Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stephen Conroy resigns

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:03 pm
Post subject: Stephen Conroy resignsReply with quote

Labor right stalwart and architect of the failed internet filter Stephen Conroy has unexpectedly called it quits.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/sep/16/stephen-conroy-resigns-from-the-senate

Post your tribute here! I'm going to kick things off on a respectful note:

https://youtu.be/PHQLQ1Rc_Js

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ROFL.

I'll say something nice about him.

For all of his many many faults, he was a Collingwood supporter.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:22 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Will be remembered for trying to introduce internet censorship in this country.

He's a Collingwood supporter as Stui noted, so that makes up for his flaws somewhat.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 pm

resigns or resigns?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 pm

^ The thing that you want Buckley to do. Wink
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:34 pm

Jezza wrote:

He's a Collingwood supporter as Stui noted, so that makes up for his flaws somewhat.

He did want Censorship on the Internet that made him look like a Dickhead BUThe would of Done the NBN Correct

roar 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Good riddance.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:07 am

I'm more annoyed that he quits not long after being elected. This should be a financial penalty for any Politician. He states "Family Reasons". They didn't just happen, those reasons have been there. In fine print has been offered a great job in the private sector. He gets the golden of all handshakes as he departs Parliament.

As for what he has done? Nothing as the NBN we will get will be a dial up version.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:07 pm

Jezza wrote:

Nonsense. He won't be remembered for that. He will be remembered as the father of the NBN. That is already the main thing he is known for, and in the future it will be the only thing Conroy is remembered for. The NBN will last for 100 years, probably longer (look at how long copper lasted!), and Conroy was the minister responsible.

His failed push for Internet censorship is already largely forgotten, not least because it did indeed fail, and (b) because an even worse scheme is now in operation, involving not just censorship (all the telcos block certain sites now) but government spying on every site you visit, every phone call you make, and every place you go to every single day: all of this accessible to almost any official in almost any public service or semi-government agency, and all without even needing a search warrant, and all kept on file for at least five years, and all paid for by you.

Many share the blame for this terrible Nazification by stealth, Senator Brandis of the Liberal Party chief amongst them (even though he is so ignorant that he doesn't even know what metadata actually is), with Conroy and various other Labor people actively complicit in the crime.

Culprit wrote:
I'm more annoyed that he quits not long after being elected. This should be a financial penalty for any Politician.

Nonsense again. He is a Senator. Got that? Senator. In other words, the cost to the public purse of replacing him is zero. Not one penny. Unlike the case with an MHR, replacement of a retired or dead Senator does not requite a by-election, a replacement from the same party is simply appointed to the vacancy after a vote by the relevant State Parliament.

Given that Conroy was - NBN credit notwithstanding - generally a bit of a waste of space and might have been happier in the Liberal Party with fossils like Abbott, Abetz and Brandis, the only real result of his resignation is that we get a new Labor Senator who, on the law of averages, is likely to be an upgrade on the old one.

See ya' later Conroy. Thanks for the NBN. That aside, you won't be missed.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:10 pm

To me it is a bit of a surprise.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Father of the NBN?

I fathered a stillborn child, not something I recall fondly

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Conroy's NBN was born alive, healthy, and growing rapidly.

The fact that Mal Turnbull strangled the three-year-old youngster while Abbott was PM and Turnbull was Minister for Castrating the NBN is not relevant to this.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:58 am

Yeah, I'll give him the NBN (which still seems more of an excellent idea in theory than practice, given that we're still a long way from a full roll-out and will never know how good it might have been). But yeah, beyond that ... king of the dodgy right faction, erstwhile ally of his dodgy mate Shorten, passionate opponent of same-sex marriage to the end and the chief salesman of the unholy internet filter proposal that emerged from Labor's marriage to the religious right under Latham and Rudd.

I wouldn't be so quick to forgive him for that latter campaign. Yes, we are worse off now than we were then in terms of internet freedoms, but metadata retention and ongoing back door incursions into site blocking (copyright law etc.) are not the same as the countrywide Net Nanny he wanted to impose on us all. The only silver lining is that it would have been such an expensive disaster that someone – not Abbott, but perhaps Gillard or Turnbull – would have ended up dumping it. Which is to say, his saving grace was his government's incompetence. If not for that, we might have ended up with something more terrifying than even George Brandis could dream up.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:02 am

David wrote:
the NBN ... still seems more of an excellent idea in theory than practice, given that we're still a long way from a full roll-out and will never know how good it might have been

But we do know. Those of us who have NBN (the real thing, I mean, not the castrated Turnbull version) known exactly what it's like. it just works. Fast. Reliable. Unaffected by most of the things that take down copper networks (such as, in particular, rain - copper hates getting wet while fibre couldn't care less).

Roll out was always going to take ten years, give or take. That hasn't changed. What has changed is that they are now rolling out a vastly inferior system which works OK for now but can't be upgraded and will have to be replaced within the next decade, at horrendous extra expense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: