Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Collingwood players you have personally seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

droversdog65 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
My late Grandma always told me Dick Lee was the greatest Pie ever.

According to my dad the greatest 'group' ever to play for the Pies was the backline from 'The Machine' - highly talented and absolutely brutal.

Terry Waters is much underrated also, he was just getting into his stride as I started following the Pies in my boyhood. One of the finest marks we have had - they called him 'sticky fingers' - and with good reason.

I can remember dad walking me out onto Victoria Park oval just before the boys came off the ground. Dad had a word to them and the great man (Terry) hunkered down beside me and asked me my name. Signed my autograph book and solemnly shook my 10yo hand like I was a real grownup.

For those of you poor blighted young souls who have never experienced this great thrill, this was from a happier and less security conscious times when players used to be accessable to fans Sad

Terry is a great man ! have had many a beer with him, loves chatting to the fans is very tough on our players and gets very annoyed at the modern game.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:36 pm

jatsad wrote:
I've been watching footy since 1966 and have seen many outstanding players so my five are in order of out and out raw football ability.

1. John Greening - Could do anything on the field. Had 14 Brownlow votes in only 7 games when butchered by O'Dea. One of football's greatest tragedies. Would have been a legend of the game .
2. Phil Carmen - Not far behind Greening. Could mark, kick, run with the best of them. Sadly was a hot head which cost the Pies flags.
3. Peter Daicos - Supremely skilled and the greatest knack for the impossible I've ever seen. Cyril would have been his bitch.
4. Nathan Buckley - The supreme professional and easily the best kick of a ball I've seen, Darren Jarman included.
5. Len Thompson - Changed the way ruckmen played. When somebody changes a genre, so to speak, they're special.

Apologies to modern day greats Scott Penldebury and Dane Swan, also greats.

1. John Greening
2. John Greening
3. John Greening
4. Phil Carmen
5. Peter Daicos
6. Nathan Buckley
7. Len Thompson
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:11 pm

Thorold Merrett.

They reckoned he could kick a full chaff bag onto his leading forward's chest from (then) 30 yards.

Loved Thorold's stab passing.

There were a few around, then, who excelled at this. Billy Goggin and Jack Clark, for instance. Gone are those days. Stab pass gone. Drop kick gone.

For you young Pies' fans. From Wiki: "From the Victorian country town Cobden, Merrett was a small footballer who was a keen Richmond fan who wanted to play league football for the Tigers.

At 16 years of age, Merrett was rejected by Richmond legend Jack Dyer because of his light frame, but he was given another opportunity at Victoria Park, where he stood out in a set of practice games for Collingwood just before the 1950 season. It was initially thought by followers and players that he would be 'killed' because of his size (168 cm, 59 kg).

He made his debut for Collingwood in 1950. At the age of 16 he was one of the youngest players in the VFL. Merrett played as a wingman and won respect for the accuracy and speed of his stab kick (which he had mastered on his farm as a kid by kicking stab passes through a suspended tyre).[1] He became one of the best players in the competition despite his unusually small stature for a league footballer. In 1952, Merrett came equal sixth in the Brownlow Medal, and won a top three finish in the Copeland Trophy. A year later he again finished in the top 10 in the Brownlow Medal and celebrated the 1953 premiership with the Magpies, when he was one of the best players in the Grand Final.

In years that followed, Merrett performed consistently and he continued to be regarded as one of the best kicks in the league, as well as one of the best wingmen. He played in two losing Grand Finals in 1955 and 1956 (he had also played in the 1952 losing side). In 1958, Merrett changed roles to become a rover, and it succeeded.

He won the club Best and Fairest and the Pies also won the 1958 flag, with Merrett named best on ground. In 1959, he again starred as a rover, winning a second consecutive Copeland Trophy, and finishing in the top 10 in the Brownlow Medal for a third time (he ended up with 77 career Brownlow votes)."

Footnote: Current Essendon players Jackson and Zach Merrett are Thorold's great nephews.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
jatsad wrote:
I've been watching footy since 1966 and have seen many outstanding players so my five are in order of out and out raw football ability.

1. John Greening - Could do anything on the field. Had 14 Brownlow votes in only 7 games when butchered by O'Dea. One of football's greatest tragedies. Would have been a legend of the game .
2. Phil Carmen - Not far behind Greening. Could mark, kick, run with the best of them. Sadly was a hot head which cost the Pies flags.
3. Peter Daicos - Supremely skilled and the greatest knack for the impossible I've ever seen. Cyril would have been his bitch.
4. Nathan Buckley - The supreme professional and easily the best kick of a ball I've seen, Darren Jarman included.
5. Len Thompson - Changed the way ruckmen played. When somebody changes a genre, so to speak, they're special.

Apologies to modern day greats Scott Penldebury and Dane Swan, also greats.

1. John Greening
2. John Greening
3. John Greening
4. Phil Carmen
5. Peter Daicos
6. Nathan Buckley
7. Len Thompson

I suspect that your judgement on John Greening and Phil Carmen is spot on. Going by what other people say about JG he was almost the Don Bradman of VFL.
I never had the pleasure to see him.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:18 pm

Google 'John Greening Collingwood' there is utube footage of the great man.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:33 pm

^^ Thanx DD65
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:51 pm

3rd degree wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
My late Grandma always told me Dick Lee was the greatest Pie ever.

According to my dad the greatest 'group' ever to play for the Pies was the backline from 'The Machine' - highly talented and absolutely brutal.

Terry Waters is much underrated also, he was just getting into his stride as I started following the Pies in my boyhood. One of the finest marks we have had - they called him 'sticky fingers' - and with good reason.

I can remember dad walking me out onto Victoria Park oval just before the boys came off the ground. Dad had a word to them and the great man (Terry) hunkered down beside me and asked me my name. Signed my autograph book and solemnly shook my 10yo hand like I was a real grownup.

For those of you poor blighted young souls who have never experienced this great thrill, this was from a happier and less security conscious times when players used to be accessable to fans Sad

Terry is a great man ! have had many a beer with him, loves chatting to the fans is very tough on our players and gets very annoyed at the modern game.

As a kid, Terry Waters was my favourite player, until a young kid named Johnny Greening arrived in 1968. For pure brilliance, I have been fortunate to enjoy the thrill of watching the genius of Greening, Daicos and Carman. They were each brilliant and head and shoulders above all their peers, but without doubt, number 22 was the best of them all.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:31 pm

1. Daicos
2. Buckley
3. Swan
4. Pendles

Only started following footy closely in the mid eighties

BHPIE 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Mckenna
Price
Daicos
Pants
G. Brown
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:49 am

Travis Cloke by a mile
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:51 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Travis Cloke by a mile

Born yesterday ?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:05 am

Donny wrote:
Thorold Merrett.

They reckoned he could kick a full chaff bag onto his leading forward's chest from (then) 30 yards.

Loved Thorold's stab passing.

There were a few around, then, who excelled at this. Billy Goggin and Jack Clark, for instance. Gone are those days. Stab pass gone. Drop kick gone.

For you young Pies' fans. From Wiki: "From the Victorian country town Cobden, Merrett was a small footballer who was a keen Richmond fan who wanted to play league football for the Tigers.

At 16 years of age, Merrett was rejected by Richmond legend Jack Dyer because of his light frame, but he was given another opportunity at Victoria Park, where he stood out in a set of practice games for Collingwood just before the 1950 season. It was initially thought by followers and players that he would be 'killed' because of his size (168 cm, 59 kg).

He made his debut for Collingwood in 1950. At the age of 16 he was one of the youngest players in the VFL. Merrett played as a wingman and won respect for the accuracy and speed of his stab kick (which he had mastered on his farm as a kid by kicking stab passes through a suspended tyre).[1] He became one of the best players in the competition despite his unusually small stature for a league footballer. In 1952, Merrett came equal sixth in the Brownlow Medal, and won a top three finish in the Copeland Trophy. A year later he again finished in the top 10 in the Brownlow Medal and celebrated the 1953 premiership with the Magpies, when he was one of the best players in the Grand Final.

In years that followed, Merrett performed consistently and he continued to be regarded as one of the best kicks in the league, as well as one of the best wingmen. He played in two losing Grand Finals in 1955 and 1956 (he had also played in the 1952 losing side). In 1958, Merrett changed roles to become a rover, and it succeeded.

He won the club Best and Fairest and the Pies also won the 1958 flag, with Merrett named best on ground. In 1959, he again starred as a rover, winning a second consecutive Copeland Trophy, and finishing in the top 10 in the Brownlow Medal for a third time (he ended up with 77 career Brownlow votes)."

Footnote: Current Essendon players Jackson and Zach Merrett are Thorold's great nephews.

jack Dyer summed up Thorold the best mate, when the tigers were chasing him as a young recruit, dyer said, "That kid can stab kick a ball up a chooks arse from thirty yards, no problem." Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:01 am

droversdog65 wrote:
Google 'John Greening Collingwood' there is utube footage of the great man.

I humbly suggest that Greening was looking likely to be the greatest player ever to play Aussie rules.
Cut down by a mongrel.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:01 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
1. Daicos
2. Buckley
3. Swan
4. Pendles

Only started following footy closely in the mid eighties

You missed Daicos best years - including his debut game when we won by 178 points.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:23 pm

This is the last quarter of the Vic v SA State Game of 1973.
Len Thompson dominates the ruck, Wayne Richardson roves superbly & Phil Carman is all over it for SA kicking 4 goals.

If you have a spare 30 minutes you'll get to see how great those 3 were in their prime.

https://youtu.be/VTB_rc3ekU4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: