Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

I'm back!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, good point Stui Cool

Well, I had the appointment with the company doctor. He was a nice bloke. Went through the whole process from when I first noticed the lump, discussed the rarity of the condition, the operation and the prognosis. He was pretty much feeling me out and where I'm at mentally.

He explained it was a major ordeal and operation to go through and while I'm pretty much physically fine to go back to work, he still wants me to ease back into it. Stop the tramadol completely, get some blood tests done to check thyroid function and see my GP again for results before heading back. Meaning I don't go up tomorrow and do a full swing, he wants me to go up next Monday and just do 3 days to start with... suits me, I get to watch the game at home on Friday night Very Happy

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:55 pm

Getting some withdrawal symptoms. Nothing serious, felt a bit crook and almost spewed a few times, sleeping has been a bit off, a fair bit of aches a d pains and restless legs.
Hasn't been unbearable, but the call by the Doc to not go up on Wednesday was probably a good one.

It's a big problem with pain killers that screws up plenty of people. I was only on them for 7 weeks.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:29 pm

Skids wrote:
Getting some withdrawal symptoms. Nothing serious, felt a bit crook and almost spewed a few times, sleeping has been a bit off, a fair bit of aches a d pains and restless legs.
Hasn't been unbearable, but the call by the Doc to not go up on Wednesday was probably a good one.

It's a big problem with pain killers that screws up plenty of people. I was only on them for 7 weeks.

Take as much time as you need Skids, listen to the docs and be honest with them and yourself!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:51 pm

Some of those painkillers can be very addictive if you've been on them a while, but you quit drinking so you can do this. Just hang in there, the ride gets better.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:47 am

Cheers guys.
Fly home today after my big 3 days on-site and yes, I think it was a great call by the doc. I've just been working at a steady pace, the team here are very supportive which has need fantastic.
Getting into the routine of things, getting up early, long days with a bit of physical work has been tiring, but a good platform to build on.

*Just got home 1930WST, 2hrs late. Both planes delayed today at work. Wild weather. Had to change a tyre on the truck on the side of the highway first thing and that set the tone for my day. Glad to be home, I'm exhausted.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:19 pm

A full swing down and day 3 of the second one.

Last week on R n R I stepped up the working out a bit. Lots of long walks with the dog, a few short weights (light) sessions and 3 swims. The swims were only 500m each time.
Man, definitely felt it through the whole body.

Well, life has thrown me another curve ball.

A previous boss from another site has just contacted me. He's taken on a role as maintenance manager at a new Lithium mine over here. He's offering me a position that not only pays circa $30k above what I'm on now, but is guaranteed to run (mine life) for the rest of my working life... plus another decade or 2 after that.

After what the team/company did for me here I'm having trouble deciding what to do.... this place only has 3 more years mine life. The company do have other mine sites and anything could happen in that time, they could make another discovery and open a new mine themselves, 'could' being the big word. I don't want to be looking for a new position @ 60 years of age.

I could take the new job and pay back the shortfall in my leave. I'd owe the company about a months pay. The other option is to stay where I am and see what pans out over the next few years.

There's a number of pros and cons. The job offered is on a new site with new facilities etc whereas this place is a run down old bucket that has me doing some pretty undesirable maintenance tasks.

The missus is pretty keen on me taking the new job... what would you do??

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:38 pm

Take on the new job, I say! If it's so much better pay, then that will quickly make up for the leave you have to pay back. And as much as you feel gratitude to your current workplace and don't want to leave them in the lurch, you don't owe it to them to stick around until the bitter end, particularly if they've only got a short period of operation left before shutting down.

Your career and livelihood in the years to come are more important than having a potentially uncomfortable conversation, and I think the people there should understand and respect your decision anyway. If they genuinely want the best for you – and it sounds like they do – then there's every reason to think they'll give you their blessing.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:16 pm

loyalty is a big deal. First question is how long do you intend to keep working?

If you intend to keep working for more than 3 years then it's a no brainer, take the new job. And extra $30K pa is around $360 f/n after tax, pump a chunk of that into Super pretax and let compound interest do it's magic.

people generally don't leave jobs they like for more money but in this case it's not just the money it's the security of employment. Job for as long as you want to work is a big deal. it depends on what you want.

My last 3 jobs before I fell apart were deliberately short term contracts. I was confident that I could work at the level and get employment despite being older and It worked. If you value the security, take it. You've changed jobs before, you'll leave with some friends and no regrets.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Yeah, the new job sounds too good to pass up, Skids.

Most people get the need to take good opportunities, especially given the lifespan aspect of the mine, which makes it quite a different business.

Three years goes pretty quickly, so the pressure to sort your next move out will start dialling up, with that eventually tempting you to take less desirable offers. You'll then likely kick yourself for not taking this offer.

Loyalty has a wider meaning, too. Chances are you'll get the opportunity to do a good turn for some of your current colleagues down the track when they're looking for new opportunities.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:56 am

Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep you posted.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:53 pm

Still undecided and the 5% pay rise we just got here, along with the 60c/share dividend (we have a company match, share salary sacrifice scheme in place) just declared don't make this decision any easier.

I also heard that even once mining finished here, the site will go into care and maintenance mode for a pre agreed period of at least 5 years. This will require a small crew to be left here. I'd be a shoe in for one of those roles.

The official offer from the new mine will be in my hands within a fortnight, so I guess I'll leave the discussions until then.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:39 pm

^I was wondering how you were getting on with that. That's a good predicament to be in, anyhow.

How's the recovery? Fully healed now?

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:43 am

Hey PTID, recovery is going great. Still have some numbness in the neck and did have some itchiness that recently came and went.
Getting my fitness back, albeit very slowly.

Screen in November is the next thing. I'm assuming because of that rarity of what I had there will be plenty of follow up appointments to track how I go.

Cheers.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:03 am

^That's great news. Well done on being patient with it.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:55 pm

I chose to stay with the crew who looked after me through the op and recovery. If the mine shuts shop here and there's no other opportunity with this mob then it'll probably be my signal to call it quits on FIFO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11   

Jump to: