Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Collingwood players you have personally seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckley - Just super, super consistent. Always gave his all, so creative and damaging with his elite kicking on either foot. Never beaten.

Apologies to Daicos, Swan, Burns and Clement.

Second apology to Bradley Plain Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I only moved to Melbourne in 85, so prior to that my perceptions were from the highlights on TV going back to the mid 70's.

I only had the opportunity to go to regular games from roughly 10 years ago, so again, my perceptions are mostly from TV.

Daics and Moore I loved from when they started. Daics was the magician, Moore the prototype.

Carmen was the second most talented footballer I've ever seen from any team any time.

Who's first Stui? Ablett Snr?

yeah. he was Carmen on steroids. His brute strength to go with the skill was just incredible.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Pacino wrote:
All the players mentioned are worthy contenders. One thing that has always irked me is that Peter McKenna, the best exponent of the drop kick for goal that has ever played the game gets so little recognition as one of the greatest full forwards. He regularly kicked over 100 goals and in two successive years kicked 136 and 146 goals as I recall. The year he kicked 146 goals he played state football and missed the opportunity of kicking 150 goals as a result. Yet whenever great full forwards are mentioned John Coleman and Peter Hudson get the acknowledgement. It is as though he never played the game.

I hear you Pacino but the thing to remember with Macca is that he was really a one trick pony - leading to a pocket and kicking accurately from the chest mark. Hudson was a more complete player, just as damaging from the ground contest as from the set kick.
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:53 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
If you add John Greening (debut 1968) to any Pies side up til 78 (10 year career is reasonable to assume for such a player) and we would have won at least 3 more flags in that time.

YES

He was THAT good, we went so close so often in that period.

Add a fabulous Phil that someone had somehow got to think properly to that mix and the flag tally could easilly have grown to 4 - 5.

YES

Fab was THAT good too.

We had some mighty teams in that period and those two would have made us a powerhouse to make the modern day Bears/Eagles/Cats/Hawks look like schoolyard teams.

Yeah - Greening for me too - poetry in motion. He was 20 years ahead of his time. Fast, agile, courageous, inventive, highly skilled in all facets and, because he really was perfect, a lovely bloke too. He was working at the Commonwealth Bank at Melb Uni in 1971 and gave me his autograph with a big smile.
Carman was skilled and courageous - I saw him kick a bag at Moorabbin one day, but he was unreliable when we needed him.
I remember the banner at the members stand goal at Vic Park - it simply read "Tuddy Above All".
I saw Len Thompson's first game, which was a final against Essendon in 1965 (the same game that Duncan Wright dropped John Somerville), and he was a champion from the first bounce.
The Peter McKenna (moptop hair like the Beatles and of course he released a record too) phenomenon had to be seen to be believed and never forget the year that Hudson equalled Pratt's 150 goal season, McKenna managed a pretty useful 147.
Colin Tully was a magnificent kick - the equal of the great Barry Price.
Nothing I can add about Daicos that hasn't already been said.
Can I add a couple of unsung heroes who were pretty useful too. Micky McGuane was a joy to watch.
And one of my all-time favourite memories was the day Phil Manassa bumped Lethal and caught him on the head, right in front of the Members Social Stand. Matthews went down like a palette of bricks and the crowd went wild. The trainers got him to his feet but he was staggering and could not stand straight. Manassa was King of Collingwood that day. These days he'd be on two weeks reduced to one for a guilty plea.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:54 pm

Too young, just, to fully appreciate Greening, but acknowledge his immense skills/talent. Purely on talent...Carmen, by a street 80% wasted on dumb arse brainfarts etc.
So for me ..all round, consistency, brilliance wise, wow factor and shear skills has to be the great man himself,..the Macedalian Marvel..

PETER DAICOS Daics!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:51 am

jackcass wrote:
Greening for mine. .....

Greening for me too.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:28 am

Just a tad too young for the Greening, Carmen, Thompson, Tuddenham conversations.
Love to read these threads though!!!!! Very Happy

My favourite player in my lifetime - Gavin Brown.
You could almost use his style of play as a lesson on life; honest, hard, courageous, respectful, versatile, adaptable, talented.

Peter Daicos was doing things before his time.
As jatsad mentioned earlier, anyone who actually changes how the game is played is very very special.

Nathan Buckley came as a good player, a very good player in fact, but did have some deficiencies early on. Finished as the complete footballer though.

Too early for Swan and Pendlebury. The legend needs to grow a little over the years to be mentioned in these conversations. Very Happy
Let's hope we're talking about the likes of Moore, Aish, de Goey, Grundy, Treloar in these conversations in 20 years time!!

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:11 am

Greening easily. A s I have said in previous discussions if it wasn't for the scum Jeans and O Dea we win a few grand finals. 77 and 79 come to mind.

Daicos
Brown
Buckley
Len Thompson
Millane (gone way too soon and we would have probably won in 92)

London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:19 am

Of those I've seen a bit of live, Greening, Daicos, Thommo. (left Oz in 93, only see a game or two live at best in a year now)

Carman for a season or three.

Tuddy and Millane were tough as too. (no disrepect to Brown.. gutsy as they come)

If Greening played for any other club, they'd have a medal named after him.

and best player ever..G Ablett senior...would smash any of the superheroes of today.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:20 am

Similar thread a couple months back.

Hard to spilt Buckley/Pendles/Swan. But I think Bucks.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:17 am

Peter McCormack, Ricky Barham, Michael Gayfer & Alan Richardson.
London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 am

Greening gold wrote:
These days he'd be on two weeks reduced to one for a guilty plea.

'These days' I think you'd add six weeks 'cos he was a Hawk!
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:57 am

For those of you who have never seen the great John Greening tear teams apart some utube vision showing his pace, evasiveness and absolute mastery in the air. He was quite simply the complete package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0IKMdhUjU
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:08 pm

King Monkey wrote:
My favourite player in my lifetime - Gavin Brown.
You could almost use his style of play as a lesson on life; honest, hard, courageous, respectful, versatile, adaptable, talented.

Rowdy certainly played the best individual game I have ever seen when he was sent to full back (by Lethal?) to play on Garry Ablett Snr at the top of his game, and the latter hardly had a kick (from memory).

It was the equivalent of dropping Pendles back to play on Buddy.
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:36 pm

1st - P.Daicos
2nd - N.Buckley
3rd - B.Rose
4th - G.Coventry
5th - S.Pendlebury
6th - J.Reagan
7th - H.Collier
8th - D.Swan
9th - G.Brown
10th - D.Millane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: