Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:50 pm
Post subject: Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?Reply with quote

I'm remain a bit non-plussed about this pick.

Not sure what to make of it. I'd like to ask the regular watchers of the VFL & others what they think about this selection.

Of course I will refrain from the bold statement "time will tell"

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no other alternative except time my friend- time will time
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:23 pm

He was described as a project player when we surprisingly recruited him, and that he remains.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:27 pm

Brayden's one of those big-bodied midfielders that some posters say we never draft. 190cm and 91kg at 17 years of age. From Hine's comments when we drafted him we knew he'd take some time. Taken at 32 we felt he had more chance of developing and becoming a real contributor than others, but that he needed to work on his fitness.

At 17, he was one of the youngest players in the draft, so far too early to say much about his success. Wills did alright in his first year as a similar type, but he's 5-6 years older.

Quote:

Hes a boy that shows extreme power and although hes a work in progress, hes certainly worth the investment, Hine told Collingwood Media in Adelaide.

Quote:

Despite being one of the youngest players in the draft, Siers 91kg frame allows him to out-body a number of opponents.

Quote:

While listed as a midfielder, the 17-year-old describes himself as an all-rounder.

Im predominantly a midfielder I can play up forward as well and even down back whenever its necessary, he said.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:49 pm

see where he is over the next 3 years.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:51 pm

Will be a wait and see.... A player who went after him in the draft rhys mathieson who was linked to the Pies. Already playing fairly decent senior footy. He was widely tipped as a early 20's pick.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:58 pm

Not a lot of patience by this "poster Tully"! Love the selection provided Sier has the work ethic, commitment and appreciation for the Pies investment.
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:19 am
Post subject: Re: Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:

Not sure what to make of it. I'd like to ask the regular watchers of the VFL & others what they think about this selection.

I did see Sier at VFL level about half a dozen times and kept a keen eye on him. In all games Sier lined up on the ball however made little impact. The glimpses I did see of him with ball in hand were good. He's got very clean hands in congestion and once he has the ball his first instinct was to either give a quick handball or free his arms from any tacklers and then dish off. This was a very common trait that I noticed and because of his size he's able to take a tackle and still release. Unfortunately I reckon his fitness level held him back on what type of impact he was having on games.
The club were clearly developing him as an inside midfielder as he was in most centre bounces that I saw. He rarely kicked so I can't comment on how his kicking is. Most of his work was done in tight.
Definitely worth persisting with Sier especially after a couple more pre-seasons under the belt. I believe he doesn't turn 19 until December. Once he works on his tank we'll have a better idea whether he'll make it. Looking forward to seeing him play again next year with the likes of Daicos, Brown etc.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:36 am
Post subject: Re: Brayden Sier - what do /can we we make of his selection?Reply with quote

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I did see Sier at VFL level about half a dozen times and kept a keen eye on him. In all games Sier lined up on the ball however made little impact. The glimpses I did see of him with ball in hand were good. He's got very clean hands in congestion and once he has the ball his first instinct was to either give a quick handball or free his arms from any tacklers and then dish off. This was a very common trait that I noticed and because of his size he's able to take a tackle and still release. Unfortunately I reckon his fitness level held him back on what type of impact he was having on games.
The club were clearly developing him as an inside midfielder as he was in most centre bounces that I saw. He rarely kicked so I can't comment on how his kicking is. Most of his work was done in tight.
Definitely worth persisting with Sier especially after a couple more pre-seasons under the belt. I believe he doesn't turn 19 until December. Once he works on his tank we'll have a better idea whether he'll make it. Looking forward to seeing him play again next year with the likes of Daicos, Brown etc.

I was just about to post on this, hut you have summed up my own thoughts and observations perfectly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will add that his kicking is alright without being anything special, although he can give it a roost when he connects. The goal he kicked against Williamstown from 65-70 out on the run (which landed about 10-15m short and skidded through) sticks in my mind. And he can lay a mean tackle too.

Got pretty banged up this year, though. Missed 6 weeks either side of the mid-season bye with a broken hand, then missed a couple more with concussion, then sat out the remainder of the year with a back injury sustained in the gym (for which he has apparently had surgery).

Park this discussion for another 2 to 3 years, in my view. Is very much the project player...

Achilles 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:06 am

If he was entering the draft this year where would he go? Top 10?[/code]
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:00 am

Will win six Brownlows.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 am

Given the time we put into Corey Gault, I'm happy to wait and see.
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 am

Kennedy from the swans and jobe Watson were both slow developers, and are similar types to Sier. Dekker and Bucks no doubt hoping that he is somewhere near as good, buts he's coming from a long way back with his fitness. His attitude is supposed to be first class though, and is desperate to succeed by all reports
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:38 am

In my view we should have rookied him and seen off Essendon's bluff to draft him. One day he might become a player, but at the moment I place him in the Wyatt camp of being very raw and underdeveloped. He has the ideal build for a mid and moves well and handles the ball well, but the downside is that he has little or no involvement on the football field and is therefore a liability until he can figure out what AFL footy is about.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:03 am

No idea why we picked him. He reminds me of a shite version of Wills.

At pick 32 however, it was probably worth the risk...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: