016, you must have been going to different games than me. By my estimation we played 12 games with our B side, 6 games with our C side and 4 games with our D side. We beat GWS, WCE and Geelong. Lost by a point to Hawthorn and 3 points to the Dogs. Let's see what we can do with our A side before you start declaring we have no hope of winning a flag in the next 3 years.
WCE from 9th in 2014 to GF in 2015. Geelong and GWS from out of the 8 in 2015 to preliminary finals in 2016. Yes not premiers, but a big jump up the ladder from all. Also, you may remember Collingwood went from 9th in 2001 to a GF in 2002.
The competition is even and I guarantee you this time last year no one thought the Dogs would be in the GF in 2016. Actually, 4 weeks ago no one would have thought they would beat WCE, let alone make the GF.

+1

Yep, the basic problem that all the "we have no hopers" have to overcome is our competitiveness at the top level post-bye. If i can see a well-researched explanation of that i'll be able to entertain the idea that Buckley has lost the players and cannot coach. Until then, I'm a loyal agnostic.

HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 am

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:21 pm

Mugwump wrote:
themonk wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:
If you think we were the 12th best side in 2016, you must have been going to different games than me. By my estimation we played 12 games with our B side, 6 games with our C side and 4 games with our D side. We beat GWS, WCE and Geelong. Lost by a point to Hawthorn and 3 points to the Dogs. Let's see what we can do with our A side before you start declaring we have no hope of winning a flag in the next 3 years.
WCE from 9th in 2014 to GF in 2015. Geelong and GWS from out of the 8 in 2015 to preliminary finals in 2016. Yes not premiers, but a big jump up the ladder from all. Also, you may remember Collingwood went from 9th in 2001 to a GF in 2002.
The competition is even and I guarantee you this time last year no one thought the Dogs would be in the GF in 2016. Actually, 4 weeks ago no one would have thought they would beat WCE, let alone make the GF.

+1

Yep, the basic problem that all the "we have no hopers" have to overcome is our competitiveness at the top level post-bye. If i can see a well-researched explanation of that i'll be able to entertain the idea that Buckley has lost the players and cannot coach. Until then, I'm a loyal agnostic.

Laughing

Given all players / coaches can be said to have positives & negatives & on balance regarding Buckley some posters believe that the positives outweigh the negatives then how much of a role does a coach have in getting the best out of "his" players? In this way, how much of a role did Bucks play in not getting the best out of Cloke?

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Are there any other ways? I require only minimal memory to have maximal conversations.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:23 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
themonk wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:

+1

Laughing

Given all players / coaches can be said to have positives & negatives & on balance regarding Buckley some posters believe that the positives outweigh the negatives then how much of a role does a coach have in getting the best out of "his" players? In this way, how much of a role did Bucks play in not getting the best out of Cloke?

Less than Cloke I'd guess.
HAL 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:26 pm

ROB 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:19 am

ROB wrote:
E wrote:
ROB wrote:
I read an article the other day regarding Boomer and Wells - Wells basically broke down in sympathy with Boomer regarding Boomer not being signed for 2017. I get the impression that Wells is not too happy with the North hierarchy and the treatment of Boomer - maybe that action will sway him our way?

would you give boomer a one year contract if it meant also securing Wells?

I would - not sure if the club will. Boomer may be an improve on a good player currently in the team who would not get selected if Boomer was there. And if Boomer wasn't up to it, he would play VFL like other players who aren't up to it.

So it now looks like Boomer and Wells will both be in black and white next year - maybe my speculation was on the money....now for those damn lotto numbers..

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:20 am

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
themonk wrote:
mooretreloar wrote:

+1

Laughing

S'wot I been asking for yonks

HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:22 am

Are there any other ways? I require only minimal memory to have maximal conversations.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:31 am

ROB wrote:
ROB wrote:
E wrote:
ROB wrote:
I read an article the other day regarding Boomer and Wells - Wells basically broke down in sympathy with Boomer regarding Boomer not being signed for 2017. I get the impression that Wells is not too happy with the North hierarchy and the treatment of Boomer - maybe that action will sway him our way?

would you give boomer a one year contract if it meant also securing Wells?

I would - not sure if the club will. Boomer may be an improve on a good player currently in the team who would not get selected if Boomer was there. And if Boomer wasn't up to it, he would play VFL like other players who aren't up to it.

So it now looks like Boomer and Wells will both be in black and white next year - maybe my speculation was on the money....now for those damn lotto numbers..

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. I thought we learned our lesson with White (though it looks likely to have a happy ending). Wells is the one who will complement our list with the loss of Swan. The other North players don't offer us anything imho. Boomer has been a great champion. He should call it a day as a one club player. Let's leave it as that.
Rush Stand Wing 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:49 am

Anyone else believe Pickering is harbouring a grudge with us ? i.e. Pendles contract stuff a couple of years ago. I smell he might be trying to get Wells to Geelong

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-03/wells-to-keep-roos-waiting-as-he-decides-future
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:06 am

Rush Stand Wing wrote:
Anyone else believe Pickering is harbouring a grudge with us ? i.e. Pendles contract stuff a couple of years ago. I smell he might be trying to get Wells to Geelong

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-03/wells-to-keep-roos-waiting-as-he-decides-future

I doubt Pickering has an issue with Collingwood, ask Swanny.

Maybe Wells just wants to attend the best & fairest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 13 of 27   

Jump to: