Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Collingwood players you have personally seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 pm
Post subject: Best Collingwood players you have personally seen.Reply with quote

Well it's off season at last after a trying year and I noticed a similar thread on BF so thought I'd test the waters here.

Been watching the Carringbush since 1964 and seen a hellava lot of guys don the stripes so for me it goes something like this.

For sheer mesmerising talent and the ability to terrify the opposition no player comes in the same cosmos as Daicos. From his first 20+ posession game in '79 he tortured centremen and ruck rovers alike. We all know of the stress fractures and other injuries that almost ended his career, few could remould their game and become one of the all time greatest small forwards in the history of the game but Daicos did - and with distinction. He changed the game and left an indelible mark far beyond Victoria Park. Peter Daicos - a name to conjure with.

Probably the most talented ruckman to ever pull on the stripes Len Thompson, really the very earliest forerunner of the modern ruckman. Lovely hands either tapping or grabbing the sherrin and more than adequate kick. Much more of an athlete than the then current run of ruckman he was a lynchpin and carried our rucks for many years.

The toughest Pie I've ever watched was Des Tuddenham, the guy was made of iron and woe betide any opposition player who ran through a Collingwood small man when Tuddy was on the field.

Wayne Richardson gets my nod for rover - tough and skillfull with acute skill at reading the play.

For sheer physical attributes and accross the board skill levels few could have matched John Greening, had he not been almost killed on the field there is little doubt he would have been an all time great of not only the club but the VLF as well. A prodigious talent cut short before it even reached it's prime.

Courage for me is exemplified by Browny, no player ever thought less of their safety when the game was to be won, no player played with his heart on his sleeve more. As many have said, if I wanted a player to play for my life it would be Gav.

My 'most talented numbnuts award' would have to go to 'Fabulous Phil' - surely the most supremely gifted footballer and athlete we have ever had at the club. When focussed on the game who could do absolutely anything he desired. Sadly focus was a fragile thing for Phil, any percieved slight was enough to put him off his game and up before the judiciary. A sadly wasted talent.

Our current coach is certainly a Collingwood great but defies pidgeon holing for me. Possessed of a frightening ability to focus, his dedication to improvement of physique, skill and football knowledge is legendary. Was absolutely the finest kick I have ever seen over 50 meters and above and a much underrated mark. Perfectionism is his byword and he applies it most rigorously to himself. That is both his greatest strength and his most enduring weakness. FIGJAM for some, the greatest Collingwood player in recent times for others, Buckley as a man and footballer will always draw extremes in perception.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Daicos would have become the greatest ever AFL player if he hadn't been limited to hobbling around the forward line for most of his career.
As brilliant as his goal kicking was, he was equally elusive and his passing to teammates was beyond elite.

Gavin Brown's courage and one-on-one ball winning ability was phenomenal and was crucial in delivering us that premiership.

Daicos and Browny for me.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Best two [hard to split] for pinpoint accuracy delivering the ball to a teamate

No way could an opponent chop it off or spoil it

I give you Barry "Bubba "Price and Thorrold "Thupence" Merrett

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:10 pm

Actually barry Peter McKenna was just Bubba's thumb puppet lol. They made a wonderful pair.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Pete often said it took till Tuesday before bruised chest and ribs felt better
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:13 pm

CC in those early years of Daicos' he would double fake, triple and even quadruple fake opponents til he had them chasing their own shadows. He was more elusive standing still than the best centremen of his day were going flat out on the best days of their lives.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Sorry for double up --we nicknamed Thorrold "Thruppence "
Rekon he could on a tray bit ( threepence)

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:21 pm

What about a pocket toughie that Leigh Matthews steared clear of
Stan Magro

Bandy legged Stan-my old man reckoned if they straighten his legs he would have a six footer

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Shute---He would have been six footer
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:26 pm

One of our quickest ever rovers, Ronnie Wearmouth - always brought the crowd to their feet when Ronnie grabbed the pill and opened the throttle.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Jason Wild and Tony Armstrong for me.......... Twisted Evil Razz Laughing Cool
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:31 pm

Greening for mine. Old man always says that's because I never got to see Bobby Rose play.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Yep jack, my old man watched 'the machine' from the outer as a young man and lived and breathed Collingwood - straight out of Clifton hill secondary and directly into the shoe factory in those tribal days of Saturday arvo bloodbaths.

Dad always said that Rose was the best he had seen - tough and immensely talented on both sides but I never got to see him play.
npalm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm the same vintage as you DD65 and agree with all the players listed in the OP. I think Pendles and Swanny can be added to that list of champs.

All the great players have that ability to make time seem to stand still as they weave thru traffic. Pendles has that ability in spades.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm

Lazza wrote:
Jason Wild and Tony Armstrong for me.......... Twisted Evil Razz Laughing Cool

Did Stuart Atkin have them covered?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: